Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Everyones thoughts on 07 BMW M5.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 05:00 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyones thoughts on 07 BMW M5.

I am really itching for something fast and 4 doors so the M5 came to mine. I want to wait for the 08 GTR but i don't think it is as practical as the M5 when it comes to interior space as needed when baby comes. As of right now i do not have any interest to spend money modding any of my rides. I have been wanting something exotic or a super car for awhile fast from the factory no more then $90,000. I can't wait any longer and hope for lexus to come out with something as close or better then the M5 power and performance. Don't get me wrong lexus will always be my first love but right now i feel that i am missing something in my life. Any good or bad inputs about the M5 from my fellow CL members would be awesome before my final decision. Also will bmw discount M5 at all if they had one sitting in there show room? This will be my first bmw so i have no experience with bmw products.

Thanks Tien
Attached Thumbnails Everyones thoughts on 07 BMW M5.-0651_04_lgre1.jpg  
Old 09-10-06, 05:08 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

You can't go wrong with a BMW M5, nobody does super sedans like the Germans. Have you thought about an Audi S6 or MB E63 AMG?

Is Lexus going to make a high performance version of the GS?
Old 09-10-06, 05:27 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mavericck
You can't go wrong with a BMW M5, nobody does super sedans like the Germans. Have you thought about an Audi S6 or MB E63 AMG?

Yes audi are great but iam not a fan of all wheel drive as being a true sports car. MB are nice too but that would be more then what i would want to spend as the options add up to more then $100K. As for the GS i think they forgot about it because if rumors are true the is500 is going to be bad as hell.
Old 09-10-06, 05:33 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
Yes audi are great but iam not a fan of all wheel drive as being a true sports car. MB are nice too but that would be more then what i would want to spend as the options add up to more then $100K. As for the GS i think they forgot about it because if rumors are true the is500 is going to be bad as hell.
Didn't you say you were waiting for the new GTR?
Old 09-10-06, 05:40 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

If you can afford it!! M5 is the ONE!!
Old 09-10-06, 05:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mavericck

+1 on the great suggestions.

Where the E39 was considered magic and head and shoulders above even the more powerful competiton, the new M5 while incredible, misses the mark some. It has failed to overwhelm the press like the previous car. A lot of that has to do with looks and I-drive. Then you have the lack of a clutch.

On the other hand, you have 507hp at the press of a button with a V-10....

THough it has "only" (lol) 400hp, what about the Maserati Quattroporte? They now have a sport edition with a quicker shifting tranny, 20" wheels, black out trim, carbon fiber interior.

EVO picked the CLS 55 over it and the new M5 in a recent issue. You don't like the CLS?

The Lexus GS450h is not close to any of their performance outside the Maserati but we have not seen a full test with it and the optional adjustable electronic sways. So it might be a sleeper, though its slower. Passing power though might be on par with those above, due too the instantaneous electric power.

Old 09-10-06, 05:55 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

great inputs sicklex, please everyone keep them commin.
Old 09-10-06, 06:02 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

YES!! I'd bang the M5.
Old 09-10-06, 06:13 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the M5, sounds very fierce. If you're not in a hurry, you should consider the E63 AMG. We're also planning to get a new car soon but I still dont know when the E63 will be on the road. I heard you cant just get in an M5 and just drive away within 5 seconds, you have to play with the computers first. But i'd get it.
Old 09-10-06, 06:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hartawan
I like the M5, sounds very fierce. If you're not in a hurry, you should consider the E63 AMG. We're also planning to get a new car soon but I still dont know when the E63 will be on the road. I heard you cant just get in an M5 and just drive away within 5 seconds, you have to play with the computers first. But i'd get it.

Clarkson on the M5
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=clarkson

Old 09-10-06, 06:22 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

It appears to be fashionable to criticize the existing M5 either because of the style, iDrive, or SMG. I actually love the look, especially in dark colors, and would buy this car in a heartbeat.

The only near competitors have, for the most part, already been listed.

The e63 or CLS63 are nice but won't handle anywhere near as well.

The S6 is also nice but the next RS6 is really what would compare (and that won't be around anytime soon).

The XJR could work but it's more sedate and handling is more e63 than M5.

The is500 looks like it will be nice, but it is much smaller and you have to wait.

You could try for an STS-V or a 300C SRT8 but they are, in different ways, still quite a bit off either the luxury or handling prowess of the M5.

Let us know what you decide. I know I haven't been able to justify the $$$/upgrade ratio of any one of these yet.
Old 09-10-06, 06:45 PM
LexFather

Let it be known I am not bashing the M5, that car is better than anything I have ever owned! I am just putting it out there it is no longer the say all be all sedan of all sedans....there is some good competiton out there now!

Old 09-10-06, 06:51 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The E63 is out now; I saw a black one at the Mercedes dealership today and it looks absolutely stunning.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the M5 SMG but I guess there are no excuses if you're choosing the manual option coming up this year. I hate iDrive and I hate the cheap-feeling interior of the new-age BMWs. And I personally do not find the exterior of the M5 worthy of such an expensive price. If I were paying so much for a car I'd want it to look nicer. You can get a much nicer-looking vehicle for such a high price, quite frankly, like an SL or a 6er, that I simply couldn't justify buying such a mediocre looking vehicle for the same price. So I'd choose a CLS55 or an XJR over an M5 if I needed 4 doors. Just personally speaking.
Old 09-10-06, 06:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Just a little reminder, there is currently a controversal debate on the E63 and its performance. For some reason, many E55 owners test drove the E63 and they said it seems slower than the E63. I think only one guy said the e63 felt faster than his E55, but then again, his car has "lag" that no one else experienced. One person also ran the E63 and only achieved a 13.01. The guy is a capable driver and he knows what he's doing, so driver skill isn't a factor. Plus the E63 is "suppose" to be easier to launch than the E55. I would hold out the E63 until everything is sorted out.
Old 09-10-06, 06:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
Just a little reminder, there is currently a controversal debate on the E63 and its performance. For some reason, many E55 owners test drove the E63 and they said it seems slower than the E63. I think only one guy said the e63 felt faster than his E55, but then again, his car has "lag" that no one else experienced. One person also ran the E63 and only achieved a 13.01. The guy is a capable driver and he knows what he's doing, so driver skill isn't a factor. Plus the E63 is "suppose" to be easier to launch than the E55. I would hold out the E63 until everything is sorted out.
I am a regular on MBWorld, that guy is one that jokes around and he is being sarcastic b/c the board has been up in arms with the E55 vs E63. Basically the E55 boys don't want to crown a new king.

The guy took his new not even broken in E63 to the track and posted about it. He is not selling his car.

Amazingly, I've seen that thread in 3 other internet sites already!

Quick Reply: Everyones thoughts on 07 BMW M5.