Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor sounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 06:55 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor sounds

I just put some tips on the Marauder, which delete the built into the tip resonators, to enhance the sound. I then recorded this audio of it and the GS. The GS has the L-tuned exhaust. Can you tell which is which?

Listen.
Edit: Fixed the server so direct download works

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 07-24-06 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-23-06, 09:26 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Site loads up gibberish. But I think the Marauder would have a more American muscle tone (loud and throaty) to it where as the GS would have the much more hollow luxurious sound but still throaty.
Fix the links and I'll see if I can tell the difference.
Old 07-23-06, 10:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I just put some tips on the Marauder, which delete the built into the tip resonators, to enhance the sound. I then recorded this audio of it and the GS. The GS has the L-tuned exhaust. Can you tell which is which?

Listen.
Thanks for sharing the clip.

I want to say the Marauder is 1st and the GS 2nd? I think I hear the S/C

Old 07-24-06, 08:56 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koma
Site loads up gibberish. But I think the Marauder would have a more American muscle tone (loud and throaty) to it where as the GS would have the much more hollow luxurious sound but still throaty.
Fix the links and I'll see if I can tell the difference.
Argh... I didn't test it with IE. Right click and save-as.. It's a wma file and the server doesn't know that extension. I'll fix it tonight.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We have a winnah
Old 07-24-06, 02:37 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing the clip.

Yea that would've been my guess. Like I said throaty loud (Marauder) if that is an S/C that is a loud S/C it's hard to hear over it.
Old 07-24-06, 02:56 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

What's funny is that somehow the camcorder doesn't do justice to either the low end of the rumble the marauder produces or the L-tuned exhaust. It is all overpowered by the S/C frequencies.

It doesn't sound like that in real life and is certainly much quieter in the cabin, right cHiTwNGS43?
Old 07-24-06, 03:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
What's funny is that somehow the camcorder doesn't do justice to either the low end of the rumble the marauder produces or the L-tuned exhaust. It is all overpowered by the S/C frequencies.

It doesn't sound like that in real life and is certainly much quieter in the cabin, right cHiTwNGS43?
Can you explain the differences when they are both under WOT? How do they sound at speed? Thanks

Old 07-25-06, 07:12 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Can you explain the differences when they are both under WOT? How do they sound at speed? Thanks
I'm not the greatest with describing sound, though I know what I like when I hear it, but basically the bigger V8 rumbles more at low speed. As the revs come up the Marauder starts to roar but then flattens out around 4K RPM and stays that way without a tone change but slight volume increase to redline. The Lexus is softer in tone at low revs but builds up to more of a turbine like whine getting with the S/C forcing the exhaust louder and higher in pitch as the revs shoot to redline.

I've been told that both cars sound deeper from outside the car and I know the Lexus woofs at startup, just not as growly a woof as the Marauder. I haven't been outside to listen to a fly-by of either of my vehicles. HTH