Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Moving beyond Lexus: 4-dr Manual Car Market

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 11:11 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving beyond Lexus: 4-dr Manual Car Market

If you've checked out the classified section, you might have noticed that my car's on sale (pics will be up soon btw). I'm starting to commute to work by train now, so I figure it's a great time to pick up a 5-speed car. I know it's a very small market niche, so I'm curious to see what everyone's advice would be.

I'm looking for a 2000+ 4dr 5-speed sedan/hatch under $15k (most likely won't spend that much but just to keep things interesting). I've only come up with 2 so far.

1. Nissan SE-R or plain old Sentra - sat in an auto '03 SE yesterday and it doesn't have anything on the Lex in all aspects, but I guess that's the tradeoff I'll be looking at. =(
2. Subaru RS
3. ???
Old 07-18-06, 11:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by no2faber
If you've checked out the classified section, you might have noticed that my car's on sale (pics will be up soon btw). I'm starting to commute to work by train now, so I figure it's a great time to pick up a 5-speed car. I know it's a very small market niche, so I'm curious to see what everyone's advice would be.

I'm looking for a 2000+ 4dr 5-speed sedan/hatch under $15k (most likely won't spend that much but just to keep things interesting). I've only come up with 2 so far.

1. Nissan SE-R or plain old Sentra - sat in an auto '03 SE yesterday and it doesn't have anything on the Lex in all aspects, but I guess that's the tradeoff I'll be looking at. =(
2. Subaru RS
3. ???

3. IS300 5 speed
Old 07-18-06, 11:58 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
3. IS300 5 speed

bingo...is what i would buy

other good options are

1) the bug eye wrx impreza
2) 00+ 6-speed maxima (vq motor is very reliable/good on gas),
3) 99+ infiniti g20t or sport--comes in 5-speed, well under 15000, fun car to drive (a little luxury also)--4cyl motor..
4) the sentra spec-v is a nice choice decent power/price/gas--6-speed also
5) mazdaspeed protege or mazda3 both are very nice--somemazdaspeed
have boost package some dont but definitely a great car
Old 07-18-06, 12:59 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Acura CL-S... you can sometimes find these with their fabulous 6-speed manual!
Old 07-18-06, 02:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Acura CL-S... you can sometimes find these with their fabulous 6-speed manual!
Acura CL is a coupe, and I don't think the last gen CL came with manual. It was a 5 speed auto, very unreliable.
Old 07-18-06, 03:03 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Acura CL is a coupe, and I don't think the last gen CL came with manual. It was a 5 speed auto, very unreliable.

the 6spd coupe is out there, just hard to find
Old 07-18-06, 05:56 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
My bad, I forgot about the four door part...

But indeed, it was available 6-speed! Cool car!

"L.A. Auto Show

2003 Acura 3.2 CL Type S adds new 6-Speed manual transmission

Los Angeles, California - In March, 2002, the Acura 2003 3.2 CL Type S will offer an all-new, close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission to complement its powerful 6-cylinder VTEC engine and high performance chassis. In addition, the 2003 3.2 CL features more aggressive styling and an array of interior enhancements including an optional OnStar communications service. "
Attached Thumbnails Moving beyond Lexus: 4-dr Manual Car Market-cl_s_dash.jpg  
Old 07-18-06, 07:37 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
3. IS300 5 speed
Not for $15K or under.
Old 07-19-06, 12:35 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

pick up a 2GS3 and do a tranny conversion.
Old 07-19-06, 06:33 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Default Still a short list

Yeah. Still sounds like slim pickings to me so far. I mean if you bring in a tranny swap, then your options open up a lot more, but I'm not getting this as a project car.

My roomate' s got an 5-speed 01 RS and I drove around in my friend's rented sentra yesterday. If the choice was between the sentra and RS, I would get the RS (still gotta check prices for the mazda's...thanks for the input). The sentra rides harsh (not in the nice controlled way), responds slow both in terms of the engine and turning, and is not quite a looker.

I havne't driven my roomate's subaru in a long time, but my overall impression was a lot more positive than the sentra. I may have a bias b/c I wasn't actually considering to buy one at the time. I like the lights more than the succeeding "bug-eye" lights. The interior of both car's are pretty bad, but then again i'm comparing it with the SC. I know the subaru doesn't even have a light in the trunk.

I personally think this older sentra one looks nicer than the new, maxima-ish front grille that the 04+ rocks.
Attached Thumbnails Moving beyond Lexus: 4-dr Manual Car Market-026076-e.jpg  
Old 07-19-06, 06:33 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Default here's the 04+

not a looker to say the least. pics are loaded from edmunds
Attached Thumbnails Moving beyond Lexus: 4-dr Manual Car Market-04-sentra.jpg  
Old 07-19-06, 09:26 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I ran a search on Autotrader.com for a 2000+ Sedan with a manual tranny and found that you can EASILY pick up a 2004 Corolla for just around $14k. There were some 2002+ Camry's on there as well. Some of the Camry's were close to 30-40K miles (which is basically brand new for a Toyota engine, but whatever).

Here is an example of one of the Camry's for sale (just under $15k)

And here is an example of one of the Corolla's (just under $15k as well, but its a 2K6 Model and has 1600 miles on it )

Food for thought.
Old 07-19-06, 09:30 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by no2faber
Yeah. Still sounds like slim pickings to me so far. I mean if you bring in a tranny swap, then your options open up a lot more, but I'm not getting this as a project car.

My roomate' s got an 5-speed 01 RS and I drove around in my friend's rented sentra yesterday. If the choice was between the sentra and RS, I would get the RS (still gotta check prices for the mazda's...thanks for the input). The sentra rides harsh (not in the nice controlled way), responds slow both in terms of the engine and turning, and is not quite a looker.

I havne't driven my roomate's subaru in a long time, but my overall impression was a lot more positive than the sentra. I may have a bias b/c I wasn't actually considering to buy one at the time. I like the lights more than the succeeding "bug-eye" lights. The interior of both car's are pretty bad, but then again i'm comparing it with the SC. I know the subaru doesn't even have a light in the trunk.

I personally think this older sentra one looks nicer than the new, maxima-ish front grille that the 04+ rocks.
Ok, so you wouldn't need to settle for the "no-*****" version Sentra for under $15k...

2K6 Sentra SE-R Spec V... 8k on the Odo $14K.

I think Autotrader.com just became your new best friend!
Old 08-10-06, 01:17 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Default Matrix

Ok. So lately I've been attracted to the Toyota Matrix. I know I'm going to get a little flak for this (all my housemates have).

It comes in both a 5 sp version (corolla engine) and a 6 sp version (Celica GTS engine). Manuals are rare, but I found one in NY on autotrader which is the 6 sp version (not sure I'm allowed to post links). I called the dealer, and he told me that the car has some modifications--mentioned intake, suspension, muffler. I asked if he had any service records, and he said no.

What are your thoughts? It's only got 40k, and I'm pretty sure I can get it lower, but is it too risky? I don't particularly want a modded car, but I'd like to have the 6 sp version.
Old 08-10-06, 03:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

wait, it will come back. only take the modded car if u can talk the dealer into including an extended warranty in the purchase price.

hmm, how about a mazda 5?

Quick Reply: Moving beyond Lexus: 4-dr Manual Car Market