Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

335i Dyno (for comparison)

Old 09-13-06, 09:49 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 335i Dyno (for comparison)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165005

Dyno'd our new 335i today. The dyno actually reads a bit low for a dynojet. Other dynojets in the area usually read 8-12whp higher. Regardless, the results were better than expected. Yes, the car is grossly under-rated from the factory.

All results were taken in 4th gear, btw. A 3rd gear pull made a few more ponies but the run was very short.

Best Regards,
Shiv
Vishnu Performance Systems
Check out that moutain of torque at 2000 RPM. And is very steady until it starts dropping off at just under 6000 RPM.

Old 09-13-06, 09:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

using 15% drivetrain loss, its probably making 320ish hp 340 trq according to this dyno, its high end power lacks tho which makes its 0-60 somewhat disappointing considering the numbers it has. Which is why an M3 withn only 262 crank trq can still beat a 335 slightly. Nothing aftermarket cant fix however
Old 09-13-06, 10:02 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

This is fantastic info, but doesn't belong in the 2IS forum...

Javier
Old 09-13-06, 10:33 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks to be running very lean!

Koz
Old 09-13-06, 10:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

airflow problems at high rpm make the A/F drop in the higher rpms and the engine power as well. Not sure if its a coincedence but right where the A/F curve crosses the dotted line (stoic?) is the same rpm (5400) where the torque and power start falling pretty bad
Old 09-13-06, 10:43 AM
markyboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by javyLSU
This is fantastic info, but doesn't belong in the 2IS forum...

Javier
Sure it does. Most Lexus owners know what their car was designed for and how it shapes up against other vehicles. There is nothing wrong with discussing the new BMW. Most 2is owners have considered buying the BMW as they are comparable machines.
No 2is owner wants to hear that the new BMW may be faster but as time goes on the cars are only getting faster and more powerful.

I love my 350 for more than it's power
just my opinion
Old 09-13-06, 11:00 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markyboy
Sure it does. Most Lexus owners know what their car was designed for and how it shapes up against other vehicles. There is nothing wrong with discussing the new BMW. Most 2is owners have considered buying the BMW as they are comparable machines.
No 2is owner wants to hear that the new BMW may be faster but as time goes on the cars are only getting faster and more powerful.

I love my 350 for more than it's power
just my opinion
How can you say 'they are comparable machines'? The BMW 335i has twin turbos while the Lexus does not. One is definitely sold as a 'driving machine' (and rides really harsh) and the other (Lexus) is sold as a entry level luxury performance sedan. Apples and Oranges to me....

Both are wonderful cars (if) they do what you are looking for. But not really comparable. One to drive on the outbacks of America and the other to drive cross country. I know which one I want for each mission.
Old 09-13-06, 11:07 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
airflow problems at high rpm make the A/F drop in the higher rpms and the engine power as well.
It's not an airflow issue. It's programmed that way so that there will be additional fuel injected into the cylinders to help keep the temp down. You have to give up some power to get a little more headroom in the high rpms.
Old 09-13-06, 11:12 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
using 15% drivetrain loss, its probably making 320ish hp 340 trq according to this dyno, its high end power lacks tho which makes its 0-60 somewhat disappointing considering the numbers it has. Which is why an M3 withn only 262 crank trq can still beat a 335 slightly. Nothing aftermarket cant fix however
I think the reason it loses to the e46 M3 has to do more with the fact that it has an open differential, which is not the best way to get power to the ground. In one of the vids (in german,) the left rear was the only one spinning (like the positraction of the older US muscle cars.)

They're already on to a pumpkin swap with a proper LSD. With both rears hooking up, I think that the difference to 60 will disappear.
Old 09-13-06, 11:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

^^ if you look at an M3s power curve, the high rpm power is much better than a 335, power doesnt drop off as bad, probably the main reason it beats it slightly despite a large torque disadvantage
Old 09-13-06, 11:43 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Very impressive! Now just wish they used SAE instead of STD.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-13-06 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-13-06, 11:44 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gtidan
How can you say 'they are comparable machines'? The BMW 335i has twin turbos while the Lexus does not. One is definitely sold as a 'driving machine' (and rides really harsh) and the other (Lexus) is sold as a entry level luxury performance sedan. Apples and Oranges to me....

Both are wonderful cars (if) they do what you are looking for. But not really comparable. One to drive on the outbacks of America and the other to drive cross country. I know which one I want for each mission.
By that logic, then our car is comparable to pretty much nothing. Our car uses direct injection....which from the best of my knowledge, only mazda, volkswagen, and audi use. Since ours is an entry level luxury performance sports sedan, then we shouldn't compare ours with G35's and TL's cause they're too big (real sedans). Heck, the GS350 has direct inject engines so it shouldn't be compared with the 5 series or the M series.

In many people's eyes, the 335i (along with the 330i) is a competitor to the IS350, because...what else is there to compare to?
Old 09-13-06, 11:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

are you going to post IS350 dyno for comparison or what? or what are you comparing it to? Our memory?
Old 09-13-06, 11:51 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
are you going to post IS350 dyno for comparison or what? or what are you comparing it to? Our memory?
It's never a good idea to compare charts from different dyno's, but for general purpose sake here is my dyno, pretty much stock except for the JOEZ pipe. By the look of the 335i dyno that car should beat the IS350 hands down in all categories except for looks IMHO.

Old 09-13-06, 11:58 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

that's a super torquey motor!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 335i Dyno (for comparison)