Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru to scrap unpopular grill design

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 07:31 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Subaru to scrap unpopular grill design

Subaru design shakeup: company scraps unpopular grille design

Say goodbye to Subaru's "propeller nose." The aircraft-inspired grille and front fascia will become a thing of the past as the Japanese automaker rolls out new models over the coming years, reports Australia's Herald-Sun. Company spokesman David Rowley told the newspaper the new face — most recently introduced on the Impreza last September — received mixed reviews at best. Arguably, the interpretation on the Tribeca crossover was even less popular. "It's fair to say the design will not appear on future Subarus," Rowley told the newspaper. Subaru design chief Andreas Zapatinas is believed to have been fired last month, though it's unclear what (if any) involvement he had in the highly-criticized designs during his short tenure.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/...future-models/
Old 08-28-06, 07:41 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Although distinctive, I never liked the looks. Hopefully, they choose something that isn't too whimsical, nor identical to other automakers...
Old 08-28-06, 07:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Great. That was a butt-ugly design to start with.

Subaru is obviously listening to their customers ( me being one of them ).

Now...when are BMW and Chris Bangle going to do the same?
And when is Audi going to follow Subaru's good example and dump those gross, oversized, tuna-sucking-wind grilles?
Old 08-28-06, 07:47 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

And when is Audi going to follow Subaru's good example and dump those gross, oversized, tuna-sucking-wind grilles?
I like the Audi ones, Subaru not so much. The Audi grille give it a more aggressive look.
Old 08-28-06, 08:45 AM
Gotham
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda liked that look on Subaru. Oh well.
Old 08-28-06, 09:09 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Ugly or not, I see alfa romeo not subie. However, the interior is nice though
Old 08-28-06, 06:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it didn't quite work on the B9 Tribeca. The rear looks like an Alfa and the front looks like a pig. Sorry if that sounded harsh.

However, it seemed to work better on the Impreza but then again, the Impreza is old and has been updated once already. I don't know why it has been updated again. I believe it's been around since 2001.

Also, the B1 (or whatever that tiny Subie is called) looks odd too with that grille design.
Old 08-28-06, 07:08 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I think both BMW and Audi's designs are very popular, though maligned by other manufacturers owners.
Old 08-28-06, 08:12 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is excellent move.

I think I have seen maybe 2 of those monstrosities around
here (and Subaru is REALLY common in the Northeast).
Old 08-28-06, 08:12 PM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

They don't have to. because despite the fact that they have few whining babies around them, they are selling pretty damn well. BMW even raised the price by few %, and still having great sales record throughout the world.
Old 08-28-06, 09:19 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Well it didn't quite work on the B9 Tribeca. The rear looks like an Alfa and the front looks like a pig. Sorry if that sounded harsh.

However, it seemed to work better on the Impreza but then again, the Impreza is old and has been updated once already. I don't know why it has been updated again. I believe it's been around since 2001.

Also, the B1 (or whatever that tiny Subie is called) looks odd too with that grille design.
I completely agree. Didn't like it so much on the B9, but I actually loved it on the Impreza. I thought it looked a lot better. Oh well.
Old 08-28-06, 10:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The thing with BMW is, they are selling IN SPITE of the design issues, IMO. IN SPITE of i-Drive and the Bangle-ruination. But it's important to note that the 3-series contains the least of each of those influences. The badge carries a lot of weight, just like it did for Benz then and now during the quality/design issues. Performance carries the BMW brand too--it could be a garbage can look and people would still buy it.

I think Subaru ditching that grille was a very good decision, and I'm surprised they were brave enough to do a mea culpa and jetisson them so quickly. IMO, Subaru the brand can improve greatly by making more fluid, pleasing designs and that grille was not part of it. Now if they'd only remodel the Impreza/WRX...
Old 08-29-06, 03:13 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I completely agree. Didn't like it so much on the B9, but I actually loved it on the Impreza. I thought it looked a lot better. Oh well.
+1

The grill design on the Impreza looked fine - especially in WRX/STi trim.

The B9 never looked right at all from any angle/perspective, grill or no grill - it's a hideous truck.

M.
Old 08-29-06, 03:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
I think both BMW and Audi's designs are very popular, though maligned by other manufacturers owners.
Yes and no. BMW and Audi have picked up some new owners while losing many of the previously faithful ones. In Audi's case, though, it is due more to superb engineering ( though that engineering does not always translate into reliability ) than its looks.

I personally know a number of BMW faithfuls who won't touch a Chris Bangle product....they just keep their old ones and put money and parts into them keeping them running. And, consequently, there are some people ( like genearch on this forum ) who like Bangle products and I-Drive. Overall, though, BMW's new designs have not been well-received.

Anyhow...back to Subaru. Personally, I think it was a good thing to drop the new grilles. Outbacks and Foresters, especially, have sold extremely well ( not without good reason ) and have an intensely loyal following without the aero-grilles....why mess them up just for the sake of something " different ? "

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-29-06 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-29-06, 04:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

About time they got rid of that grill it was painful to look at.

Quick Reply: Subaru to scrap unpopular grill design