Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My 3 sleeper car companies I like (What are yours?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 08:39 PM
LexFather

Exclamation My 3 sleeper car companies I like (What are yours?)

1. Mazda.
Let me tell you, I just love their products inside and out. They use that 5 point grill (sharing with Acura), have styled tailights (reminds me of the 1RX) and very good interiors. Peppy engines and the RX-8 is like nothing else on earth. Not a fan of the "Zoom Zoom" tagline but the cars and vans (the Mazda 5 is a sweet smallish van) with decent reliabiity get overlooked by Toyota, Honda and Nissan but are solid cars. I have to admit, we have had a 1992 929 and have a 1995 929 and the car is fantastic.

2. Suburu.

Another niche maker, now the ugly *** Tribeca threw me off but what an interior! The WRX is just a killer car for the money. The Legacy, if I was not a badge hound, I can see myself in a B spec. The Forester, Outbacks, LL Beans, etc, they specialize in AWD and have been doing well. Again, overlooked by the larger companies but they do AWD very, very well. I like their styling and their interiors for the most part are very good.

3. Audi.
This luxury brand in America pretty much gets no respect. And outside the Q7, I think their lineup is as solid as the best competiton. They have the classic Audi look and we all know Audi does interiors with the best of them. AWD is the way to go with an AUDI (sorry can't do FWD). Reliability ain't great but I hope they will work on it. Is it just me or the A8 is perfect? The A6 has grown on me tons. The A4 is fantastic. TT/A3 look good inside and out. A great slept on company.

These are my 3 underdog picks. What are yours?

Old 08-01-06, 09:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. Mazda.
Let me tell you, I just love their products inside and out. They use that 5 point grill (sharing with Acura), have styled tailights (reminds me of the 1RX) and very good interiors. Peppy engines and the RX-8 is like nothing else on earth. Not a fan of the "Zoom Zoom" tagline but the cars and vans (the Mazda 5 is a sweet smallish van) with decent reliabiity get overlooked by Toyota, Honda and Nissan but are solid cars. I have to admit, we have had a 1992 929 and have a 1995 929 and the car is fantastic.

2. Suburu.

Another niche maker, now the ugly *** Tribeca threw me off but what an interior! The WRX is just a killer car for the money. The Legacy, if I was not a badge hound, I can see myself in a B spec. The Forester, Outbacks, LL Beans, etc, they specialize in AWD and have been doing well. Again, overlooked by the larger companies but they do AWD very, very well. I like their styling and their interiors for the most part are very good.

3. Audi.
This luxury brand in America pretty much gets no respect. And outside the Q7, I think their lineup is as solid as the best competiton. They have the classic Audi look and we all know Audi does interiors with the best of them. AWD is the way to go with an AUDI (sorry can't do FWD). Reliability ain't great but I hope they will work on it. Is it just me or the A8 is perfect? The A6 has grown on me tons. The A4 is fantastic. TT/A3 look good inside and out. A great slept on company.

These are my 3 underdog picks. What are yours?
Hmm, underdogs, huh? Well, I guess I agree on the Mazda, but also I think Geo used to be nice in the sense that you could get a Corolla for less (geo prism). And I don't know if Lotus is considered to be an underdog, but the Elise is awesome.
Old 08-01-06, 09:32 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mazada caught my eye when the Protege5 came out, just love that thing. That's the car I'd buy if I needed a 4 banger for commuting. Hatchbacks aren't big in the US but I totally dig 'em. The current models are generally more hip and sporty than their competition but a lot of people don't even consider Mazda when shopping.

Now Subaru has a very loyal following. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the highest percentage of repeat buyers. I don't see them as being underdogs, I think their costs are a bit higher because of AWD, so people that really don't need that shop elsewhere.

Audi's often left out of lux/sport car discussions, it's really a shame . Ever since Ronin came out (remember that S8?) I became a HUGE fan. And you'll see me post this a million times: NOBODY DOES INTERIORS BETTER THAN AUDI ! But yeah, the reliability is on par with their German rivals, which means it's way behind the Japanese market. However, I see myself owning an Audi down the road (actually leasing cause it ain't worth the heartache once the warranty runs out) .

