Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Big Brother Strikes Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Big Brother Strikes Again

Well, here we go again. It's not enough just to have stability control available to those who want it and are willing to pay for it. Now we may not get a choice. NHTSA is proposing that it be standard equipment on all new vehicles in 4 or 5 years. The announcement , not surprisingly, is mum about whether or not it will come with an on-off or variable-degree switch like on some sports sedans.

As most of you know, stability systems are far more beneficial and make more sense on high-center-of-gravity vehicles like trucks, large SUV's, and minivans than on regular cars. But the truth is that the Ford-Volvo ( Volvo-developed, of course ) roll-stability system makes even MORE sense because it not only senses yaw stability but lateral as well......it senses vehicle lean and impending roll-overs, not just understeer and oversteer like regular stabilty systems. IMO It would make far more sense just to forget about regular cars and put the more advanced roll-control system on the vehicles that need it most......not on low-slung cars like Corvettes and Vipers that sit an inch off the ground.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...e=PressRelease

NHTSA 09-06
Thursday, September 14, 2006 Contact: Rae Tyson
Telephone: (202) 366-9550

DOT Proposes Anti-Rollover Technology for New Vehicles
A new proposal to require auto manufacturers to install electronic stability control (ESC) as a standard feature on all new passenger vehicles has the potential to save more than 10,000 lives every year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced today.

The proposed rule, announced today, would require all manufacturers to begin equipping passenger vehicles under 10,000 pounds with ESC starting with the 2009 model year and to have the feature available as standard equipment on all vehicles by the 2012 model year (September 2011).

ESC systems use automatic computer-controlled braking of individual wheels to help the driver maintain control in situations where a vehicle without ESC would skid out of control and likely leave the road. Nearly all rollover crashes occur after a vehicle leaves the road. A 2004 study by NHTSA estimated that ESC reduced fatalities in single-vehicle crashes by 30 percent for passenger cars and 63 percent for SUVs.

NHTSA Administrator Nicole Nason called electronic stability control for cars “the greatest life saving improvement since the safety belt.”

The agency estimates that ESC will save between 5,300 and 10,300 lives annually and prevent between 168,000 and 252,000 injuries. ESC will prevent between 4,200 and 5,400 of the more than 10,000 deaths that occur each year as a result of rollover crashes.

According the NHTSA's proposed regulation, the average cost is estimated to be $111 per vehicle on vehicles that already include ABS brakes.

Since 2004, NHTSA has urged manufacturers to voluntarily add ESC as standard equipment on vehicles. As a result, almost 29 percent of all 2006 models - 57 percent of SUVs - are already equipped with ESC.

NHTSA is asking for comments on the ESC proposal for the next 60 days. A copy of the proposed regulation and the accompanying regulatory analysis can be seen here.

---

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-06 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 05:27 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, here we go again. It's not enough just to have stability control available to those who want it and are willing to pay for it. Now we may not get a choice. NHTSA is proposing that it be standard equipment on all new vehicles in 4 or 5 years. The announcement , not surprisingly, is mum about whether or not it will come with an on-off or variable-degree switch like on some sports sedans.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...e=PressRelease

NHTSA 09-06
Thursday, September 14, 2006 Contact: Rae Tyson
Telephone: (202) 366-9550

DOT Proposes Anti-Rollover Technology for New Vehicles
A new proposal to require auto manufacturers to install electronic stability control (ESC) as a standard feature on all new passenger vehicles has the potential to save more than 10,000 lives every year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced today.

The proposed rule, announced today, would require all manufacturers to begin equipping passenger vehicles under 10,000 pounds with ESC starting with the 2009 model year and to have the feature available as standard equipment on all vehicles by the 2012 model year (September 2011).

ESC systems use automatic computer-controlled braking of individual wheels to help the driver maintain control in situations where a vehicle without ESC would skid out of control and likely leave the road. Nearly all rollover crashes occur after a vehicle leaves the road. A 2004 study by NHTSA estimated that ESC reduced fatalities in single-vehicle crashes by 30 percent for passenger cars and 63 percent for SUVs.

NHTSA Administrator Nicole Nason called electronic stability control for cars “the greatest life saving improvement since the safety belt.”

The agency estimates that ESC will save between 5,300 and 10,300 lives annually and prevent between 168,000 and 252,000 injuries. ESC will prevent between 4,200 and 5,400 of the more than 10,000 deaths that occur each year as a result of rollover crashes.

According the NHTSA's proposed regulation, the average cost is estimated to be $111 per vehicle on vehicles that already include ABS brakes.

Since 2004, NHTSA has urged manufacturers to voluntarily add ESC as standard equipment on vehicles. As a result, almost 29 percent of all 2006 models - 57 percent of SUVs - are already equipped with ESC.

NHTSA is asking for comments on the ESC proposal for the next 60 days. A copy of the proposed regulation and the accompanying regulatory analysis can be seen here.

---
I got a better idea. Educate drivers to become better. I've been driving only a short time but I know how to handle power and climate changes. I know how to be a defensive driver. I've made my stupid mistakes but I'm not driving around bouncing my cars off others.
Old 09-14-06, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I got a better idea. Educate drivers to become better. I've been driving only a short time but I know how to handle power and climate changes. I know how to be a defensive driver. I've made my stupid mistakes but I'm not driving around bouncing my cars off others.
Yes I agree with you......if the schools will just do their job and students listen. The effect of a high center of gravity is a very simple subject that is taught in grade-school science. I knew it before I went into the sixth grade.
Old 09-15-06, 01:59 PM
ic144
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's face it guys, humans are stupid by nature. No matter how much effort you put into teaching these people how to drive, they're still going to screw up.

I applaud the DOT's effort to make up for human stupidity. It'll keep us alive a little bit longer, no matter what car we're in.
Old 09-15-06, 03:39 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't mind having it in vettes or vipers ONLY WITH an on/off switch. Its safer for everyone because no matter what we will still have to deal with people that can't handel powerful cars and need the help of the system.
Old 09-15-06, 04:11 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might have to differ with you guys here about the stupidity theory.

Most rollovers probably occur in panic situations where the driver probably has to make manuver to avoid a possible accident. I'm not sure intelligence is of any benefit in a spit second decision to determine the degree in which to turn the wheel to avoid an accident vs. causing a roll over.

I think it's just experience. If I'm driving down the street in my SUV and a car backs out a driveway and I need to turn the wheel to avoid hitting it, my instincts will tell me to brake and turn as hard as I can to avoid the accident.

Of cource I know my SUV will likely roll over if I'm going "X"MPH and I turn the wheel "X" degrees, but in a moment, you really can't expect average Joe Sixpack to calculate that.

I think it's a good idea for SUVs, but not quite necessary yet for passenger cars.