Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Elantra specs comparison with Corolla and Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 07:03 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Elantra specs comparison with Corolla and Civic

As we all know, this segment is taking off right now. Will the 2007 Elantra be competitive?

2007 Elantra:

Engine: 2.0L with 138 hp, 136 torque
Total Legroom: 78.5 inches
EPA passenger volume: 97.9 cubic feet
Trunk volume: 14.2 cubic feet
Curb weight (auto): 2747 lbs.
MPG (auto): 28/36

2006 Corolla:

Engine: 1.8L with 126 hp, 122 torque
Total legroom: 76.7 inches
EPA passenger volume: 90.3 cubic feet
Trunk volume: 13.5 cubic feet
Curb weight (auto): 2595 lbs.
MPG (auto): 30/38

2006 Civic:

Engine: 1.8L with 140 hp, 128 torque
Total legroom: 76.8 inches
EPA passenger volume: 90.9 cubic feet
Trunk volume: 12.0 cubic feet
Curb weight (auto): 2690 lbs.
MPG (auto): 30/40
Old 07-12-06, 07:07 AM
LexFather

What are the Elantra's dimensions? Is it better packaging or just a bigger car? With the usual aggresive price, it can be another hit.

Old 07-12-06, 07:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good. I was actually pushing a friend earlier this year to get an Elantra compared to the Civic and Corolla as a daily beater. He still took the Corolla.

Toyota really needs to get a new Corolla out there, and keep it relatively cheap...
Old 07-12-06, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What are the Elantra's dimensions? Is it better packaging or just a bigger car? With the usual aggresive price, it can be another hit.
Here's your answers:
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/el...ecs/specs.aspx
Old 07-12-06, 11:55 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Looks good. I was actually pushing a friend earlier this year to get an Elantra compared to the Civic and Corolla as a daily beater. He still took the Corolla.

Toyota really needs to get a new Corolla out there, and keep it relatively cheap...
While I do agree in principle that Toyco needs the next gen Corolla out there sooner than later, their delay and refusal citing strong sales w/ low incentives shows consumers still thinks its a good value.
Old 07-12-06, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
While I do agree in principle that Toyco needs the next gen Corolla out there sooner than later, their delay and refusal citing strong sales w/ low incentives shows consumers still thinks its a good value.
...Well, people ARE buying the current model. That part is correct. What is also surprising is how well the Corolla S is selling. Sporty Corollas traditionally have not done very well in the American market...one reason why the 2-door SR5 model was dropped long ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-12-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 02:06 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i always thought that the corolla was also a pretty good compact econo-luxury-like car because when the LE version is equipped with the leather interior, its pretty nice in that car.
Old 07-12-06, 02:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And it may be a good thing. If the Corolla is selling well, might as well delay the new Corolla and guarantee its reliability. I think they should prevent any problem that may arise, such as the seatbelts for the IS/GS, or the transmission problems with the Camry...
Old 07-12-06, 04:22 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
And it may be a good thing. If the Corolla is selling well, might as well delay the new Corolla and guarantee its reliability. I think they should prevent any problem that may arise, such as the seatbelts for the IS/GS, or the transmission problems with the Camry...
I think you mean issues with first year quality, which is to be expected even for Toyco. I'd like Toyco to really concentrate on the design aspect of it, since they've hit homeruns in look (IMHO) with the new Camry, Avalon, Tacoma, and 07' Tundras. The spyshots on the new Corollas thus far seem way too conservative. Design a 3/4 scale Camry (aka the 540i) a la 3 series, and it will easily be a winner!

I still wonder why folks like the present Corolla so much, especially the S trim as mmarshal noted. I bet next year, we will see the sales downturn start as it is now trumped in price, frugalness, style, and even comparable size by the new Yaris.
Old 07-13-06, 03:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think you mean issues with first year quality, which is to be expected even for Toyco. I'd like Toyco to really concentrate on the design aspect of it, since they've hit homeruns in look (IMHO) with the new Camry, Avalon, Tacoma, and 07' Tundras. The spyshots on the new Corollas thus far seem way too conservative. Design a 3/4 scale Camry (aka the 540i) a la 3 series, and it will easily be a winner!

I still wonder why folks like the present Corolla so much, especially the S trim as mmarshal noted. I bet next year, we will see the sales downturn start as it is now trumped in price, frugalness, style, and even comparable size by the new Yaris.
Corollas rarely if ever suffer from first-model-year problems. They ( and the discontinued identical Geo / Chevy Prizm ) have a long-standing reputation as one of the world's most reliable cars. They are very high on my recommended list for good, inexpensive transportation.

One thing that helps current Corolla sales, besides the availability of sporty S and XRS models, is the wood-trim in the LX....something never available in stock Corollas before. That really helps spunk up the LX interior.
Old 07-13-06, 04:38 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Corollas rarely if ever suffer from first-model-year problems. They ( and the discontinued identical Geo / Chevy Prizm ) have a long-standing reputation as one of the world's most reliable cars. They are very high on my recommended list for good, inexpensive transportation.

One thing that helps current Corolla sales, besides the availability of sporty S and XRS models, is the wood-trim in the LX....something never available in stock Corollas before. That really helps spunk up the LX interior.
I will have to disagree with you there. Maybe I've been spoiled too much by Lexus' wood trims, but the Corollas is ungainly cheap. For that class and model, plastic silver "aluminum brushed" finish trim would be more appropriate IMHO.

In terms of reliability, with the new gen engine and tranny on the horizons, I think you will see some first year teething issues now. Previous generations were more evolutionary in their drive/powertrain...this new gen Corolla is supposedly going to push the envelope more.
Old 07-18-06, 07:54 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those are the specs for the 2006 model. The specs for the 2007 Elantra are on Hyundai's press relations site.
Old 07-18-06, 08:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the current corolla is selling over 40k units a month for the past few months, only surpassed by the camry
Old 07-18-06, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I will have to disagree with you there. Maybe I've been spoiled too much by Lexus' wood trims, but the Corollas is ungainly cheap. For that class and model, plastic silver "aluminum brushed" finish trim would be more appropriate IMHO.
Maybe brushed-metal would be appropriate on the Corolla S and XRS, but the LX is supposed to have a mini-luxury look.......after all, that is where the letters " LX " come from.
Old 07-18-06, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
Those are the specs for the 2006 model. The specs for the 2007 Elantra are on Hyundai's press relations site.
When I posted it, the site looked like it said 2007 specs. I'll take your word for it, though.