Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Gen 2009 BMW 5-Series Spy Photo's & Artist's Impression ( Updated - Page 3)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 06:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Next Gen 2009 BMW 5-Series Spy Photo's & Artist's Impression ( Updated - Page 3)

This is how BMW's new 5-series saloon is shaping up, three years ahead of its 2009 launch. The sixth-generation 5-series (codenamed F10) is bigger yet lighter, and it should be even better to drive. Most significantly, the design should be far less provocative than the current model's.

Inside information leaked to CAR suggests that the flame surfaces, eagle-eye headlamps and eccentric cutlines of today's BMWs won't appear on the 5-series Mk6. The Munich mid-ranger will be a modern-looking and elegant car, wider, with a longer wheelbase and a more dynamic, ground-kissing stance.

The 5-series has BMW's typical wheel at each corner-look, and the glasshouse looks more coupe-like. The rear end is currently looking a little too close to the Hyundai Sonata's for comfort, however.

Under the skin
Despite being bigger, the base Five will weigh less than the outgoing model, thanks to the use of more exotic, lighter materials. But the rear-drive chassis can be loaded up with clever (and heavy) gadgets.

The 5-series will pioneer active rear suspension kinematics capable of coping with higher g-forces, stability-enhancing active yaw control and the next-generation electronic damper control (EDC) which acts on each wheel individually. Active steering and Dynamic Drive (adjustable anti-roll bars) are familiar options.

The base model will be shod with 17-inch wheels, with fatter 18 and 19in rims optional.

BMW hasn't forgotten about environmental initiatives, though. The diesel engines should get urea injection – as Mercedes is pioneering – to cut nitrogen oxide emissions. A stop/start system and upshift indicator for six-speed manual versions will help reduce fuel consumption, and the engines should be biofuel- and synfuel-compatible. Brake energy-regeneration, in combination with adaptive alternator control, should also save up to 10 percent more fuel too.

The new Five is longer and wider but sits lower than the current saloon. And with the longer wheelbase, there's more room for rear passengers' legs and heads.

Inside, BMW returns to the driver-oriented cockpit. The centre console is angled towards the person in charge, while the new X5's handsome new joystick gear selector should figure. Instead of a conventional handbrake, F10 features an electro-hydraulic parking brake.

Major changes include a brand-new instrument panel with optional head-up display, improved iDrive with a more intuitive feel and a more logical menu structure. A new draught-free four-zone air conditioning system, dubbed Airwave, is standard on all models, sources say.

And the M5…?
The next M5 supersaloon is scheduled to arrive in late 2010, some six months after the Touring (codenamed F11). It should feature an even more potent 5.5-litre 550bhp version of the awesome V10, and it will definitely get a six- or seven-speed derivative of the twin-clutch transmission that's on the way. That means the sequential SMG cogworks as fitted to today's M5 bite the dust.

Words: Georg Kacher
source : carmagazine.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails Next Gen 2009 BMW 5-Series Spy Photo's & Artist's Impression ( Updated - Page 3)-xxx.jpg  
Old 09-19-06, 07:04 AM
ic144
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.

It seems like 2008 GS460 will still be ahead of the game in terms of Horsepower when the 2009 BMW 5 Series comes out.

Lexus GS460: 380 HP 4.6 litre V8 Engine
BMW 540i : 367 HP 4.8 litre V8 Engine

But the turbocharged V8 has just forced Lexus to keep up with competition.

Is it just me, or does the design look even worse than the current 5 Series?
Old 09-19-06, 07:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I like this better than the current already . . .

Still don't like the rear though . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-19-06 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-19-06, 07:30 AM
ic144
Driver

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I like this better than the current already . . .

Still don't like the rear though . . .
That's what I mean. 80% of the time we see a certain car on the road, it's the rear. That's because we're all moving forward (duh!).

I was never a fan of the 5 Series "eyebrow" rear lights. This one looks worse in my opinion. It has that "soft" look instead of the "aggresiveness" the entire market is leaning towards.
Old 09-19-06, 07:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

hell of a lot better than it is now, rear reminds me of the new ES

there isnt such thing as a 540 anymore, its the 550
Old 09-19-06, 08:17 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Man that is one sick looking Camry.
Old 09-19-06, 08:45 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good. I wonder if it'll look better without the rear lights overflowing onto the bootlid.
Old 09-19-06, 08:48 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A turbocharged 550 and 535? Wow, shows how serious they are about their cars. I for one like that aspect of it even if I still am not a huge fan of the overall styling.
Old 09-19-06, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very nice. i am curious why every time bmw mess up teh car so bad and then on the facelift they try to go mild again (assume the pics is similar to the final thing). happened to the 7, and now the 5

the engine lineup is awesome. the twin turbo v8 on the 550 that's no joke man, i think that's going to be a beast. although to certain extend i am a bit sad about bmw not sticking solely on NA engine, which i admir them for a long time
Old 09-19-06, 09:27 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

My god
Old 09-19-06, 09:39 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
very nice. i am curious why every time bmw mess up teh car so bad and then on the facelift they try to go mild again (assume the pics is similar to the final thing). happened to the 7, and now the 5

the engine lineup is awesome. the twin turbo v8 on the 550 that's no joke man, i think that's going to be a beast. although to certain extend i am a bit sad about bmw not sticking solely on NA engine, which i admir them for a long time
N/A can only go so far.

I personally don't like the rear, the front resembles too much of the 3. The rear looks like a Toyota Crown Athlete, kinda old styled. The front I think needs a little reworking to differentiate it from the 3. But the front looks pretty good so far.
Old 09-19-06, 09:41 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the current 5 series has reached the apex of its ugliness. This proves that I was wrong.
Old 09-19-06, 10:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I thought the current 5 series has reached the apex of its ugliness. This proves that I was wrong.
I actually like the current 5.

Too bad this version has many assymetrical and out-of-place lines. It looks like a car that Picasso would make; very cubical and not sleek at all...
Old 09-19-06, 10:52 AM
ic144
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
Yea. That engine is going to be sick. I'm guessing 0-60 in 5 seconds flat or maybe less.
Old 09-19-06, 11:10 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

bigger yet lighter is always a good combo.

Quick Reply: Next Gen 2009 BMW 5-Series Spy Photo's & Artist's Impression ( Updated - Page 3)