Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota develops rear collision protection system-will first appear in new LS in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 09:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Toyota develops rear collision protection system-will first appear in new LS in Japan

Toyota announced today it has developed a new rear collision detection system that will identify an imminent crash and adjust the seats to best prevent whiplash. The technology will first appear in the Lexus LS luxury sedan this fall in Japan. It could eventually find its way to the United States and Europe if all goes well. The system uses radar to anticipate an impact from behind. Many automakers have used radar to develop automatic braking and adaptive cruise control systems, but the LS will be the first vehicle to use rear-facing radar to combat whiplash.
source : leftlanenews
Old 08-25-06, 10:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish that it can sense a moving car in the back and accelerate automatically to prevent someone from rear ending you.

Combined with adaptive cruise control, it would have been nice to detect if the car can accelerate forward to prevent a rear end collision in the first place. Since the car can prevent front end collisions, it should do a little more than "prepare" you from a rear end collision.
Old 08-25-06, 10:21 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice
VWs have an auto head-rest adjustment feature that adjusts the headrests automatically when it detects a crash but probably not as advanced as this system
Old 08-25-06, 10:22 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This is fantastic.
Makes me wonder with all that has been learned in racing, the mass auto industry has not adapted some of the technologies into seats. We still have basically the same seat that has been around for decades. Adjustable head rests are nice but but neck support has been non existent.
Old 08-25-06, 10:38 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I wish that it can sense a moving car in the back and accelerate automatically to prevent someone from rear ending you.

Combined with adaptive cruise control, it would have been nice to detect if the car can accelerate forward to prevent a rear end collision in the first place. Since the car can prevent front end collisions, it should do a little more than "prepare" you from a rear end collision.

u wouldnt want to have the car to roll into a busy intersection though
since cars dont have sensors on the sides to prevent t-bones
Old 08-26-06, 01:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow this is very nice, good thinking too and definitely complex. i would like to see how they pull it off and how they choose the "best position"

i know the new LS will have the feature where headrest come forward when it senses a rear collision, but adjust the seats as well (and fast enough), that's something!
Old 08-26-06, 02:18 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I read either a US or an European review that mentions the rear-facing radar in their tester, but now this news is saying it is a Japan-only option? What gives?
Old 08-26-06, 09:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the US and euro ones will still have the rear radar. if it determines a collision coming, it will sense it, i believe tightening the seat belt(?) and also the headrest will move forward to absorb the force when your head got thrown back.

but it doesn't adjust the seat to a "best" collision position, which is what they are trying here
Old 08-26-06, 12:34 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
the US and euro ones will still have the rear radar. if it determines a collision coming, it will sense it, i believe tightening the seat belt(?) and also the headrest will move forward to absorb the force when your head got thrown back.

but it doesn't adjust the seat to a "best" collision position, which is what they are trying here
So you're saying that the only thing missing from the US/European versions of the rear pre-collision is the seat adjustment? Sounds too trivial to specifically exclude from certain markets to me. Dunno, the news report above sure reads like the entire rear radar pre-collision system is a world's first and is reserved for JDM only.

Then again, something as trivial as a passenger memory seat is excluded from the US market too, so you may be right after all. Wonder what the reasoning behind all these minor exclusions are.
Old 08-26-06, 03:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
u wouldnt want to have the car to roll into a busy intersection though
since cars dont have sensors on the sides to prevent t-bones
Didn't think about that...

Man, I should just hire a driver instead of buying all these electronic gizmos.
Old 08-26-06, 03:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
So you're saying that the only thing missing from the US/European versions of the rear pre-collision is the seat adjustment? Sounds too trivial to specifically exclude from certain markets to me. Dunno, the news report above sure reads like the entire rear radar pre-collision system is a world's first and is reserved for JDM only.

Then again, something as trivial as a passenger memory seat is excluded from the US market too, so you may be right after all. Wonder what the reasoning behind all these minor exclusions are.
i don't know, i am also just basing on what i have read and known. could be the case that they want to test out the positioning of the seats first to make sure it's something reasonable and useful first?
Old 08-26-06, 06:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

it is the same system, just explained in more detail here...
Old 08-26-06, 06:16 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is the same system, just explained in more detail here...
It's not, according the article. If it is, why would the article say that "the technology will first appear in the Lexus LS luxury sedan this fall in Japan", and that "it could eventually find its way to the United States and Europe if all goes well"? If this news is true, something must be purposefully made missing in the US/European LS460. Me and rominl are just trying to decipher from the article what, not if, something is missing.
Old 08-26-06, 08:32 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

sometimes i still think that the japanese are too stuck up and too proud of themselves that they want to reserve some of the best stuff for themselves...

i want to hire a driver too, i want to hire the guy in The Transporter movies

with the LS460L or LS600HL looking so comfortable in the rear with the 4 seat arrangement, i really want sit in the back and get driven around sometimes
Old 08-27-06, 03:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

It's not, according the article. If it is, why would the article say that "the technology will first appear in the Lexus LS luxury sedan this fall in Japan", and that "it could eventually find its way to the United States and Europe if all goes well"? If this news is true, something must be purposefully made missing in the US/European LS460. Me and rominl are just trying to decipher from the article what, not if, something is missing.
thats because that little blurb is an summary of press release, that did not say that :-).

they said it will first appear in Japan, becuase LS is released first in Japan (Septembe).

In European press release, they claim it will be incorporated into LS as part of security system.

REAR PRE-CRASH SAFETY SYSTEM

LS 460 features the world’s first Rear Pre-Crash Safety system, using a millimetre-wave radar set into the rear bumper. This constantly scans the area around the back of the car, both when the vehicle is on the move and parked.

If a collision is calculated to be unavoidable, the system activates the front seat Pre-Crash Intelligent Headrests. These move up to 60mm forwards and 35 mm upwards to cushion the head in anticipation of an impact, greatly reducing the risk of whiplash injury. The headrests are fitted with a sensor that measures the distance between the passenger’s head and the headrest itself, so there is no risk of the emergency adjustment itself causing substantial contact. The system does not operate if the seat is unoccupied.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...26/019936.html

Quick Reply: Toyota develops rear collision protection system-will first appear in new LS in Japan