Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you think the smart car is SAFE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 11:32 PM
mkool
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think the smart car is SAFE?

Watch this...
If this is repost, I'm sorry...^ ^

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/145085/smart_crash/
Old 09-01-06, 02:34 AM
JessePS

Trust me its one of the safest cars on the planet. I had one for 6 months, than got rid of it because of transmission problems. Great car. One thing if you go up against a semi, you would for sure die, pretty much any car against a semi would die.

From the video, the S-class seems to get alot of damage.
Old 09-01-06, 06:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I have driven it here in Mexico for work for about a week and granted you and a semi would not want to mix. However, it does move for something its size and displacement. I did not sense the pause or hesitation mentioned in other articles describing its acceleration. If it were not so expensive, I would probably have it as a second car as the gas tank level hardly moved after driving it.

They can get a little expensive for parts.
Old 09-01-06, 06:25 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it's pretty safe. Crashing it into a concrete barrier at 70mph, the cage is mostly intact. You can't say that for quite a number of cars. Granted, the G-forces might kill you but the car won't.
Old 09-01-06, 06:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would prefer to crash in the Smart compared to other cars out there...
Old 09-01-06, 08:24 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
Trust me its one of the safest cars on the planet. I had one for 6 months, than got rid of it because of transmission problems. Great car. One thing if you go up against a semi, you would for sure die, pretty much any car against a semi would die.

From the video, the S-class seems to get alot of damage.
Yes, for its size and class the Smart is extremely safe. However, if I had the choice to drive around in that or lets say a family vehicle (camry/accord) I would definitely choose the latter each time. Along with a safe structure, and safety systems, you need weight on your side.

The S-Class does get a lot of damage, but damage doesn't really mean anything. Modern vehicles are designed to crunch up (crumple zones) when they are in collisions. By having the body absorb/transfer most of the force means a better chance of survival for the occupants.

Are Smart cars safe? Yes. But for the same amount of money I could choose many OTHER cars I would like to ride in for my safety.
Old 09-02-06, 02:36 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

it's safe.

Fifth Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s
Old 09-02-06, 09:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Safe compared to what?

Due to small size, weight and no real crush zones, it is less safe than most cars, although considerable work has been done in making it safe.

You can check real test here:
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=1&id2=69

Basically Smart Car has really strong crash cage, HOWEVER that makes it transfer higher than usual forces into the restraints and then driver/passangers themselves.

If you add that cars in the US are considerably bigger than in Europe, that makes it a bit less safe as well.
Old 09-02-06, 09:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

let me put it this way - other than Koreans, it is not safer than any car sold in the US from 2000 onwards, and it is considerbly less safe than new cars from 2004-2005-2006.

Koreans have pretty poor record on cheap car safety.
Old 09-02-06, 12:23 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Koreans have pretty poor record on cheap car safety.
And this is BASED on what? The KIA SEDONA and HYUNDAI ENTOURAGE scored highest out of all minivans (Oddy, Caravan, Sienna) in the IIHS tests.

"it is not safer than any car sold in the US from 2000 onwards, and it is considerbly less safe than new cars from 2004-2005-2006."
This statement is wrong in so many ways.

Kindly, if you haven't done the research, do not give out information that is not true.
Old 09-02-06, 12:49 PM
LexFather

IMO, whats not safe, is driving a 6000lbs Expedition with puny brakes, small wheels and handles like a 50 year old Caddy..

However, people will continue to think bigger is safer or the thinking "better him than me", thus these giant rigs with people saying "I am safe".

Old 09-02-06, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

For its size, it is probably one of the safest cars on the planet, although the narrowness and high center of gravity probably don't bode well for roll-over resistance. And while 1SICKLEX is correct that full-size SUV's don't handle like sports cars, run that 6000-lb. Expedition into a 1500-lb. Smart and let's see who comes out second-best.
Old 09-02-06, 05:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bizzy928
And this is BASED on what? The KIA SEDONA and HYUNDAI ENTOURAGE scored highest out of all minivans (Oddy, Caravan, Sienna) in the IIHS tests.

This statement is wrong in so many ways.

Kindly, if you haven't done the research, do not give out information that is not true.
um - based on current Accent getting 1 star in EURONCAP tests, and Elantra not being much better. Based on none of the Daewoos/Chevrolets getting more than 3 stars.

Again, I said cheap korean cars, not big and expensive minivans.

I have actually done the research and based on that I have posted my info.
Old 09-02-06, 05:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For its size, it is probably one of the safest cars on the planet, although the narrowness and high center of gravity probably don't bode well for roll-over resistance. And while 1SICKLEX is correct that full-size SUV's don't handle like sports cars, run that 6000-lb. Expedition into a 1500-lb. Smart and let's see who comes out second-best.
No. Toyota Aygo and its twins are slightly heavier and bigger and get significantly better crash ratings than Smart.

Most, if not all, cars that were tested in EuroNCAP from 99 onwards got better ratings, and new cars get a lot better ratings. Let me put it this way - if Smart and Yaris hatch crash, Yaris driver would have bruises, while Smart driver would be spending a long time in the hospital.

Also keep in mind that when cars are tested against barrier, it is as if they crashed into same sized/weight car.
So Smart at 740kg getting 3 stars vs Yaris at 980kg getting 5 stars means that not only Yaris was significantly safer, it also had crash that was 30% stronger.

I am not saying it is not safe, but it is probably one of the least safe cars you can buy in the USA, other than cheap Korean cars.
Old 09-02-06, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

No. Toyota Aygo and its twins are slightly heavier and bigger and get significantly better crash ratings than Smart.

Well, yes and no. Size and weight often ( but not always ) increase safety factors. The Smart, for its size, has quite good ratings....so does the Aygo. In a substantial impact with a large, heavy vehicle, though, I would not want to be in either a Smart or an Aygo.

Quick Reply: Do you think the smart car is SAFE?