Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How do I give my car soul? (I needed a good laugh)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 09:00 AM
LexFather

Talking How do I give my car soul? (I needed a good laugh)

So I'm reading around the interent and just observing some German fans saying how Lexus has no "soul".....

I guess what struck me to start a thread was the guy with the C240 and E320 who was insistent Japanese cars have no soul....

So I want to give my car some soul? I figure then, it can dance better and be more hip.....

I guess I will have my car listen to James Brown and watch MTV all day? I guess change its wardrobe up? I need rims and a bodykit....

Maybe some new friends with soul? Instead of hanging with Lexus buds, I should hang more with my German buds, so some of their sould can rub off on my car.

Old 09-10-06, 09:01 AM
LexFather

Oh, another thing, I am kind of sad b/c if my car has no soul, when it dies, God won't accept it. It only accepts cars with soul. Only those cars go to heaven.
So I am going to get my car baptized, and we will start attending mass together. I hope people don't mind me taking up a whole row in church...

Do you have soul suggestions????

Old 09-10-06, 09:49 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your Lexus is Catholic then it goes to purgatory

Whats REALLY funny... is whenever some biased reviewer exclaims the "soulfulness" of a German car vs the lack thereof a Japanese car (which usually has better specs on everything) they can NEVER EVER explain WHAT soul is.

My argument is... and I do take logistical math (discreet math) in school right now...

If you can't describe what something is then how do you know that its there without mathematics? Humans don't have some sixth sense to feel something like "soul". Get over yourself, its just your BIAS talking, not the soul of the car. Its some desperate thing you try to grasp onto because your old way of thinking doesnt work anymore. Human beings have been doing it for years:

Copernicus challenged the old Aristotilean view of the Earth being the center of the universe with the heavens (planets) being crystalline spheres that rotated around the earth, each sphere getting bigger as you move outward. When observational data kept coming up that proved all of this wrong, they would come up with crazy ideas that would allow them to keep holding on to this view. (Like comets, or elliptical orbits)
Old 09-10-06, 10:11 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all cars go to heaven and people who think cars have no soul go to hell.
Old 09-10-06, 10:57 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Do you have soul suggestions????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQENuTc-Tak

Umm, Soul Glo?

Just apply liberally, and then just let your Soul Glo, just let it shine through. Just let your Soul Glo, feel it oh so silky smooth.

Just let it shine through.

Hope that helps.

M.
Old 09-10-06, 11:21 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly. My gf hates big german luxo cars because she says they are "cold". It's a quality that you prefer and if a car doesn't have it, you make stuff up to try and explain it. Her reasoning is that BMW and MB cars are "not inviting" and "intimidating" which is why she prefers Lexus or quirky cars like her Rav4. Whenever people (magazines included) say stuff like that, I take it to mean that they refuse to admit to their bias, are traditional and refuse to acknowledge new ways of thinking (which most europeans and my father are like IMHO), and just plain don't know what they are talking about. Same BS as mags talking about "teutonic presence" or "gravitas". Just say it, Lexus doesn't have the prestige as the other marques to some people. Figuring Lexus is very young compared to the other companies and don't have the history, that is understandable. Just don't pretend about your pretentiousness and say it is an inferior car, because most people who don't care about a name, will disagree.

Same reason I post on the Hyundai thread. It's a good car, don't count them out just because of a name (although they do have a history of poor quality cars which is very different from Lexus).

Last edited by T0ked; 09-10-06 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-10-06, 11:30 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's my .02 cents. German cars are temperamental. You never know what it's quirks will be. One may have electronic problems. The other may be the brakes. Some will have something elso or all the above. Some may never have any problem. You just don't know which.

Lexus all seem to be weak in the same area. The brakes suck. The majority of ES and GS have idle problems. Drive any sc300, they feel the same. Drive any GS, they feel the same. Same noises. Same tranny jerks when shifting and driving. Most Lexus are reliable as heck. You all get the point.

