Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This is why BMW always has one up on us...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 07:22 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why BMW always has one up on us...

Them tricky german engineers ...Lexus needs to spend a boat load more on R&D to be able to come up with these kinds of cooky-cool ideas...checkitcheckitout.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...l?tw=rss.index

...and before I get flamed by people saying how "useless" this feature is , (1) you don't have a tight garage space; (2) you don't you ever have a problem with door dings from adjacent vehicles in public lots; and (3) to me, it's more about the creativity to dream these things up...the germans are still leading the way here...
Old 07-10-06, 07:25 PM
MattyL147
Driver

thats ************ awesome!!
Old 07-10-06, 07:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Cool!

Too bad once it worms its way into that narrow parking spot you have to blow a hole in the wall of the garage to get back into the car on the driver's side

ps, posts about other car makes go into the car chat forum please
Old 07-10-06, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Them tricky german engineers ...Lexus needs to spend a boat load more on R&D to be able to come up with these kinds of cooky-cool ideas...checkitcheckitout.

...and before I get flamed by people saying how "useless" this feature is , (1) you don't have a tight garage space; (2) you don't you ever have a problem with door dings from adjacent vehicles in public lots; and (3) to me, it's more about the creativity to dream these things up...the germans are still leading the way here...
The LS 460 will park itself while your still INSIDE the car so both companies have similar technologies

Old 07-10-06, 07:44 PM
Tuxlex
Driver

Well this is not new. Lexus already has this as an option on their new LS600h
that will be available soon. Actualy, Lexus is ahead of BMW beause BMW
will not have this feature available for another three years.
The Lexus system will use the backup camera to parallel park the car and
turn the steering wheel automaticaly with the push of a button.

Here is an Edmonds blurb on it:

The LS 600h L is also capable of taking the reins when it's time for city parking. An advanced parallel-park-assist function parks the car at the push of a button, requiring just a little brake work from the driver.
Old 07-10-06, 07:47 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have automatic winshield wipers beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch!

Haven't you heard of the accident avoidance system on the new 600hL? Now THAT is slick!
Old 07-10-06, 07:49 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I still wouldn't trust a robot parking for me.
Old 07-10-06, 07:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Thats pretty cool, but if the spot is so tight that you have to get out b4 you park, then common sense should tell you not to park there.

Its nice to say that you have such a feature I guess.
Old 07-10-06, 08:03 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I thought the Japanese market Prius has a similar function couple years ago.
Old 07-10-06, 08:08 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by magneto112
Thats pretty cool, but if the spot is so tight that you have to get out b4 you park, then common sense should tell you not to park there.

It would be nice if the car will also back out for you.
Old 07-10-06, 08:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperLexy

The article doesn't mention much, but it looks like from the video you can only park straight ahead.

First off, Toyota has already had a self-parking system since 2003 on the Prius. Yes, the driver needs to be there, but the car can park itself in a variety of ways. I'm not so sure how flexible this BMW system is.

Besides, this won't be available for three years, where by then Toyota might have an upper hand with an even better self-park system. I also don't need to mention all the other advances and world firsts Toyota has over BMW.

It would be wise to do more research before making all such sort of posts.
Old 07-10-06, 08:32 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Cool!

Too bad once it worms its way into that narrow parking spot you have to blow a hole in the wall of the garage to get back into the car on the driver's side
Hmmm...I don't know why it didn't mention it, but in the below linking article it does assume being able to back out automatically, as well...yes, that would be totally useless if it was only one-way.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/10/f...n-your-garage/
Old 07-10-06, 08:34 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The LS 460 will park itself while your still INSIDE the car so both companies have similar technologies
Yes, the article does mention that Mercedes and Lexus have similar technologies, but one has to remain in the vehicle. The entire purpose of being able to do it with a remote control (i.e. outside the vehicle) is so that you don't have to open the doors and ding the car next to you (or be dinged, for that matter)...
Old 07-10-06, 08:38 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is the "end all" of parking solutions, but the point is probably that this kind of technology can potentially revolutionize how cars are parked. In a public parking lot, transportation architects can create more car spaces by placing them closer to each other.

If everyone adopts this technology, then it may very well put an end to door dinging...now THAT would be a novell idea, if you ask me.

Then there's the obvious application, as per the video itself...parking in tight garage at your house...I don't know about you, but I live in SoCal, and my garage is not as wide or long as my garage was on the East Coast (space is at a premium around here). Being able to park closer to my other vehicle without scratching it or having to go through the arduous process of getting in/out in the tight space would be a welcome change for me...

My $.02...
Old 07-10-06, 08:39 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by sab504
It would be nice if the car will also back out for you.
This article assumes it does...I would have to agree, or it would make the technology totally useless, in my opinion...otherwise, how you would get back in? I suppose you could leave your sunroof open and climb in that way...
http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/10/f...n-your-garage/

Quick Reply: This is why BMW always has one up on us...