Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Toyota Aygo(microcar coming stateside??)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 06:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 2008 Toyota Aygo(microcar coming stateside??)

Prepare to go micro with the 2008 Toyota Aygo

Toyota is developing a two-seat microcar for the U.S. market and thanks to our sources in Europe we have the first exclusive sketches. Expected to be called the 2008 Toyota Aygo, the B-Class city car will provide direct competition for the upcoming 2008 Smart Fortwo two-seater.

Like the Smart, the Aygo is already on sale in Europe, but the coupe you see in our sketches is a fully redesigned version of the current model. Instead of the soft, curvy lines of the present Aygo, the next-generation will have an edgier, more chiseled shape. Up front, the design mimics the Toyota Yaris hatchback although the Aygo's front overhang is considerably shorter. A steeply raked windshield and large doors make the Aygo look bigger while the small quarter windows add a unique profile.

Not much is expected to change on the inside as the current Aygo already has a distinctive cabin design. The 2008 Aygo will continue to use large round dials for the speedometer and tach similar to those favored by Mini. A compact center stack keeps the layout simple and leaves room for extra storage. Unlike the Smart Fortwo, which uses a rear engine design, the Aygo has its drivetrain up front so there's more interior cargo room behind the front seats.

Power won't be this car's selling point as the current model uses a three-cylinder 1.0-liter engine with just 68 horses. A slightly more powerful version of the engine may be used in the U.S. version, however, since most Americans cringe at anything with less than 100 ponies on tap. A majority of Aygos in Europe are sold with a manual transmission, but a good number of the models destined for the States will most likely have some form of an automatic gearbox.

Look for the official debut of the 2008 Toyota Aygo at the Tokyo Motor Show next fall.
Old 09-18-06, 07:42 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2zzge with 6 speed would be fun in that little car
Old 09-18-06, 11:33 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

This would be great for motoring around a congested city where parking is rarer than a sober Lindsay Lohan. But other than that, it's not my cup of tea.
Old 09-18-06, 11:43 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

If I wasn't afraid of being pulverized by larger vehicels in an unfortunate accident, i'd probably buy one of those as a beater.

A 6 speed auto would be ideal to make the most out of the little power it does have but I highly doubt toyota would mate an expensive 6 speed auto in that car.

Here are some specs...
FACTS AT A GLANCE

CAR: Toyota Aygo range
PRICES: £6,745-£9,095 - on the road
INSURANCE GROUP: 1E
CO2 EMISSIONS: 109g/km
PERFORMANCE: [1.0] 0-60mph 14.2s / Max Speed 98mph
FUEL CONSUMPTION: [1.0] (urban) 51.4mpg / (extra urban) 68.9mpg / (combined) 61.4mpg
STANDARD SAFETY FEATURES: Twin front and side airbags on all except entry-level model, ABS, EBD
WILL IT FIT IN YOUR GARAGE?: Length/Width/Height 3405/1615/1415mm

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews...e-1004599.html

Last edited by Ramon; 09-18-06 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 06:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

This should do well when compared to Smart, as I can imagine they will be able to undercut Smart on the price and Toyota quality would speak highly.
Old 09-19-06, 07:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

How can it be called Aygo when there is already different Aygo? Aygo started selling late last year... there is no way there will be redesign that soon.

And there is no reason for anyone to buy Aygo in the USA.. in Europe it is barely any cheaper than Yaris, with yaris having substantially beter everything... Its good for big cities and looks awesome...
Old 09-19-06, 07:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not in N.Y.C. nor L.A. nor San Fran markets...

I don't see this selling as much as I don't see SMART selling in the U.S.

There are few (very few) people that will find this functional. SMART thinks this will work in cities such as NYC, L.A., and San Fran. However, New Yorkers use the subway, L.A. drivers live in their cars and buy the best they can afford, and San Fran is turning into a "scooter" city.

If Toyota decides to sell this, I don't see them selling more than 8-10k units a year. Unless if they market this car for teenagers under Scion, it won't find a functional market to sell to.
Old 09-19-06, 08:43 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good. I like MB's idea with the smart but I thought it wasn't executed well. The interior trim is flimsy and the transmission is jerky. Is there a new 1.3 litre with the new ZR series engine? Maybe it can use that.
Old 09-19-06, 06:13 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edmunds's video (animated illustration) coverage on the Aygo:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116832

I love it. Keep those small efficient cars coming to the States!! Now if only Toyota can get the Daihatsu Copen here I'd be overjoyed.

Old 09-19-06, 07:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I love it. Keep those small efficient cars coming to the States!! Now if only Toyota can get the Daihatsu Copen here I'd be overjoyed.
I actually like the design of the Copen. I've been keeping an eye on it and waiting if Scion will provide it for the U.S. market.

However, I don't think it will pass U.S. safety standards, especially with rollovers. Too bad; it's a really "cute" car...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 09-19-06 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 09:15 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like the current model Toyota Yaris? We've got one here at home and it's damn good on petrol too... the front reminds me of a bulldog

Old 09-20-06, 10:29 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Aygo" in the Korean language is a term meaning "oh my"... and not in a good way. :P
Old 09-20-06, 11:37 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's my mini gs
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Toyota Aygo(microcar coming stateside??)-mini-gs.jpg  
Old 09-20-06, 11:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I remember that Mercury Capri...never quite what the market wanted, but that Daihatsu has always been on my they should import this to the U.S. list. Another one would be the Ford Ka, which we have down here in Mexico.
Old 09-20-06, 03:07 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I actually like the design of the Copen. I've been keeping an eye on it and waiting if Scion will provide it for the U.S. market.
Yeah...Scion would be a good brand to market the Copen in the US. No real need to start another brand name here.
However, I don't think it will pass U.S. safety standards, especially with rollovers. Too bad; it's a really "cute" car...
Not sure why you think it won't pass the safety standards here. Take a look at Copen's official page:
http://www.daihatsu.com/catalogue/copen/04/index.html

It seems to survive the various crash tests including the rollover test quite well.

Oh the Copen Z!! That looks so uber cool. OK, cute. Get it here already!

Quick Reply: 2008 Toyota Aygo(microcar coming stateside??)