Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which kind of driver are you?
I drive fast & aggressive everyday [Cutting in and out of traffic]
5.60%
I drive fast & aggressive occasionally
21.98%
I drive fast but usually stay to one to two lanes only
56.47%
I drive at the speed limit but change lane when front slows down
13.79%
I obey the law at all cost
2.16%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of freeway driver are you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 06:27 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of freeway driver are you?

We all have our different way of driving. Please pick your way.

And please dont criticize the way other people drive. Sorry if I didnt get your way of driving down.

Last edited by Hartawan; 01-16-07 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-06-06, 06:49 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive pretty fast. I can't stand driving behind someone if there is room in front of them or to the side of them... I'll usually pass them and then slow down a bit, but I always try to stay ahead of the pack.
Old 09-06-06, 06:55 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

it depends on my mood and who pisses me off on the road....usually i'm pretty much about 5-10 miles over the speed limit unless all the other cars are going faster...
Old 09-06-06, 06:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Mostly fast and I don't consider it aggressive but I'm sure other drivers do. Always over the speed limit, never drive beside or behind anyone; faster than 99% of the cars. Try to use the #1 lane for passing only, always try to stay to the right; will not tailgate and will give other drivers extra time to merge over but if they don't, I will pass on the right if I have to. Don't wait in long lines to slowly exit the freeway but won't drive all the way up and then try to cut in line either. When the road opens up ahead of me, the need for speed almost always kicks in with 90-100 feasible. Always looking for cops, will slow down over hills and around corner, knows that rolling radar is very rare in Kansas so I hardly pay attention to car going the opposite way and no attention at all when their is a hard median; knows that if I drive fast, I will be responsible even if someone else does something stupid and am always prepared to break and/or manuever; not looking out for deer or animals and I know I should but it's so wide open here; slows down only a little at night; I always slow down in wet or inclement weather...always.
Old 09-06-06, 07:46 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm fast but also COURTEOUS!!!

I drive fast. Typically 10-15 mph over the speed limit on freeways.

However, I am always safe.

And I am always courteous. I always use my turn signals to change lanes. I always allow plenty of space between cars. I always stay on the fast lane only and pass left only.

I never honk my horn unless it's an emergency. I never cut people off. I never use any hand gesture against anyone. I never cross the double yellow line. I tailgait and flash my headlights sparingly. I thank people who let me pass.

I communicate. I communicate to most other drivers out there that I'm in a hurry. I do not communicate to other drivers that I'm an a-hole looking for trouble.

Be nice on the freeways and people will let you be...
Old 09-06-06, 08:20 PM
JessePS

I'm more aggressive on normal streets. Freeway I'm more laid back in one or two lanes but I speed.
Old 09-06-06, 10:25 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

This thread was actually referring to the ISx50 drivers but oh well.
Old 09-06-06, 11:55 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

And I am always courteous. I always use my turn signals to change lanes. I always allow plenty of space between cars. I always stay on the fast lane only and pass left only.

I never honk my horn unless it's an emergency. I never cut people off. I never use any hand gesture against anyone. I never cross the double yellow line. I tailgait and flash my headlights sparingly. I thank people who let me pass.

I communicate. I communicate to most other drivers out there that I'm in a hurry. I do not communicate to other drivers that I'm an a-hole looking for trouble.

ur weird....
Old 09-07-06, 01:38 AM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

This is almost exactly how I drive. Be safe out there!
Old 09-07-06, 01:54 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Used to be aggressive till i got both my tickets....now i tend to keep the speed limit, and get angry when the limit is 65 and people are going 55......Then i get aggressive and pass them going either the speed limit or under mind you.
Old 09-07-06, 03:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

When I'm going to and from work in the beater I drive fast but not aggresive. But in the SC I get tested a lot lol so I drive "different" ha ha
Old 09-07-06, 06:21 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I never drive aggressive, but I do tend to stick to the far left lane around 65ish, and enjoy taking the sweeping turns without braking. I tend to move at a quicker pace when there is less traffic, otherwise I'm more relaxed and tailing the car in front by 3 lengths or so. Unless someone is going slow in the 'fast' lane, I very rarely pass on the right. If someone is in my blind spot, or in some situation where I feel I could be in danger, I never hesitate to speed up and place myself in my own bubble. I'm always careful with how I brake as well, and always signal so that the person behind knows what I'm doing (especially for trucks and heavier vehicles). Every once in a while too, when conditions permit, I'll have a brief sprint with another car if I feel like having some fun.

To note, with any of my above behavior, I've never really been honked at, or high beamed.

When it rains, I'm doing the speed limit or less depending, and keeping about 4 cars distances or more.
Old 09-07-06, 06:31 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I drive fast in only one lane. Either the most left, or second to the left.
I'm a firm believer that the left lane should be used for passing only and therefore I use it for that purpose only.

I never flash people. I used to flash people but I learned that was very unsafe and unheard of. Instead now to communicate to folks in the very most left lane that it should be used for passing only I blink my foglights. A lot less obtrusive and it seems to work well.

I keep a minimum of 100ft between the car ahead of me and me. I prefer 300ft, but other drivers get the idea that they should just weave in and out making it a lot more dangerous than not having the massive gap.
Old 09-07-06, 07:36 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Im a faster driver. Usually in the 70 to 80 range. Not that aggressive (LOL I like how just about everyone above me and including me always says "Im not aggressive", but we damn well know we can be and to some are ), just depending on where I am going and if I am late. Not the one to dip and dodge in and out of traffic cause most of the time they only get 50 ft ahead anyway. Whats the point? I dont tailgate, but I do flash when Im coming up on you and there is room to move over.

I try to stay out of the left lane as much as possible because I notice that a great majority of drivers do not understand that the left lane is for passing only(unless there is a leftlane exit, then so be it). So they sit there in the left lane with a 100 ft gap in front of them while theres 23 cars behind him all suffering from tunnel vision. And usually during heavy traffic the left lane is the first lane that comes to a screeching halt. Accident just waiting to happen. Then Im forced to pass them in the clear middle lane. That is why I try to stay in the middle or right lane as much as possible.
Old 09-07-06, 10:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

everyone drives 80 on the freeways here so I go 80

Quick Reply: What kind of freeway driver are you?