Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Mechanic Took a Two-Floor Plunge Down Elevator Shaft in a Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 07:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Porsche Mechanic Took a Two-Floor Plunge Down Elevator Shaft in a Carrera

July 10, 2006

--Picture: Oriental Daily

IMAGINE waiting for the mechanic to drive around with your Porsche only to learn later that your car is now stuck in a lift shaft.

That was what happened to a car-owner in Hong Kong.

A mechanic, who was returning the car after servicing, smashed it through lift doors, sending the sports car crashing two floors down the shaft, reported the South China Morning Post.

The car came to rest on top of the lift on the first floor.

DRIVER SAFE

Firemen rescued the 43-year-old mechanic from the blue 911 Carrera 4S and he was taken to hospital.

'We believe the accident was caused by negligence. The driver stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake,' a police source said.

The accident happened at the Jebsen Porsche Centre Hong Kong on Cheung Sha Wan Road at 1.45pm.

A co-worker alerted the police and firemen, and an ambulance reached the scene soon after.

Firemen opened the lift doors on the second floor and climbed down a ladder to the driver.

'The driver managed to climb out of the car with the help of firemen.

'He complained of pain in his arms,' a fire officer said.

He added that the company's staff members would make arrangements to remove the car from the shaft and call in engineers to check the lift.

According to the police, the mechanic passed a breathalyser test.

The car was bought for about HK$1.2 million (around $154K USD by today's rates) in 2001.

Jebsen and Company, the sole distributor for Porsche cars in Hong Kong, Macau and China, refused to comment on the accident.

'At this stage, we have nothing to say about the incident,' a spokesman said.

source : newpaper.asia1.com
Old 07-11-06, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

damn when i read the news on hk newspaper i was wondering if it would ever made it here, gosh did i think right

too bad.... but i think the car is pretty safe huh? 2 floor jump and the driver walked away and going to recover
Old 07-11-06, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo

DRIVER SAFE

'At this stage, we have nothing to say about the incident,' a spokesman said.
No comment, my a**. They expect us to believe that? Wait till this guy gets out of the hospital and see if they have no comments for HIM.
Old 07-11-06, 02:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

'We believe the accident was caused by negligence. The driver stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake,' a police source said.
That's a great way to put it. I gotta use that one next time I am pulled over.

"officer I made a mistake and put my foot to the floor for the last 5 miles rather than the brake. I was wondering why the car would not slow down!"