Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California bans holding cell phones when driving.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 02:12 PM
ic144
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California bans holding cell phones when driving.

Link Here

OAKLAND, California (Reuters) - California on Friday banned motorists from talking on cell phones unless they use a headset or speakerphone, although the law will not take effect until July 1, 2008, to allow time to educate the public.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who signed the measure, urged Californians not to wait until then to put down their phones while driving, citing government data showing those who held their phones while driving were involved in 15 times more accidents than those with hands-free setups.

"The simple fact is that it is really dangerous to talk on a cell phone and drive at the same time," Schwarzenegger said. "It's very important for people to know ... stop using the cell phone right now, because you are putting people at risk."

Schwarzenegger joked he told his teenage daughter he would take her car away for years if he caught her talking on the phone while driving. "I said I will be driving behind you sometimes and you will not know. I will be spying," he said.

Violators will be fined $20 the first time they are caught and $50 the second time. The new law makes exemptions for those placing emergency calls while driving.

Several other states, including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, have similar bans. California, with 37 million people, is the most populous U.S. state.
Old 09-16-06, 02:16 PM
BobsGX
Racer

NY has had that law for at least a year and every day I see people with the phone to their head while driving. It's not going to make a difference since its not enforced and many times I see cops with a cell phone to their head.
Old 09-16-06, 03:05 PM
xioix
Racer

Should've been done a long time ago
Old 09-16-06, 03:25 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope Florida follows suit.
I can't understand the stupid seat belt rule. Cars are safer than ever. Anti-lock brakes. Air bags. Crunch zones. Reinforced doors. More recently cameras and radar distance control devices.
Motorcycle riders can ride without a helmet but drivers have to use seat belts. Drivers can wig out on cell phones, their mind on some silly conversation instead of the road. I can't stand riding behind someone on a cell. If the conversation is that important, pull over. Even hands free is distracting but at least your hands are free to drive the darn car.
Old 09-16-06, 03:57 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's about time.

Just in the past week or so, I've been in a few dangerous situations where I was almost hit by other drivers. Most of them were on the phone (holding the phone while driving)

When I drive I ALWAYS use my bluetooth headset. I also voice dial or use speed dial. Even scrolling through the phone book is dangerous. I don't care how skilled people think they are when they drive. It only takes a second or 2 of not paying attention to drift into someone else's lane.
Old 09-16-06, 04:14 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by reggiek
I can't understand the stupid seat belt rule. Cars are safer than ever. Anti-lock brakes. Air bags. Crunch zones. Reinforced doors. More recently cameras and radar distance control devices.
Motorcycle riders can ride without a helmet but drivers have to use seat belts. Drivers can wig out on cell phones, their mind on some silly conversation instead of the road. I can't stand riding behind someone on a cell. If the conversation is that important, pull over. Even hands free is distracting but at least your hands are free to drive the darn car.
Are you saying seat belts are useless?
Old 09-16-06, 04:21 PM
ic144
Driver

All those features that you just mentions started to come standard in some cars just over the past 5 to 10 years. That's dating back to the cars of 1996. Some of those features don't even come standard.

Seatbeats come first in any safety checklist in the car regardless which model year it came from. Airbags, ABS, VSC were all added later on.

I don't know about Florida, but all motorcycle drivers and passengers are required to wear helmets in California.
Old 09-16-06, 04:31 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobsGX
NY has had that law for at least a year and every day I see people with the phone to their head while driving. It's not going to make a difference since its not enforced and many times I see cops with a cell phone to their head.
today i couldnt believe it, a bus driver full of kids talking on his cell phone like nothing... damn new yorkers, we are so hard headed lol
Old 09-16-06, 05:01 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Are you saying seat belts are useless?
No, I think they are very useful to anyone who uses them. I prefer to be able to get out of the car as quickly as I need to.

What I was saying is I think it ridiculous to mandate seatbelts in a car full of other safety features yet allow people to drive while using cells and ride motorcycles without helmets.
Old 09-16-06, 05:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
At least it deters people.

If someone gets into an accident and they're on the cell phone, it's a great defense against lawsuits if you have witnesses...
Old 09-16-06, 05:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

In Mexico, it is supposed to be illegal nationally. I once got pulled over by Federal Police who claimed I was using one (was actually scratching my ear). He actually had video in the car, we both looked at it, I was right, but I thanked him, because only one other time have I ever seen a person pulled over for it down here. Was in traffic a police officer from my municipality yelled over to a guy...pointed to his ear...guy was talking on the phone and then waved him over for the ticket.

It is quite so common here to use the phone while in the car. Now, it might be easier (regardless of legality) to talk on the phone in an automatic, but since manual is king down here, I just cannot figure that one out. It drives me nuts when people are going slow in a low gear on the far left lane on a highway and I am trying to move up, and they cannot shift since they can put down the phone.
Old 09-16-06, 05:51 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's about time California passed this law. Good news for cell phone accessory stands at the mall.
Old 09-16-06, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

What's next, banning singing along to songs on the radio and talking to passengers?
Old 09-16-06, 06:40 PM
xioix
Racer

No, I think they are very useful to anyone who uses them. I prefer to be able to get out of the car as quickly as I need to.

What I was saying is I think it ridiculous to mandate seatbelts in a car full of other safety features yet allow people to drive while using cells and ride motorcycles without helmets.
Airbags would **** you up if you don't wear seatbelts to prevent it from smacking you in the face at like 200mph or your head hitting the steering wheel or getting whiplash
Old 09-16-06, 08:16 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I don't think it's a bad idea, but cell phone are just one of dozens of distractions while driving. Lately I've seen people eating entire meals, applying makeup, hitting their kids, reading the newspaper, and changing CDs. These activities are just as dangerous as chatting on a cell phone IMO.

Quick Reply: California bans holding cell phones when driving.