Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what type of mods will void factory warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 07:31 AM
hung8852
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what type of mods will void factory warranty?

Back when i had my subaru, i did tons of mods on it..never really had to worry about warranty issue because the car is old already. but now that I got the new lexus, I want to make sure anything I do will not void the warranty. So there's two things I want to do, replace the old filter with a blitz drop-in filter and add in mtec HID. would any of these void my warranty? I know as far as intake,headers,exhaust..those would definitely void it.

thanks in advance...
Old 09-15-06, 07:57 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any mod will void the warranty on something, but no mod will void the warranty on everything. A manufacturer has to show probably cause that the mod caused a failure. For example, if your brakes fail, Lexus can't cliam that your exhaust caused the problem.

The Blitz drop-in filter could be blamed for any problems that arise with the MAF, and maybe even certain engine problems, but not anything with the rest of the car. The HID kit would probably void the warranty on the entire electrical system.
Old 09-15-06, 07:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

any mod that directly caused a failure
Old 09-15-06, 08:06 AM
hung8852
Pole Position

boo...that sucks, they can blame me for any type of failure then..like changing the headlight bulbs to a different brand...or doing my own oil change. How are you guys handling these issues then? if something goes wrong, would you actualy take out all your mods before heading to the dealer?

Gernby: looks like all your mods completely voids ur entire warranty..intake,springs....hehe
Old 09-15-06, 08:16 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

If your service writer is cool enough, you shouldnt have any problems...the shop gets paid either way. The most extreme things would be hacking into your ECU wires for an SRT intake/ECU combo...ahem, opening up the motor, etc.

HID's and a drop-in filter are the last thing I would be worried about.
Old 09-15-06, 08:19 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, be careful. I can tell you from experience. I had my Benz Starmark warranty on my CL voided when I put 12k bulbs in. Something happened with the headlight (totally unrelated to the bulb) and I was SOL for a $2,000 headlight.
Old 09-15-06, 08:30 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about out of spec wheels/tires? ie, fat setup...

Can they legally claim it caused a powertrain failure?

The tech at the dealer gave me a pretty hard time just installing
the GS430 wheels on my AWD...
Old 09-15-06, 08:51 AM
hung8852
Pole Position

yea thats what it really comes down to...the dealer you are servicing at...but its really sucks that they can blame a bulb for malfunctions. oh well...i'm still going to get my HID and tints and put in the filter...lol...worth it?
Old 09-15-06, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
What about out of spec wheels/tires? ie, fat setup...

Can they legally claim it caused a powertrain failure?

The tech at the dealer gave me a pretty hard time just installing
the GS430 wheels on my AWD...
again bottom line is if it directly cause the failure. if they can SOMEHOW proces that the overspec wheels cause the failure in your engine, ask them to document and prove it and you will bring it for verification
Old 09-15-06, 09:34 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

I heard that for Evo and STi's, if you are caught on track, warranty is completely terminated.
Old 09-15-06, 09:48 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't fool with anything that could affect the engine and drive train until it is out of warranty. Anything that affects emissions control could give you trouble on your annual inspection. Electrical items shouldn't be a problem - unless you install lamps with a higher current requirement than OEM - these will typically require a relay to protect the stock switchgear and wiring from the heavier load.

Wheels that maintain the OEM offset shouldn't be a problem either. The trouble with some rims is that their deep lips require an offset that moves the load center way beyond the design limits of the wheel bearings. Typically this means that a greater proportion of the load is carried by the outer bearing, which may lead to premature failure. Changes in rotors, calipers, etc. can be depended upon to exclude you from any kind of coverage on your running gear.

Generally, cosmetic mods that do not affect safety issues shouldn't have an impact on your warranty. As a rule of thumb, for the first few years, stick with cosmetic mods. It's best to wait out that warranty before ripping into the guts of your car they could be REALLY expensive. IF your dealer approves your mod - get it in writing. Just in case . . .
Old 09-15-06, 09:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll be damned if changing my HID will cause my exhaust to leak
Old 09-15-06, 11:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by genearch
I think another example is hacking the Nav screen with the grounding wires scheme. That is one expensive unit, if Lexus finds clipped wires, someone will get a mega bill.
We need something like Dinan.....

I got smoked by a Dinan 5 the other day....sounded great.

Old 09-15-06, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I would stay away from any tire-wheel combo that does not maintain the original factory-spec outside tire-wheel diameter. Larger-than-standard combos slow the wheel rotation speed in relation to the car's true speed, and that causes low speedometer and odometer readings, leading to increased chances of a speeding ticket. In addition, the factory could claim ( with some truth ) that this practice alters and voids the odometer reading.
Old 09-15-06, 04:06 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Excellent input guys.

To lower or not to lower. That is the question.

Quick Reply: what type of mods will void factory warranty?