Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Effects of Gas Price on Vehicle Choices : Winners & Losers . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 06:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Effects of Gas Price on Vehicle Choices : Winners & Losers . . .

Small Cars Crush Trucks Online in Q2, According to Autobytel Purchase Request Data; Online Purchase Requests Fall 34% for the F-150, 43% for Tundra and Silverado; Toyota Camry, Yaris and Honda Civic All Post Big Gains

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 24, 2006--
Camry Outpaces Civic to Take Overall Most Requested Vehicle Spot

Autobytel Inc. (Nasdaq:ABTL) today released its Consumer Choice report for the second quarter of 2006, revealing the new vehicle buying decisions made on the company's popular automotive web sites from April through June(a).

Looking at the quarter's big winners (fuel-efficient cars) and losers (pretty much everything else), it's clear that consumers' focus on fuel is continuing to shake up the car market -- even more so online than off.

"It comes as no surprise that the pinch consumers are feeling at the pump is playing out with dramatic increases in the popularity of small cars, but one thing that caught us by surprise was just how steep the drop-off in demand for trucks was in Q2," said Autobytel editor Brian Chee. "Trucks took a hit offline as well, of course, but it wasn't nearly as pronounced, which is typical: online car buyers often lead the trends that become the big industry-wide headlines, which is why our Consumer Choice reports are worth watching."

Truck Demand Finally Doused by High Fuel Prices

While "fuel anxiety" has seriously hurt demand for bigger SUVs for well over a year on Autobytel sites, Q2 was the first quarter where trucks -- generally the most popular vehicles in the U.S. -- suffered a similar fate. Requests plummeted 43% for the outgoing Toyota Tundra vs. a year ago, despite incentives, with equally abrupt nosedives for the Chevy Silverado (also down 43%), Dodge Ram (down 50%), Honda Ridgeline (down 38%) and Nissan Titan (down a titanic 52%). Even the venerable Ford F-150, the perennial top-selling vehicle in America, suffered a 34% drop in requests.

Not surprisingly, Autobytel shoppers hastened their retreat from less fuel-efficient SUVs, with requests falling 56% vs. a year ago for the Hummer H3, for example, and 62% for the Jeep Grand Cherokee, despite a recent redesign. It should be noted, however, that two gas-gulping SUVs managed to buck this trend: the red-hot Toyota FJ Cruiser -- which debuted as the second most requested SUV in Q2, trailing only the extremely popular Toyota RAV4 -- and the incentives-laden Ford Explorer, which generated a 14% boost in requests vs. '05.

(a) Autobytel's Consumer Choice report is based on vehicle Purchase Requests submitted (with an intent to buy) by online shoppers through Autobytel's sites from April through June 2006.

A Tale of Two Markets ...

The impact of high gas prices on the car market may seem like old news, but the shift is actually still picking up steam. To illustrate how the market is transforming right before our eyes, here's a look at how Autobytel shoppers' demand swung for certain key models -- "fuel sippers" vs. "gas guzzlers" -- from the short span between the first and second quarters of 2006:
Code:
"Fuel Sippers"      % change Q1-Q2 "Gas Guzzlers"       % change Q1-Q2
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Toyota ECHO/Yaris   +835%           Jeep Grand Cherokee -58%
Ford Escape Hybrid  +110%           Dodge Ram           -47%
Toyota Prius        +73%            Ford F-150          -40%
Ford Focus          +72%            Hummer H3           -39%
Honda Civic         +20%            Dodge Charger       -29%
Chevrolet Cobalt    +19%            Chrysler 300        -13%
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Autobytel Consumer Choice Hot List

Here's a list of 10 vehicles -- most with very good fuel numbers (with one notable exception) -- that captured the hearts of Autobytel's shoppers during the second quarter, as evidenced by either a sizzling debut or a major uptick in Purchase Requests. Automakers take note: These are the vehicles that are winning out in a competitive multi-brand research environment -- the vehicles that are rising to the top online, where the majority of buying decisions are now being influenced.

Link to http://www.autobytel.com/content/sha...le_id_int/2015 for complete analysis.