Lexus are more predictable. Benzes are more unpredictable....hense more soul...more of a personality. Like my Plymouth. Like my Monte Carlo's. They had a personality and I named them. My lexus cars have been very difficult to name. They are machines that get the job done very well....with less personality than the Germans. To this day, my SC has been hard to name. I settled on platinumsc. Ny G35....finally came up with a name after 2 months...it may not stick but I call it G-Dog. My running partner. My hang out buddy. It's peppy, it wants to run. Doesn't feel normal it you drive it slow too long. Five days of going to work, it seems to vibrate a little. Every weekend I air the sucker out and it runs like a kitten...or should I say dog...G-Dog. It's cool and wants to ride. That's a personality. That's a soul.

Now do you guys get it!
Old 09-10-06, 11:56 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Grow some collard greens in the glove compartment. Build an oven and a stove in the trunk so that you can fry some chicken and bake some corn bread. Oh and build a coolaid dispenser in your armrest

EDIT: Forgot the watermelon. Hmm Maybe you can grow that in your spare tire well?
Old 09-10-06, 12:15 PM
LexFather

I don't think crap breaking down is personality, especially after paying a bundle for it. I call that crap.
I do see what Regg is saying, how something that seems to always work, can be taken for granted. Its like a good friend that is always there...

I find reading about sliding a older 911 in a corner having soul. Or offset pedals in pre 996 models. I don't buy the "I have a German car, my car has soul" arguement when some of them are just as cold as a Lexus.

Old 09-10-06, 01:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If having a personality means unexpected problem, then im' happy my car is boring.

What people mean by having "soul," is the ability to communicate with the car. The feedback the car gives you makes you feel as if the car is talking to you. I guess you can say the car is "alive", hence it has soul where as a lexus, you feel numb (i'm talking about stock) and isolated from the road.

Having "soul" i understand, but what I dont understand are people's reasons for buying a german over a japanese car because it has "history" and "passion". Honestly, no one is going to think about the 1950's leman win for mercedes 24/7 while driving.
Old 09-10-06, 08:35 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

1sicklex
Did I start it?
Old 09-10-06, 08:46 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

This car has soul...Team Soul, you can close this thread now
Attached Thumbnails How do I give my car soul? (I needed a good laugh)-tcshood.jpg  
Old 09-10-06, 09:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
1sicklex
Did I start it?
No if anything u defended it. I can appreciate your valor over there

Old 09-11-06, 05:40 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Soul? You should visit the rotary boards, and hear the complaining that goes on when you mention doing a V8 swap to an RX-7... "You're taking away the 'soul' of the car!"...

The 'soul' stuff, beyond being highly subjective, is pathetic, and I can't for the life of me understand why some cars can't be good, without always having to cater to some form of performance orientation. They really need to broaden the criteria for what defines a vehicle as "good", beyond its ability to make its way around a track. I didn't buy my vehicle in the hopes that it would feel like a german counterpart, but for how it behaves on a daily basis...which is quite awesome to be honest...Lexus doesn't sell cars by mistake.

...and the soul of a car should come from the driver. I've seen too many people drive everything from BMW's to Ferrari's with absolutely no enthusiasm, and that to me represents a car with no soul.
Old 09-11-06, 09:15 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soul is machines has been discussed many times with motorcycles. A lot of riders say that Japanese bikes don't have the "soul" that Italian and Harleys have.

From reading most people's reasons on what gives a motorcycle soul it basically boils down to 3 things:

1. Sounds
2. Vibrations
3. Maintainance

That is where soul comes from in machines. Harley riders claim their bikes have the most soul. The bikes are loud, they shake like crazy and they will leave you by the side of the road. Japanese sportbikes seem to lack soul because they are relatively quiet, are smooth, and built for trouble free ownership.

I think this reasoning can be carried over to automobiles.

Quick Reply: How do I give my car soul? (I needed a good laugh)