Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoweek's review of the new G35 (errrrr beauty contest thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Autoweek's review of the new G35 (errrrr beauty contest thread)

They're very impressed, and so was I after reading it.

This view of the car is hot - looks similar to the new Lexus GS only better because it's more purposeful - it's definitely sporty in looks and execution.

And while I like the IS350, I think this G35 is a better vehicle. Better handling (including available active rear steering), power bolsters, better packaging for space, traffic-savvy nav, more powertrain variations, and the impressive Sport package. Limited slip diff in Sport package - does the IS have one available (I don't know)? It has an available hard drive package as part of the audio system so you can load it up with music - just like the upcoming LS460.

The only negative I see is 5 speed auto vs. competitors 6 but Autoweek says it works very well and the paddle shifting mode lets you hold a gear (even all the way to redline).

It's good to see that Infiniti has not screwed up their hit - they've made it a lot better.

Reed autoweek's mini-review/introduction here:

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...9/Introduction
Old 09-09-06, 08:32 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a VERY nice car, the head lamps look much more classy.

Having to choose between the new G35 and the IS 350 is like choosing between blondes and brunettes , you can't really go wrong, its just personal preference.
Brunettes for me BTW
Old 09-09-06, 08:42 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impressive car indeed, I'm very impressed that they think it out handles the BMW.
Old 09-09-06, 10:03 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mavericck
Very impressive car indeed, I'm very impressed that they think it out handles the BMW.
What did you expect?

Nissan Japan has a lot invested in the Skyline nameplate; I knew this car would only get better.

Too bad for Cadillac. The new CTS, aside from the interior refresh, is probably going to drive and appear like meat & potatoes next to this new G35 and the IS350.

M.
Old 09-09-06, 10:22 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vin 78
Its a VERY nice car, the head lamps look much more classy.

Having to choose between the new G35 and the IS 350 is like choosing between blondes and brunettes , you can't really go wrong, its just personal preference.
Brunettes for me BTW
Well said my man!! And I love the analogy. Couldn't have said it any better.
I'm a brunette guy also(if anyone cares)
Old 09-09-06, 11:58 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by videcormeum
What did you expect?

Nissan Japan has a lot invested in the Skyline nameplate; I knew this car would only get better.

Too bad for Cadillac. The new CTS, aside from the interior refresh, is probably going to drive and appear like meat & potatoes next to this new G35 and the IS350.

M.

Well considering the BMW has always been the benchmark by which all other sport sedans are judged at the very least in terms of handling (and companies still compare their cars to the 3 series), isn't it obvious why I wouldn't expect it to handle better than the 3 series? To accomplish that is some thing indeed.
Old 09-10-06, 06:01 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Well considering the BMW has always been the benchmark by which all other sport sedans are judged at the very least in terms of handling (and companies still compare their cars to the 3 series), isn't it obvious why I wouldn't expect it to handle better than the 3 series? To accomplish that is some thing indeed.
Absolutely, BMW with the 3-series have been the gold standard and have defined the category (sport sedan). I'm sure other reviewers will feel differently about how this car stacks up against the 3-series. But Nissan is keenly aware of this car's competition and I expected them to close the gap this time around. So I don't think it's a huge surprise that a reviewer from Autoweek thinks the tables have turned on BMW.

M.
Old 09-10-06, 06:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vin 78
Having to choose between the new G35 and the IS 350 is like choosing between blondes and brunettes , you can't really go wrong, its just personal preference. Brunettes for me BTW
I don't think so. Did you read this?

Power is far more than ample both on the road and on the racetrack, where the G35 Sport felt more at home than did either the 330i or the IS provided for comparison. One clear advantage for the G35 over the BMW or the Lexus was found in Lime Rock’s first turn, a long sweeper called Big Bend. Where the Lexus felt soft and floppy, like a bigger luxury sedan, and the BMW declined to take a set and instead leaned over, released, and leaned again, the G35 buckled down and hustled through, assisted on exit by the Sport model’s standard viscous limited-slip differential.
The G35 is clearly a lot more sporty than the IS350. The IS has a great engine, and looks good, but that's about it.

Maybe an agile blonde athlete like Sharapova, vs. a Brunette looker, like, er, Rudi Bakhtiar.
Old 09-10-06, 07:18 AM
LexFather

I think Nissan has done another terrific job with the Skyline/G35.
However Bit, I have to disagree with the looks. Seeing it in person it doesn't look sporty at all, considering its a very sporty car to drive.

Old 09-10-06, 07:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Well Sharapova isn't as good looking to me as Rudi Bakhtiar but she sure can play tennis. LOL
Old 09-10-06, 08:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well Sharapova isn't as good looking to me as Rudi Bakhtiar but she sure can play tennis. LOL
PICS OF SAID LADIES!!!

Old 09-10-06, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Some car mags also felt the same way about the first RWD model G35 that debuted 5 years ago. I have driven both the original RWD G35 and 3-series BMW's, and while the G35 is indeed quite agile, about the same as the typical 330i, nothing has the marvelous steering feel of a Bimmer....even the Chris Bangle ones. I may ( deservedly ) b**ch about I-Drive and the shoddiness of some new BMW's, but you'll never hear me complain about a BMW non-Active steering system.
Old 09-10-06, 11:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
PICS OF SAID LADIES!!!
Yes, sir.

Old 09-10-06, 11:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I take it Sharapova is the girl on top. Yes, she is attractive but very thin. If so, it's obvious she plays a hard game of tennis and burns up a LOT of calories...either that or she is starving herself.
Old 09-10-06, 11:32 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

The bottom one isn't that great looking.

Quick Reply: Autoweek's review of the new G35 (errrrr beauty contest thread)