Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Problems with SpoilerDepots product?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-06, 07:24 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problems with SpoilerDepots product?

In Jan 03, I had a spoiler installed on my 02 ES. The spoiler was bought at the dealership and installed by them. However, the spoiler was made and painted by SpoilerDepot in Florida. The paint had bubbled in what started to be small pin ***** like bubbles that have escalated into blemished and white rings. The silver paint is discoloring unevenly and actually showing some spotting. At first I thought is was sun related but it is on the underside as well. Unfortunately, SpoilerDepot's direct warranty as well as what is offered by the dealership is only 12 months. A new spoiler is $250 painted and a local bodyshop will remove, strip, seal and repaint my exhisting one for the same price.

I am just curious as to if anyone else with a SpoilerDepot product has experienced this.

thanks,
steviej
Old 08-23-06, 08:46 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DUDE! i bought a spoiler from spoilerdepot.com for my camry and on my spoiler, the paint is like actually coming off, you can really only see it in the sunlight but if u look at it, you can see that its discoloring. I asked them if i had a warranty on it and they of course said no. but yeah i to am having a problem with the spoiler i purchased from them. i rewaxed the spoiler using some paint cleaner and some other two waxes, it looked better but not great. But i feel u on this one
Old 08-23-06, 10:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

The spoilers are $CHEAP$ and great for the money but never let them paint it. I'm waiting on my IS300 spoiler to come this week..... unpainted
Old 08-23-06, 10:48 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The spoilers are $CHEAP$ and great for the money but never let them paint it. I'm waiting on my IS300 spoiler to come this week..... unpainted
haha well its great that i know that now! wish i would have known earlier. Guess I had to find out the hard way
Old 08-24-06, 07:45 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

My dealership wants to see it, they said they may be able to put pressure on SpoilerDepot because they move so much of their product. OLT, thanks for the insight. If they can't get me a new unpainted one, then I may just have a local body shop strip it, prime it and repaint it they way it should have been and be done with it.

steviej
Old 08-24-06, 11:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Spoiler came in today https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234687
Old 08-25-06, 07:42 AM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

i bought mine unpainted-had it painted with the rest of my kit (wald, l-sportline roof sp.) my car is a 98 and i'm pretty sure even if they match it to the color code it won't match perfectly on mine anyhow the only thing is it does'nt fit tight the shop has to re-surface the bottom to sit right on the trunk.
Old 08-30-06, 11:34 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good discussion,
I was also thinking about going with the spoiler depot rear spoiler for the 02 ES300. I think the overall design looks much cleaner and flows better with the car than the OEM lexus spoiler....at least what I can tell from the pictures.
I was tempted to have them paint it but now if I get it, I will have my own body shop paint it. The body shop I use, gets trained quite extensively on using and mixing lexus paints. About 80% of their cars are all lexus vehicles.

Does anyone have good pictures of the spoiler depot product on a 02-06 ES300/330?
Old 08-30-06, 02:44 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had mine for a little more than 2 years now with no paint problems other than a little orange peel under the spoiler by the light.
Old 08-31-06, 07:01 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
Good discussion,
I was tempted to have them paint it but now if I get it, I will have my own body shop paint it. The body shop I use, gets trained quite extensively on using and mixing lexus paints. About 80% of their cars are all lexus vehicles.

Does anyone have good pictures of the spoiler depot product on a 02-06 ES300/330?

The unpainted spoiler is less than $150. Use the difference to have your body shop, prime, paint and clear coat the spoiler. SpoilerDepot responded to my email with instructions on how to do this since evidentally they only paint them (no primer or clear coat).

email me and i will send you whatever photos I have that show my spoiler from different angles. I do like this style better than say, the one for the Camry. Too many sharp angles on that one, I like the smooth curves and reduced height of mine better.

steviej
Old 09-18-06, 12:29 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

At the advice of my service manage, I had the parts manager look at the spoiler. He was very concerned with the appearence and condition of the product he sells for SpoilerDepot. He was also surprised when I told him about my email responce from SpoilerDepot and the fact that they don't prime before they paint. He has offered to remove the spoiler, sand it down, prime it and repaint it at no charge, plus I get a loaner for two days too.
Now that is what I call service.

steviej