Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I "totalled" my car and really need advice, please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 11:38 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I "totalled" my car and really need advice, please!

I'm really needing some advice from you guys. About a month ago I ended up totalling my car- technically the wreck WAS my fault but due to a lovely H2 owner who swerved into my lane, it wasn't in reality. Being in college, my parents pay my insurance payment and with my car now being about ten years old, my mom took the collision coverage off it five months ago because it seemed unnecessary. Basically, there is no coverage or money coming back for my car. Over the course of a month my parents, who are divorced, have been in a state of complete disagreeance over who will and won't help pay for the repairs, or for a new car, or whatever else. I go back to school on August 21st, and living in Atlanta with no car really isn't an option. The public transit isn't like New York, DC, or Boston.

My car is/was a 1997 Camry 4cylinder with the full TRD package- springs, struts, front strut mounts, rear sway bar, exhaust, body kid, light weight alloy rims, ect. I have posted pics of my car here before and for being ten years old, it was really in great shape and a good looking car, plus pretty entertaining to drive. I love how it drives. My dad put about twelve hundred dollars into it two months ago for seals and plugs and the 100,000 service, so my car is very sound as far as maintance is concerned. The last few transmission inspections have revealed fluid that's a bit dirtier than it should be, so it has been a bit if a concern but nothing major. Now, there are about $5,300 worth of damages to it- engine mounts, hood, bumper, intercooler, A/C, ect all needs to be replaced. The true value of this car is maybe $7,000 anyways. My dilemma resides in the fact that my parents are not communicating on getting my car fixed or replaced, and are giving me minimal money to get it fixed- $500, $1000 or whatever. It has been sitting at the body shop for a month now, and my mom got a call today that one of the technicians there wants to buy my car. I am not being left with much of a choice but to find a way to fix my existing car, or buy a new one. I'm very seriously considering taking out a minimal student loan to pay for the car repairs, or for a new one.

Should I try and have my car repaired, or look at a new one? It was in one minor front end accident before this one, FYI. Mechanically my car is pretty sound but again I'm somewhat concerned about the transmission for the next two or three years. It's also going to be just under the actual value of the car to get it fixed. The thing that sucks is with my dad working for Toyota, I have obvious benefits with maintence and warranty stuff, so I need to stay within the Toyota family. I am 6'1" so really, a Corolla isn't going to be comfortable for me long term and I don't like the way that they drive, sans the XRS which is rare. I'd rather have my car. I also don't care to drive a Camry without the suspension upgrades that mine had, because again, I can't stand them. My car drives quite well and I'd rather have it than any other Camry. I've thought about Avalons and Solaras as well, but neither appeals to me too much. One thing I've taken a liking to is the 1999, 2000 or 2001 ES300. I know it wouldn't be as tight as my car (handling wise) but they're solid cars, are supposed to be exceptional used cars, are the right size, have decent power, are conservatively good looking, Lexus quality, and it's still in the Toyota family. I have found nicely optioned cars in these model years for between nine and twelve thousand dollars asking price, so who knows what it would be bottom line. GS300s have crossed my mind but they are still relatively exensive and require premium gas, and are more expensive to insure. 4Runners were another consideration but I think gas would eat me alive.

I'd appreciate any suggestions here on whether I should fix my car, buy another, and if so, what should I get? I know some people are going to be like, "Wrecked car...then you're a brat if Camrys and Corollas are beneath you," but please just try to relate to the argument above and I really do appreciate the replys, in advance.

Michael
Old 08-05-06, 12:00 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

man, only you can make that decision on repair or not. it's gotta be worth it to you.

otherwise you will be flossin' a MARTA pass

Personally, i'd scrap it.
Old 08-05-06, 01:06 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

id scrap it, keep the goodies off it, and find a similar car to put them on.

alternatively, you could scrap it, sell the goodies, and buy w/e u can
Old 08-05-06, 01:18 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Scrap the car. The damage sound too severe to be worth fixing.

In my family, we think it's bad luck to drive around in a car you've already had an accident in.
Just the karma following you around.
Old 08-05-06, 04:29 AM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to agree with the earlier post. I also say scrap it.

I don't know what the insurance regulations are in Georgia, but in the state of Florida if the repairs on a vehicle exceed 80% of the cars actual cash value then it is deemed a total loss by the insurance companies under state law. Of course there are exceptions to the rules if the owner of the vehicle wants to keep it, but thats a different story all together. Just make sure that if you do wind up scraping it, that you do get what its worth was prior to the accident o.b.o.

Good Luck..............
Old 08-05-06, 08:33 AM
LexFather

I am sorry to hear what happened, I really don't know what to tell you what to do

Old 08-05-06, 09:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

If I end up taking out a student loan to pay for the car, I'm not repairing my existing one. I'll definitely get a new car...and at this point, that's how it's looking. I'm finding a lot of nice 4Runners, but who knows?
Old 08-05-06, 09:24 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

My brother goes to LIFE, so I know the need to have a car in Georgia as far as your Camry goes sell it to the tech, many times guys who work in car shops will buy cars cause they have the needs to get them back on the road for way less then you or I could.

It's really hard to say but Georgia is a mecca of used cars, just start looking you will find something.

Word to the wise, don't **** the parents off if they pay your bill or help you out, I know many of my brothers friends are doing 100% financial aid, nothing like finishing school with a quarter million dollars to pay back
Old 08-05-06, 02:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As much as I hate to say it, total it. I can understand your feelings towards a car that has been so faithful and one to call your own with the modifications you made but the value of the repairs are almost 2/3s the value of your car. However, I'd remove the parts you added on since you can resell them or put them on the next 97-99Camry you find.
Old 08-05-06, 05:10 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bruce van
Scrap the car. The damage sound too severe to be worth fixing.

In my family, we think it's bad luck to drive around in a car you've already had an accident in.
Just the karma following you around.

Really? I think its good luck to drive the car you had an accident on. Think of it, that car helped me stay safe, and saved me. If damage done was not critical. Then itll be a grateful car to keep it alive!

My SC300 runs better now then when I got it.

But withouth financial support or ..insurance money coming in.

Thought for me to say to fix it although i had much worse things fixed in the past.

Sell it, get the aftermarket items, if youre using them. IF not try to get some money for it from the tech.

And get a car you can afford. Maybe an older camry, or civic or corolla one that is truly yours and not your chaotic parents.
Old 08-05-06, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As you point out, you have many options here, but after reading your story I think your best one is to probably sell the damaged car to the technician who wants it if you two can agree on a price. Then take what you get for it, use it as a down payment, apply for a student loan ( or a Toyota loan if your dad can get you one ) and put it down on a new car. You say that you want to stay in the Toyota family but you are 6' 1 " and have trouble fitting in a Corolla. I am 6' 2" and 280 lb. and have no trouble at all in a Corolla. Try adjusting the seat all the way down and make sure it is lowered all the way and all the way back. You can rake the seatback slightly if you need to.....just not too much because than the shoulder belt won't work properly.
if you find you simply cannot fit in a Corolla, then try the Matrix with its slightly higher roof. If that still does not work, then, well, we'll just go on from there.
Old 08-05-06, 06:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Getting a student loan to buy a car? How is that possible? Don't you have to show classes having been paid for with the loan? Maybe I'm just completely naive here. It's only our tax dollars (or lottery money) after all.

Anyway, you say the car is totalled, so what sense does it make to fix it? As they say, it'll never be the same.

But try to avoid another loan - it will only set you back financially in the future. And I don't know where you live or how far to college, but public transportation in Atlanta can be just fine for many.