Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a Honda

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 09:40 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like I'll be shopping for a Honda

Sorry if it isn't exactly automotive but it is another automotive mfr.

Honda to Sell Sleek Microjet in U.S. Robert Roy Britt

Honda announced today it will begin taking orders for a new, small jet aircraft later this year.

The HondaJet, unveiled last year, will enter the "very light jet" market in the United States, the company said.

Honda claims its microjet, as some call the class, will "achieve far better fuel efficiency, larger cabin and luggage space and higher cruise speed than conventional aircraft in its class," the company said in a statement.

The sleek jet has an an all-glass flight deck. An over-the-wing engine design maximizing space in the fuselage for passengers and luggage, the company said. The configuration is also said to reduce drag at high speed to improve fuel efficiency.

The prototype jet, which seats up to seven, has completed more than 240 hours of flight testing, flying to 43,000 feet and hitting 412 knots.

"Aviation has been an important dream of Honda for more than four decades," said Satoshi Toshida, senior managing director of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. "Our goal is consistent with the philosophy of other Honda products—to provide convenient and efficient transportation that will make people's lives better. We are excited now to enter a new dimension of mobility."

Honda will form a new U.S. company to deal with FAA regulations. It also plans to form an alliance with Piper Aircraft, Inc.

The plans were announced today at the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) AirVenture 2006, the world's largest annual aviation gathering in Oshkosh, Wis.

The move comes at a time when "microjets" increasingly are used to hop between regional airports in a market that industry officials expect to burgeon in coming years as the FAA sets up new rules that foster the approach.

"Piper is very excited about this alliance and the way it complements our vision for the future," said James K. Bass, president and CEO of Piper Aircraft.
Old 07-25-06, 09:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

amazing they designed their own jet and engines with little to no prior aircraft design work before
Old 07-25-06, 10:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, if it comes with TL's 5speed auto I wouldn't fly it....
Old 07-25-06, 11:28 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

It's very cool news. I remember when they first announced plans to build a small plane...very happy to see the idea come to fruition.

Can't have a talk about japanese aircraft without throwing in these guys from Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Zero

Mitsubishi F-2
Old 07-25-06, 11:57 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, if it comes with TL's 5speed auto I wouldn't fly it....
No tranny but in the Japanese effort to often improve that which does not need improving, they mounted the engines on pylons on top of the wing. Looks a bit strange.
Old 07-25-06, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Honda may end up paying the Piper here.

Seriously, mounting the jets on top of the wing is not a bad idea...for two reasons. First, it gets the compressdor intakes up far off the ground ( with the wing underneath it ) so that they don't suck up debris off the ground, and Second, if they are high enough to escape the burbling of the airflow over the top of the wing, it will mean a smooth stream of air going into the engines....this is critical for the fuel injectors to get a good even mixture for optimum burning.
Old 07-25-06, 02:15 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda may end up paying the Piper here.

Seriously, mounting the jets on top of the wing is not a bad idea...for two reasons. First, it gets the compressdor intakes up far off the ground ( with the wing underneath it ) so that they don't suck up debris off the ground, and Second, if they are high enough to escape the burbling of the airflow over the top of the wing, it will mean a smooth stream of air going into the engines....this is critical for the fuel injectors to get a good even mixture for optimum burning.
I've actually seen the Hondajet and heard the reasoning behind putting the engines on the pylons over the wing. As far as the FOD issue, putting them on the fuselage in the rear is probably a better choice. The engines are high enough up to avoid boundary layer issues on the wing, at least until high AoA but I am not convinced I want a big bloody pylon attached to what should normally be a sweet spot on the top of the wing. The engines are not that far outboard but the closer you get their thrust lines to the centerline the less critical engine out issues you have. But it is nice to see somebody else get into the VLJ market. I wonder if it will be big enough to support all these guys?
Old 07-25-06, 05:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

More HERE
Old 07-25-06, 06:18 PM
maz
Lead Lap

how much? $$$
Old 07-25-06, 06:30 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by maz
how much? $$$
My friendly Hondajet sales rep would not say much other than it will be competitive in the VLJ market which means less than $4M but probably well over $2M. Of course, options can bring it up. Getting 20s in wheel wells is expensive.
Old 07-25-06, 07:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Huge props (haha) to Honda for getting into a new market... I think there's a looooooooooooong term vision here, that with traffic the way it is, and commercial flying the way it is, more and more people are going to want to fly themselves.

Commercial flying sucks. Traffic around major cities sucks. Flying a private plane? Priceless.
Old 07-25-06, 09:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RON430
I've actually seen the Hondajet and heard the reasoning behind putting the engines on the pylons over the wing. As far as the FOD issue, putting them on the fuselage in the rear is probably a better choice. The engines are high enough up to avoid boundary layer issues on the wing, at least until high AoA but I am not convinced I want a big bloody pylon attached to what should normally be a sweet spot on the top of the wing. The engines are not that far outboard but the closer you get their thrust lines to the centerline the less critical engine out issues you have. But it is nice to see somebody else get into the VLJ market. I wonder if it will be big enough to support all these guys?
I am just not surprised b/c if everyone is doing thigns one way, they will do things another way. Its a Honda thing.

Old 07-25-06, 09:41 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Cool HondaJet commercial!

http://world.honda.com/ThePowerofDreams/jet/mov-jet-60/

Aside from what already has been said, the engine placement on top of the wings also allows for more cabin space.
Old 07-25-06, 09:46 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Hope there are no first year bugs on that thing
Old 07-25-06, 11:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Cool HondaJet commercial!

http://world.honda.com/ThePowerofDreams/jet/mov-jet-60/

Aside from what already has been said, the engine placement on top of the wings also allows for more cabin space.
The one I got inside of didn't have an interior so I really can't say but it didn't look like there was any different amount of space in side. Certainly not beause of the engines living on top of the wings but Honda, or any good auto manufacture, might be able to put an aircraft interior together that sets new standards. That would be nice indeed.

Quick Reply: Looks like I'll be shopping for a Honda