Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Sets High Goals for New Tundra (200,000 units next year)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 10:53 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Sets High Goals for New Tundra (200,000 units next year)

Toyota Sets High Goals for New Tundra

Washington DC September 15, 2006; The AIADA newsletter reported that Toyota expects to sharply increase its share of the big pickup truck market with the launch of the newly redesigned 2007 Tundra.

"We're looking to double volumes and penetration," said Don Esmond, senior vice president of automotive operations at Toyota Motor Sales USA. "We're focusing on about 200,000 [Tundra sales] next year, which would give us about 10 percent market share, and we'd grow from there." So far this year, Tundra sales account for 7 percent of the total U.S. full-size pickup truck segment.

Toyota dealers in the U.S. have invested $1 billion in their facilities over the past three years in order to expand showrooms and service bays to accommodate the next Tundra. They are expected to spend another $2 billion over the next two years, reports The Detroit News.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...15/022017.html
Old 09-15-06, 10:57 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Hm, not good news for the domestics.

200,000 next year, and by 2015, who knows? 500,000?

Full-size trucks really are last bastion of defense for the domestics. If that goes...
Old 09-15-06, 10:58 AM
LexFather

OMG, that is aggresive.. Very aggresive...Not sure the good ole boys will trade their cars in but I can see Lexus and luxury car owners buying this truck maybe and first time buyers....

I cannot lie, the American trucks are ALL very good in teh full size segment.

I smell cheap price coming!

Old 09-15-06, 01:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...609150348/1148

More details ...

Further proof that all those "reports" about Toyota cutting Tundra production were wrong.

They want to double their current sales volume, which would amount to total sales of around 250,000 units, a huge leap over current sales. For next year, they are looking at 200,000, and I'm guessing they expect 250 - 300K for 2008.

What's really mindboggling is that the marketing campaign for the new Tundra will be the biggest for any vehicle in it's history ... simply astounding. Dealers have already spent over 1 Billion dollars upgrading their dealerships to handle the new Tundra, and apparently another 2 Billion will be spent by dealers. These are huge numbers. And on top of that, Toyota is going to train 33% more dealer staff for the launch of the new Tundra, than it did for the launch of the new Camry.

I am quite confident Toyota will reach it's goals for the new Tundra, if not exceed them.
Old 09-15-06, 01:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
OMG, that is aggresive.. Very aggresive...Not sure the good ole boys will trade their cars in but I can see Lexus and luxury car owners buying this truck maybe and first time buyers....

I cannot lie, the American trucks are ALL very good in teh full size segment.

I smell cheap price coming!
It could very likely come down to a price war, which is something domestic makers cannot really afford to do.
Old 09-15-06, 07:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...609150348/1148

More details ...

Further proof that all those "reports" about Toyota cutting Tundra production were wrong.

They want to double their current sales volume, which would amount to total sales of around 250,000 units, a huge leap over current sales. For next year, they are looking at 200,000, and I'm guessing they expect 250 - 300K for 2008.

What's really mindboggling is that the marketing campaign for the new Tundra will be the biggest for any vehicle in it's history ... simply astounding. Dealers have already spent over 1 Billion dollars upgrading their dealerships to handle the new Tundra, and apparently another 2 Billion will be spent by dealers. These are huge numbers. And on top of that, Toyota is going to train 33% more dealer staff for the launch of the new Tundra, than it did for the launch of the new Camry.

I am quite confident Toyota will reach it's goals for the new Tundra, if not exceed them.
makes you wonder when you see those bull reports being published even today! who is paying for that stuff to be published?

someone is definetly feeling the heat...
Old 09-15-06, 07:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

They presented the 200,000 figure like 6 months ago.
This number also represents the maximum capacity of
Tundra's that can be produced at the current factories.

This means they expect them to sell out completely as there built.
Old 09-15-06, 09:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
They presented the 200,000 figure like 6 months ago.
This number also represents the maximum capacity of
Tundra's that can be produced at the current factories.

This means they expect them to sell out completely as there built.
This is true ... for 2007, Toyota has enough capacity to build about 200K or so Tundras. In 2008, when Texas plant is supposed to run at max capacity along with Indiana plant, they are supposed to have production capacity for about 300K.