Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 3 Series Interior is hideous!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 12:39 PM
jriney8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 3 Series Interior is hideous!

I'm debating on an entry level sports luxury sedan, and have been checking out the 3 series lately. I must say that Lexus absolutely blows their interior away! That is the most bland interior I think I've ever seen on a sports sedan. It looks like something from an early 90's benz or something. Horrible.

The 3 series does seem to be a lot roomier though, and everyone touts it's handling and driving performance. It's too bad the inside is sickening.
Old 08-07-06, 12:44 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

Dont hate! haha I think the e90(3series) interior looks simple and to the point while the 2IS looks great in it's own way. I'd hate to see another of the e90 vs 2IS thread starting so lets keep it neutral. Im biased becasue I own the 2IS but it can be said that if you want reliability, lexus is the way to go. However, if you are looking for great handling and not too shabby reliability(as I see from the bmw forums), go for a BMW. They are both great cars but I chose 2IS becasue I personally liked it's looks(inside and out) and wanted to stay in the toyota family.
Old 08-07-06, 12:45 PM
acsan
Driver

Yup, you got it! If you're in the market for an entry-level luxury sports sedan, the IS is in fact the most well-rounded car overall. It sure does make the choice much simpler!
Old 08-07-06, 12:51 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

hater...the 3 series is nice too..i wouldnt mind having it. i love both cars equally..comes down to personal preference.
Old 08-07-06, 01:00 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. When I was debating between the 3 series and 2IS back in June, the interior of the IS + standard eqpt are what convinced me. I asked myself which one makes me feel good while I'm in it. Of course a BMW enthusiast will say the engineering and performance of the car is what's more important. Oh don't forget the free maintenance. Since I was in the middle and never owned a BMW, I went with a Lexus. Still, IMO, I made the right choice going with the 2IS. I don't see many out on the road (at least not yet) compared to the 3 series.
Old 08-07-06, 01:06 PM
snaKe
Driver

exactly what i was thinking, check it out:

The BMW interior on the 5 series is also sucks, i loved the old center console which was turned to the driver like in the good old E38.
Old 08-07-06, 01:11 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Last November when I was car shopping I compared the IS250 to the 325i and Mercedes C280. While both the 325i and C280's base prices were lower than the IS250, the fact that I had to pay thousands extra for leather seats, push button starting, sunroof, and other features drew me towards the IS250, which has all these things standard. On each company's website I priced each vehicle with the same options as close as I could. The IS250 was about $6000 less expensive than the 325i and almost $8000 less expensive than the C280!
Old 08-07-06, 01:14 PM
ICSFSEDoD
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snaKe
exactly what i was thinking, check it out:

The BMW interior on the 5 series is also sucks, i loved the old center console which was turned to the driver like in the good old E38.
Coming from an E39 M5 and an E46 328i, I HATE the new E60/E90 cars. I'll agree that the interior sucks. That's why I picked the IS over the BMW. Don't let BMW fool you, the maintenance and repairs are significant over time. The Lexus shouldn't come close to BMW in that department. The M5 had better handling and more power, but at the expense of higher maintenance costs as well. As never, ever forget ///M stands for Markup...
Old 08-07-06, 01:15 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmusic
Last November when I was car shopping I compared the IS250 to the 325i and Mercedes C280. While both the 325i and C280's base prices were lower than the IS250, the fact that I had to pay thousands extra for leather seats, push button starting, sunroof, and other features drew me towards the IS250, which has all these things standard. On each company's website I priced each vehicle with the same options as close as I could. The IS250 was about $6000 less expensive than the 325i and almost $8000 less expensive than the C280!
Good thing you didn't go with the C280. The MB salesman told me the re-design is coming in 2007.
Old 08-07-06, 01:15 PM
lirandy
Driver

I love both cars too. I used to think I was going to get 325I or 350, but I don't know why. I ended up with 250. LOL, anyway, IMO I planned to keep this car long (more than 4 years for sure). So, I just stick with a more reliability car and I am just too tired of the electrical problem from European cars (No offense, just personal experience)
Old 08-07-06, 02:02 PM
jriney8
Driver School Candidate

I'm not "hating" on the E90....I seriously considered it for a while. I tried talking myself into getting used to the interior, but it's absolutely horrible. I don't understand how you can produce such a nice looking and driving vehicle, and then totally bomb on the interior. I liked the 3 series because it feels more roomy and just seems bigger. But I couldn't live with looking at bland dashboard and weird hump in the top for the NAV.
Old 08-07-06, 02:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The interior of the E90 is quite conservative for their best-seller, especially when it's a wood dash rather than the metallic one.

If anything in the interior beats the IS, it's their sports seats. Those are nice!
Old 08-07-06, 03:32 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

First i went and test drove the lexus, then the next day i went to the bmw dealer,
as soon as i got into it, I saw the gross interior and didn't even bother test driving it
Old 08-07-06, 03:36 PM
LexFather

Moved to car chat, nothing about the IS in the title of this thread. The 3 interior is not its selling point but lets not bash it.

Old 08-07-06, 04:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Moved to car chat, nothing about the IS in the title of this thread. The 3 interior is not its selling point but lets not bash it.
i am sure you get used to it over time... but what I find funny is that they decided to make it simple, which is great for a lot of people, yet then they complicated the hell out of it with idrive.

Quick Reply: BMW 3 Series Interior is hideous!