If I had to chose one car that's not given it's proper due, I'd say the Z06 Vette. This is one car that can hang with the exotics and costs half the price. I don't hear many people talking about it (at least in my circles) but it's got to be the best performance per dollar out there.
Old 08-02-06, 04:56 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Audi is definetly a sleeper!!! That A8 is very nice car that people sleep on. Its just as nice or nicer than the 7 series and s-class IMO...
Old 08-02-06, 04:59 AM
STR8-IS300
Driver School Candidate

1. Saburu
2. Mazda
3. Mitsubishi
Old 08-02-06, 05:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with Mazda ( drove them for 11 years ) and Subaru ( now own an Outback myself ) but I still don't think that Hyundai, even now, is getting the attention it deserves. In the last 5-7 years they have improved like no other company in my lifetime.
Old 08-02-06, 05:31 AM
faulks2
Driver

What qualifies a manufacturer as a "sleeper"?
Old 08-02-06, 06:06 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mazda
Mazda
and...Mazda

With the emergence of the MS3, I'm even more impressed with their current lineup, while the only 2 carsremaining on my "wants" list, would be a 4th generation RX-7, and the Kabura. A power bump in the current MX-5 would be nice (220hp please), so as to better combat the upcoming competition from the solstice/sky. Having been a Mazda fan (1st gen miata) since before I even got into cars, I have to say that few others cars just exude the raw fun factor, tranny feel, and chassis/suspension that a Mazda offers. Most unique brand out of Japan given the rotary development/Le Mans victory, while always having a community feel to their vehicles.

I also have my eye on Hyundai, but otherwise can't select a 3rd make.
Old 08-02-06, 06:16 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

I am in love with that MazdaSpeed 6 ....WHAT A CAR! TEst drove one at the dealer, its fantastic, not to mention superb looks exterior and interior. A very sporty looking sedan that plays the part well.
Old 08-02-06, 06:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Gotta give a shout out to VW despite their problems in the U.S. Most people in the U.S. don't ever consider them or haven't looked at their product line, but let me tell you, it's SHARP. Drives great, looks great, feels really good. It's kind of Audi-lite.

Subaru - love 'em but I think their line seems a bit stale to me right now.

Audi - I think I will own one, one day.
Old 08-02-06, 06:37 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Gotta give a shout out to VW despite their problems in the U.S. Most people in the U.S. don't ever consider them or haven't looked at their product line, but let me tell you, it's SHARP. Drives great, looks great, feels really good. It's kind of Audi-lite.

Subaru - love 'em but I think their line seems a bit stale to me right now.

Audi - I think I will own one, one day.
Yep - VW is slept on. Primarily because in the past they've priced themselves out a little bit w/ cars like the Passat. But the Mk5/B6 Passat is a fantastic car (I test drove one recently) and, configured properly, can be an excellent value.

M.
Old 08-02-06, 06:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

One car company I know, not likely to come to the U.S., is SEAT, a Spanish division of VW. They exist here in Mexico and in Argentina and make some darned good cars for the price and power. I know many friends who did comparison shopping and ended up getting these vehicles. A real sleeper there.

I also agree with Mazda and Subaru. Mazda is slow sneeking up on Toyota and Honda down here, especially on pricing.
Old 08-02-06, 10:08 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Mazda - See signature. Mazda designs some of the most fun, driver friendly cars I have ever owned. With the exception to the Tribute and B series truck line, all of Mazda's cars really espouse their "Zoom Zoom" philosophy. They may not be the fastest, but they are affordable and FUN. Miata, Mazda 3, Protege 5, Mazda 6, Mazda 5, Rx-8, and MPV are all winners

Lotus - Their approach to sports cars is no nonsense and to the point. Lightweight, handles right. I see them as a British Mazda.

Hyundai - Their growth as a company has seen dramatic increases in reliability, safety, and overall value, making them the true underdog in the auto world.