Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 05:44 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ksfrogman
That ECU reprogram is pretty awesome. However, I wonder how low the gas mileage will go. Current specs on the 335i are 20 mpg city, 29 mpg hwy.
He also mentioned that MPG has increased
The gas mileage actually improved according that report.
Old 09-28-06, 06:11 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

MPG has increased. The car was running very lean stock - he said it wasn't a big increase, but noticable on an entire tank.
Old 09-28-06, 06:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,638 Posts

ksfrogman - nice 330i What rims do you have? (Not in your mods list as far as I can tell )
Old 09-28-06, 07:00 PM
ksfrogman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ksfrogman - nice 330i What rims do you have? (Not in your mods list as far as I can tell )
Thanks! I didn't realize my sig got truncated due to size limit, so I readjusted it. Those are Japanese Work VS-XX wheels. I first saw them on an e46 M3 and fell in love with them. Then I noticed them on a friend's S2000, and had to get them. So my headlights are from Spain, the tail lights from Italy, the GruppeM and wheels from Japan, my custom roundels from Taiwan. lol.
Old 09-28-06, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, thanks for the update. Great setup. Any balance/alignment issues?
Old 09-29-06, 04:29 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now as for engines, I must say
BMW needs Twin Turbos to get 300hp in the year 2007 from 3.0 liters.....

guess what
Nissan needed Twin Turbos to get 300hp from a 3.0 liter V-6 in 1990

Toyota needed Twin Turbos to get 320hp from a 3.0 (gasp) I-6 in 1994

Mitsubishi and Dodge need Twin Turbos and 3.0 liter V-6s to get 300hp then 320hp in the 90s as well.

And they all had time comparable to the 335....

So really, its not exactly a huge step forward in any technology, when the Japanese did it over 10 years ago

I rest me case!!!!
apples to oranges.

The 335TT has significantly less lag than any of those other engines. It's also using direct injection which allows for a much higher compression ratio and superior part-load off-boost efficiency that blows the old engines out of the water. It's also using 10 years more advanced turbo technology with much better metallurgic properties that BMW claims can handle significantly higher temperatures. This allows for a leaner mixture to be used for another bump in efficiency. Other turbo engines have to run much richer mixtures to keep EGTs lower in the name of turbo longevity.

If you want to compare apples to apples, put in bigger and laggier turbos equal to the ones 10 years ago, and then enrich the mixture a bit so that efficiency is about the same as 10 years ago, then this engine could easily be cranking out 350-400 hp, all other factors being equal. The point of the engine is not all-out peak horsepower.

Saying there is no huge step in technology is simply ignoring all of the virtues of this engine.
Old 09-29-06, 04:46 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by conekiller
I'll keep my opinions about the looks of the 335 to myself because that's purely subjective - but from a performance perspective it will trounce the IS350. Multiple dyno runs have backed up the assertion that BMW sandbagged the power figures...significantly. Actual power figures are near 350hp and +300 lb/ft.
total rubbish. The power is nowhere near 350hp, and even shiv at vishnu tuning agreed with me on that.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30728

I can't believe how gullible sooooo many people are on these forums, as if because something was printed in a car rag, it therefore must be true. The automobile mag article was riddled with errors, and the author clearly had no clue what he was even talking about.

A legit 350hp LS1 6MT dynos at 310 rwhp all day long. The average dynos for the 335i 6MT are 275-280 rwhp, 30+ rwhp below where a 350hp LS1 dynos at. Maybe the engine is a tad under-rated and really has 310-315hp, but it's nowhere close to 350, and this really isn't much if any different than how a lot of other BMW engines are rated that I've seen a fair number of stock dynos for.

And this explains why an IS350 automatic is pretty much equalling the time of 335i manuals. And after you subtract out the 2-3 mph advantage that the magazine 335i time has because they use actual trap vs averaged trap at real tracks, even the trap speeds are the same.

The lack of credibility, especially now in the automotive press, is just disgusting to me.
Old 09-29-06, 05:23 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I can remember 5 years ago that BMW said that superchargers and turbos was a CHEAP WAY for auto manufactures to generate extra HP. Can somebody explain that?
Old 09-29-06, 05:38 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I can remember 5 years ago that BMW said that superchargers and turbos was a CHEAP WAY for auto manufactures to generate extra HP. Can somebody explain that?
Well, they've said that it's cheaper to make a 3.0L Twin Turbo 6 cylinder than a 4.0L V8.

Their 3.0L I6 TT makes similar hp and torque as their 4.0L V8.

It's also lighter and gets better mpg than a 4.0L V8.
Old 09-29-06, 05:48 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
That's just marketing spin, and they'll say whatever they have to to keep selling cars. Any engineer will be able to tell you that there is no one "superior" or better way to do anything. All the ways of accomplishing something have various tradeoffs. This is no different than Honda getting all high and mighty for sticking with their high-revving NA VTEC engines saying they don't need turbos. And of course now they have the turbo RDX, and are talking all about how that engine is "more intelligent" than a 3.5L V6 is.

Marketing people make me want to vomit.
Old 09-29-06, 06:13 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
And of course now they have the turbo RDX, and are talking all about how that engine is "more intelligent" than a 3.5L V6 is.

Marketing people make me want to vomit.
+1

Damn, that's so true. But hey, if the majority of people fall for the marketing fluff (ahem...brand snobs), then you can't really blame them for using those tactics. I guess I've always been a huge pessimist when it comes to anything I hear from the automakers mouths. I've learned to doubt first, and then form my own opinions through personal experience and through a collection of the things I hear in the real world.
Old 09-29-06, 06:32 AM
joyriide11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ff_
+1

Damn, that's so true. But hey, if the majority of people fall for the marketing fluff (ahem...brand snobs), then you can't really blame them for using those tactics. I guess I've always been a huge pessimist when it comes to anything I hear from the automakers mouths. I've learned to doubt first, and then form my own opinions through personal experience and through a collection of the things I hear in the real world.
I have no doubt in my mind some automakers have car mags in their back pockets. Mag writers also need to spice things up just to keep things exciting, to sell more mags.

Its best to join a forum and read threads from actual owners than it is to pick up a mag and use it as the guide to your next purchase...
Old 09-29-06, 06:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ff_
I guess I've always been a huge pessimist when it comes to anything I hear from the automakers mouths. I've learned to doubt first, and then form my own opinions through personal experience and through a collection of the things I hear in the real world.
you will go far as long as doubt doesn't become cynicism...
Old 09-29-06, 07:13 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you will go far as long as doubt doesn't become cynicism...
I've been known the cross that boundary on a few occasions
Old 09-29-06, 09:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
apples to oranges.

The 335TT has significantly less lag than any of those other engines. It's also using direct injection which allows for a much higher compression ratio and superior part-load off-boost efficiency that blows the old engines out of the water. It's also using 10 years more advanced turbo technology with much better metallurgic properties that BMW claims can handle significantly higher temperatures. This allows for a leaner mixture to be used for another bump in efficiency. Other turbo engines have to run much richer mixtures to keep EGTs lower in the name of turbo longevity.

If you want to compare apples to apples, put in bigger and laggier turbos equal to the ones 10 years ago, and then enrich the mixture a bit so that efficiency is about the same as 10 years ago, then this engine could easily be cranking out 350-400 hp, all other factors being equal. The point of the engine is not all-out peak horsepower.

Saying there is no huge step in technology is simply ignoring all of the virtues of this engine.
I know you know you stuff, so I'll agree with you.

Quick Reply: BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)