Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car broken in

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 08:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Car broken in

I can't believe it but my G35 got broken into tonight. I was away cleaning the SC for the meet tomorrow. Pulling into the parking lot, my neighbor flagged me down with the bad news. He saw the kid jump over the fence of our condo complex. It had just happened. The window was smashed and glass was every where. My neighbor saw which way the kid took off. I was tempted to get my gun and hunt him down. I remembered years ago my bike was stolen. I went hunting and caught the wrong guy. I ran the guy over, jacked him up, put the gun to his head and it wasn't my bike. I didn't want to make another mistake. I used to have a temper and I'm over that. Intead, I called the cops. They caught the guy. They didn't arrest him because my neighbor was only 90% sure it was the guy. The cops said they needed 100% ID. On Monday, they'll match the prints from my car to that kid and will arrest him if there is a match.
I have lived in this gated condo complex 12 years with no problems. Usually, our security patrols all night. Tonight however, our security company was being replaced by a new company. The outgoing company did not patrol and they let anyone through the gate. Pisses me off.
Old 07-14-06, 08:57 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn reggie, you just got that thing!! Anything stolen?
Old 07-14-06, 09:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i think you could pursue the security company for damages if the cops dont catch the kid who did it. it comes down to them being liable for letting someone in when they were technically still on the job. not 100% on it tho.
Old 07-14-06, 09:05 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

That suck *** Reg, been there and know how it feels, hope the damage was minor.
Old 07-15-06, 02:56 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

What really trips me out is theves usually look in the car, if they see something interesting, then they break the window. I didn't have anything to steal. Stupid kid din't even take the change I had in the center armrest console. He took nothing and I get a 300 dollar repair bill. Does insurance cover this type of thing? Wait, my deductible is 500...guess that won't help. I'm just pissed.
Old 07-15-06, 06:27 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man that sux reggie sorry to hear that i hate thievs
Old 07-15-06, 07:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope the repairs go OK.

I agree with PureDrifter. If the kid is not caught, the security company may be legally be at fault here, or maybe the building's owner if the break-in happened in-between security companies....it is his job to provide coverage for the building and the lot. Your insurance company will cover it in the short haul, if you have comprehensive coverage on your policy, which covers break-in and theft. If you don't have comprehensive coverage ( most likely you do ) then of course you will have to pay for repairs and then go after either the security company or the building's owner in small claims court. ( Just avoid Judge Judy....she is obnoxious ).

Good Luck
Old 07-15-06, 09:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope the repairs go OK.

I agree with PureDrifter. If the kid is not caught, the security company may be legally be at fault here, or maybe the building's owner if the break-in happened in-between security companies....it is his job to provide coverage for the building and the lot. Your insurance company will cover it in the short haul, if you have comprehensive coverage on your policy, which covers break-in and theft. If you don't have comprehensive coverage ( most likely you do ) then of course you will have to pay for repairs and then go after either the security company or the building's owner in small claims court. ( Just avoid Judge Judy....she is obnoxious ).

Good Luck
Haha......yeah, that Judge Judy is a trip. I don't know why someone hasn't given her a piece of their mind.
Thanks for the support everyone. The window is repaired. I can't believe how much glass was everywhere. Seems to be a good repair. After it was done I tried to write a check but they don't take them. The guy took me all over town looking for an atm that wasn't down. I finally told the guy to go to my crdit union because they're hardly ever down, even when the others are. Long drive but it paid off as the machine worked. It was just that last bit of stress from an already stressful situation. After I rode off, I automatically calmed down. I felt my body cool down. I just felt vulnerable with no window. Now, it's all good (are the kids still saying that?).
Old 07-15-06, 09:48 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't you feel incredibly violated when someone does you wrong like that? I just feel like "What the hell did i ever do to you?" For the most part, i dont lose my cool too often, but stuff like that inconveniences me horribly to have to go get stuff repaired and deal with legalities and such. I hope the cops catch the kid. Then I hope they give you some alone time with him in a cell.
Old 07-15-06, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by reggiek
Thanks for the support everyone. The window is repaired. I can't believe how much glass was everywhere. Seems to be a good repair. After it was done I tried to write a check but they don't take them. .
Why did you have to pay for it? Insurance didn't cover it? Some people avoid making claims because they don't want their rates to go up, but by law, individual comprehensive claims like vandalism and theft do not affect rates unless they really get often and extreme. It's not like a chargeable accident or moving violation.
Old 07-15-06, 11:38 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why did you have to pay for it? Insurance didn't cover it? Some people avoid making claims because they don't want their rates to go up, but by law, individual comprehensive claims like vandalism and theft do not affect rates unless they really get often and extreme. It's not like a chargeable accident or moving violation.
First of all, I wanted it fixed right away. As another poster said above, I felt violated and also vulnerable. I wanted the car back whole again....not waiting for insurance processes to get going. Second, I don't believe insurances in Florida pay for side windows. Some cover windshield but only allstate covers all window glass in a car. I don't have Allstate. After I get the police report on Monday, I'll check with my insurance agent for coverage. I do have full coverage with a reputable company and there may be hope. I can also try connecting my homeowners insurance. All this takes time. I wanted it fixed now. If I don't get the money back, I won't cry about it. I was planning to hit Borders for a bunch of car mags, several jazz cd's, etc. I'll just hold off on that. Besides, my house is over running with magazines and music cd's as it is. I have hundreds and hundreds of cd's. Some I haven't played in years. I can do without buying more for quite some time. For me, it was worth it to fix it now.
Old 07-15-06, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Gotcha. And with the heavy rains and thunderstorms that FL gets this time of year I guess you didn't want to be driving it around with tape all over the side of the car.

OK.....now it's time to get the little b * * tard that did it.
Old 07-16-06, 12:23 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Question

Just a curiosity question... Do FL laws allow the use of lethal force to protect private and personal property? I know it generally varies state-to-state.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 07-16-06, 03:10 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kermee
Just a curiosity question... Do FL laws allow the use of lethal force to protect private and personal property? I know it generally varies state-to-state.

Cheers,
Kermee
I haven't read up on the laws lately but here's what I remember. In Fl, you can protect your property but only while the perp is on the property. If the guy runs off and you shoot him past your front lawn, you're in trouble. There is a relatively new law giving Fl residents the right to protect themselves with whatever force is necessary if you feel your life is in jeopardy. This was implemented by Gov Bush and is similar to laws in Texas.
Old 07-16-06, 04:15 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I haven't read up on the laws lately but here's what I remember. In Fl, you can protect your property but only while the perp is on the property. If the guy runs off and you shoot him past your front lawn, you're in trouble. There is a relatively new law giving Fl residents the right to protect themselves with whatever force is necessary if you feel your life is in jeopardy. This was implemented by Gov Bush and is similar to laws in Texas.
its called the castle doctrine (dont know the exact spelling)

Quick Reply: Car broken in