2007 Toyota Yaris -- With Purchase Requests up more than 800% vs. the model it replaced (the Echo) in the first quarter, the Yaris has quickly made its model predecessor a fading, distant memory.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid -- Camry reliability + hybrid sensibility = big-time popularity among Autobytel's fuel-focused shoppers.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser -- The second most requested SUV on Autobytel's sites straight out of the blocks. An amazing introduction for an SUV that gets poor gas mileage and a testament to the power of styling that hits the mark. The bottom line: People want to be seen in this car.

2007 Honda Fit -- Cool, fuel-efficient: another hit for Honda.

2007 Lexus ES 350 -- This much-improved car proves that luxury doesn't have to cost at the pump -- a combination that Autobytel buyers rewarded with a 137% boost in Purchase Requests vs. a year ago.

2006 Toyota RAV4 -- Whether it comes with four or six cylinders, the redesigned RAV4 is shedding its "sorority sister" SUV reputation. The result: Requests were up 108% in the second quarter vs. '05.

2006 Honda Civic -- Will the run ever end? Probably not anytime soon, given that requests for the redesigned Civic were up 62% compared to 2005 (when the Civic was already among Autobytel's top-three most requested vehicles).

2007 Dodge Caliber -- Cool, inexpensive, great fuel mileage ... plus that trendy, edgy styling.

2006 Hyundai Sonata -- Online shoppers are warming up to the value and reliability of the Sonata, another complete redesign that scored big with Autobytel shoppers. Toyota and Honda should be getting nervous right about now.

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid -- Incentives, room and fuel economy make this a very popular choice among Autobytel shoppers, as requests rose 47% compared to last year.

To speak with an Autobytel analyst about Q2 and current Autobytel consumer trends in a rapidly changing marketplace, contact Joe Foster, 323-572-5361 or joe@rbicom.com.

The 10 Vehicles Autobytel Shoppers Requested Most in Q2 2006

1. Toyota Camry
2. Honda Civic
3. Honda Accord
4. Honda Odyssey
5. Toyota Corolla
6. MINI Cooper
7. Toyota RAV4
8. Toyota Yaris
9. Toyota Prius
10. Toyota Sienna

source : autobyte
Old 07-25-06, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lol, in some sense i guess it's not a weird thing that i DO look at the camry se lately
Old 07-25-06, 09:56 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at the Camry Hybrid myself. I figure it would be a better commute car than the GS4 and the $2K tax credit makes it a bit more appealing.
Old 07-25-06, 10:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
[
1. Toyota Camry
2. Honda Civic
3. Honda Accord
4. Honda Odyssey
5. Toyota Corolla
6. MINI Cooper
7. Toyota RAV4
8. Toyota Yaris
9. Toyota Prius
10. Toyota Sienna

source : autobyte

Toyota and Honda are the only manufactures in the world.
Old 07-25-06, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by STIG
Toyota and Honda are the only manufactures in the world.
who make useful cars? lol j/k
Old 07-25-06, 11:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, in some sense i guess it's not a weird thing that i DO look at the camry se lately
Sure why not. When you can swap the LED tails from the Hybrid into an SE V6 or even install the factory "SE" body kit on a Hybrid, it's win win!
Old 07-26-06, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
Sure why not. When you can swap the LED tails from the Hybrid into an SE V6 or even install the factory "SE" body kit on a Hybrid, it's win win!
believe me, if it's not the front grille....
Old 07-26-06, 12:21 AM
xioix
Racer

believe me, if it's not the front grille....
Hopefully a body kit will change that grill
Old 07-26-06, 12:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by xioix
Hopefully a body kit will change that grill
i could be wrong, but when i was checking out the car, that seems to be part of the whole bumper. so unless there is a full replacement (which wont' be cheap)...
Old 07-26-06, 12:49 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do I hear a group buy for the Taiwan Camry front bumper and grill
Old 07-26-06, 01:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Do I hear a group buy for the Taiwan Camry front bumper and grill
damn you read my mind, chris!
Old 07-26-06, 01:40 AM
xioix
Racer

i could be wrong, but when i was checking out the car, that seems to be part of the whole bumper. so unless there is a full replacement (which wont' be cheap)...
Yeah it is the whole front, the Evo8 had that ugly grill, but their was a kit that made it look stock with the grill fixed