Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another Merger Rumor: Ford & GM

Old 09-18-06, 04:50 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Another Merger Rumor: Ford & GM

Report: General Motors & Ford Consider Merger
Executives from Ford and General Motors have discussed a possible merger or alliance, trade publication Automotive News reports in its Monday, Aug. 18, edition. The negotiations began in July after Nissan and Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn broached the possibility of an alliance among Renault, Nissan and GM, according to several sources familiar with the talks. It is not clear who launched the talks. One source says GM CEO Rick Wagoner contacted Ford Motor the day after Ghosn disclosed his plan. A second source disputes that.

In August, GM CFO Fritz Henderson discussed the proposed alliance with Ford CFO Don Leclair, said a source familiar with the talks. But it is not at all clear whether the negotiations will bear fruit. As of now, the two companies are not holding talks, and one source says there is a slim chance that anything will come of it.

GM spokesman Tony Cervone declined to comment on the report.

"We regularly talk to a number of people in the industry regarding business opportunities of mutual interest," Cervone said Friday, Aug. 15. "As a matter of course, we don't comment on any of those because in many cases, they simply don't lead to anything."

Ford spokesman Oscar Suris also declined to comment.

To complicate things, GM is studying the Ghosn proposal to join the Nissan-Renault alliance. GM is two-thirds of the way through a 90-day study, which it is conducting with Renault and Nissan.

Ghosn made his proposal that GM join the Nissan-Renault alliance at the urging of Las Vegas billionaire Kirk Kerkorian, a major GM shareholder.

Old 09-18-06, 04:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Mustangs and Camaros from the same manufacturer?

Hell will freeze over.
Old 09-18-06, 06:14 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They formed an alliance on developing their transverse 6spd automatic trannys which makes a lot of sense, but I could never see them merging.
Old 09-18-06, 07:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alliance? Yes. They will benefit from sharing certain technologies and systems.

Merger? I don't think so. Since both are in debt, they need to figure out ways to decrease their deficit, not make it bigger...
Old 09-18-06, 03:32 PM
xioix
Racer

Doubt a merger would be allowed, because the government would stop that from happening
Old 09-18-06, 03:34 PM
ic144
Driver

Originally Posted by xioix
Doubt a merger would be allowed, because the government would stop that from happening
Yea. The US Antitrust agents are going to stop this merger for sure.
Old 09-18-06, 03:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Just what we need. A Ford Suburban!
Old 09-19-06, 04:08 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ic144
Yea. The US Antitrust agents are going to stop this merger for sure.
I'm not so sure about that. The companies could make a very strong argument that the merger would both benefit the companies (and therefore the employees) and customers. Ford or GM by themselves have proven to be uncompetitive in today's marketplace. With so much foreign competition, they could argue that the ONLY way for them to stay in business is to merge. I doubt any antitrust investigator is going to want to be held responsible for hundreds of thousands of unemployment claims if the companies go out of business because he refused the merger...
Old 09-19-06, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
I'm not so sure about that. The companies could make a very strong argument that the merger would both benefit the companies (and therefore the employees) and customers. Ford or GM by themselves have proven to be uncompetitive in today's marketplace. With so much foreign competition, they could argue that the ONLY way for them to stay in business is to merge. I doubt any antitrust investigator is going to want to be held responsible for hundreds of thousands of unemployment claims if the companies go out of business because he refused the merger...
An anti-trust person wouldn't have the last word anyway. It would very likely end up in the courts.
Old 09-19-06, 10:20 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Iceman
When those two are the two top selling companies in the US and top 3 in the world, they will not be allowed to merge
Old 09-19-06, 11:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i dont see what they could offer each other, I dont see any complimentary technologies, both lost a substantial amount of workers and production plants, if they did merge it would just be like GM or Ford pre cost cutting

Saleen Z06 please
Old 09-19-06, 06:35 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Merger? I don't think so. Since both are in debt, they need to figure out ways to decrease their deficit, not make it bigger...
EXACTLY. Two bad companies DO NOT and have never equaled one good one. Especially two HUGE bad companies...

Javier