Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Traded-in My `04

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 07:41 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Traded-in My `04

It was almost an impulse thing; I was not in the market for a car. However, I visited a BMW dealership yesterday and, after a test drive, traded-in my `04 SC430 for an `05 (Certified) 645ci. At least five customers at the dealership who, apparently, had been admiring my SC asked me why I was going to the Black Forest. As best I can tell, it was a power thing. I told them that the SC was a wonderful car (which it is). Not to say that the SC is under-powered, but the 645ci has tremendous power plus some nice amenities.

I'll continue to visit this forum and I definitely intend to keep my `04 GX470. In case any of you are wondering what your SCs might be worth, I checked with my credit union before I entered into negotiations and was told that my car, with 11,800 miles, had a resale value of $51K and a trade-in value of $45K. I was able to negotiate a trade-in for $45,800.
Old 07-16-06, 07:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats Is the 645ci you got a coupe or the convertible ?
Old 07-16-06, 07:50 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Congrats Is the 645ci you got a coupe or the convertible ?
The convertible of course! Brilliant Black, charcoal interior, black top. I'm having a clear bra installed this Friday; won't drive it too much until then.
Old 07-16-06, 09:38 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats. Wish you the best in your new ride. I know what you mean, I almost did the same last week for a AMG E55, but gave it some serious thought about owning something German again. I passed. Plus I realized the only reason for the purchase was the HP. Everything else was sub par compared to the SC.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 07-16-06 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-16-06, 10:06 AM
prex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on the new car - see you back in a SC430 next year
Old 07-17-06, 09:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah nice car, so are you going to trade it in for the 650i soon? it's even a better car from what i read
Old 07-17-06, 10:18 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

very nice! i love the 6 series as well. make sure to post pics when you get a chance
Old 07-17-06, 04:03 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover
very nice! i love the 6 series as well. make sure to post pics when you get a chance
Will do. I'm having a clear bra installed on Thursday p.m., and will take some photos on Friday. Thanks also for all of the positive responses and support. By the way, it's now official - I signed-over the title to the SC430 this afternoon.
Old 07-18-06, 09:03 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

i'm a bit bitter to be honest. I don't even know who you are anymore...
Old 07-18-06, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
i'm a bit bitter to be honest. I don't even know who you are anymore...
haha come on, love here the 6 series is a nice car, though personally i like the 650 a tad more (of course, m6 wins all)
Old 07-18-06, 12:23 PM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

This sort of freaked me out since I'm sort of in the same boat for a couple of reasons. We currently have both a 2002 SC430 and a 2005 BMW 645 coupe. They really are totally different cars and unfair to compare them to each other. The Lexus is more luxury and the BMW is more handling and power (would it kill the Germans to put some padding in an armrest??). The 645 has more torque and the engine sounds incredible while the Lexus is quiet but still gets where you are going relatively fast too. I don't think anyone compares to the BMW's when it comes to handling just as I don't think anyone compares to Lexus when it comes to luxury. It all boils down to what you want from a car.

The funny thing is that I'm considering trading in the '05 645 coupe for a '06 650 convertible. As obviously everyone in the forum knows, there is nothing like a convertible to forget your troubles. The 645 was already fast, but the 650 is even better with 30 more horsepower. I can't imagine what the M must be like!
Old 07-18-06, 12:27 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bubba
This sort of freaked me out since I'm sort of in the same boat for a couple of reasons. We currently have both a 2002 SC430 and a 2005 BMW 645 coupe. They really are totally different cars and unfair to compare them to each other. The Lexus is more luxury and the BMW is more handling and power (would it kill the Germans to put some padding in an armrest??). The 645 has more torque and the engine sounds incredible while the Lexus is quiet but still gets where you are going relatively fast too. I don't think anyone compares to the BMW's when it comes to handling just as I don't think anyone compares to Lexus when it comes to luxury. It all boils down to what you want from a car.

The funny thing is that I'm considering trading in the '05 645 coupe for a '06 650 convertible. As obviously everyone in the forum knows, there is nothing like a convertible to forget your troubles. The 645 was already fast, but the 650 is even better with 30 more horsepower. I can't imagine what the M must be like!
Not to mention that the convertible top on the 645/650 can be raised/lowered remotely from the key!
Old 07-18-06, 01:22 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Not to mention that the convertible top on the 645/650 can be raised/lowered remotely from the key!
Really? I didn't know that. Does it use IR or RF & do you have to hold down the button the whole time like the 2nd gen. SLK?
Old 07-18-06, 02:49 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yeah!
Really? I didn't know that. Does it use IR or RF & do you have to hold down the button the whole time like the 2nd gen. SLK?
Can't speak to the "IR" vs. "RF" thing but, yes, you have to hold down the button on the key to remorely operate the top. Also has Bluetooth (tried that for the first time last night: really cool!); the Bluetooth downloaded the address book from my SLVR and all I need do is activate the voice command from the steering wheel and say "dial __". I-Drive is as daunting as has been said, though. Lexus' navigation system is eons better in my opinion.
Old 07-18-06, 04:22 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Can't speak to the "IR" vs. "RF" thing but, yes, you have to hold down the button on the key to remorely operate the top. Also has Bluetooth (tried that for the first time last night: really cool!); the Bluetooth downloaded the address book from my SLVR and all I need do is activate the voice command from the steering wheel and say "dial __". I-Drive is as daunting as has been said, though. Lexus' navigation system is eons better in my opinion.
IR = Infra Red
RF = Radio Frequency

As in, IR you have to point to the receiver on the door handle like on the MB SLK. RF as in, you don't have to point to it. Enjoy the drive!

Quick Reply: Traded-in My `04