Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Danica Patrick Switching to NASCAR ? ( UPDATE - No NASCAR for Danica }

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 11:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Danica Patrick Switching to NASCAR ? ( UPDATE - No NASCAR for Danica }

Report: Danica's family talking to NASCAR teams
ESPN.com news services

Barry Taylor/WireImage.com
Danica Patrick's father says she could be leaving IRL for NASCAR as soon as next season.

JOLIET, Ill. -- Danica Patrick's father is exploring the possibility of the popular Indy Racing League driver moving to NASCAR as soon as next year, the Orlando Sentinel reported Monday.

The Sentinel reported that T.J. Patrick, who has managed Danica Patrick's career since childhood, was in exploratory talks with some NASCAR teams at Chicagoland Speedway on Sunday.

"I'm trying to get her here [into NASCAR]," T.J. Patrick told the Sentinel.

T.J. and Bev Patrick, who formerly lived in Roscoe, Ill., attended NASCAR's USG Sheetrock 400 because "we've had some inquiries" from NASCAR teams, T.J. Patrick told the newspaper.

The Sentinel reported the couple was in the Nextel Cup garage area as guests of Roush Racing, which fields drivers Mark Martin, Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle and Jamie McMurray and runs Fords on the Nextel Cup circuit.

Danica Patrick's contract with Rahal-Letterman Racing team ends after this season and the Patricks are negotiating with other IRL teams as well as NASCAR teams, the Sentinel reported. The newspaper said team co-owner Bobby Rahal declined comment through a spokesman.

Patrick, who became IRL's most recognizable driver by leading part of the 2005 Indianapolis 500 and finishing fourth, has yet to enjoy similar success in 2006, as Rahal-Letterman has endured a frustrating season.

Rahal-Letterman, which enjoyed a power advantage by running Honda engines in 2005, lost that advantage when the entire league shifted to Hondas for 2006. It was the last team to use a Panoz chassis and struggled to adjust when it finally switched to a Dallara, used by every other team in IRL, after the Indy 500. And the team lost one of its drivers when Paul Dana was killed during practice before the IRL's season-opening race in Homestead, Fla.

source : espn
Old 07-10-06, 12:01 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be one hell of a boost for Nascar... considering this... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...11#post1999811
Old 07-10-06, 02:38 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

i guess if you can't compete with the big boys.. you've gotto join the sissies
Old 07-10-06, 05:40 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

I don't think this is a good move for her. I've read a lot of articles on this the last couple of days and it seem as though she's (read, her father) is casing the money. There are a lot more "very good" drivers in nascar than there are in the Indy car league. She will have trouble cracking the top 30, especially if she goes to a mid-level team, imho.
Old 07-10-06, 05:49 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see her and Montoya wrecking everyone...............
Old 07-10-06, 06:29 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trent
hater........
Old 07-10-06, 08:49 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure NASCAR will pick up a lot more viewers as well once Toyota comes onboard with their Camry in a couple of years.

I'm sure once Toyota's on board, it won't be too long until Honda follow suit.
Old 07-11-06, 04:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
Can't compete?........she could probably dust you right off the track.

She did pretty well her first time out. The Indy Speedway, BTW, is not like F1 road courses....like NASCAR, they get out on the track and RACE.
NASCAR, BTW, could use some women in its ranks.....see my comments in the Juan Montoya thread.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-11-06 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-11-06, 05:09 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecr527
I'm sure NASCAR will pick up a lot more viewers as well once Toyota comes onboard with their Camry in a couple of years.

I'm sure once Toyota's on board, it won't be too long until Honda follow suit.
I thought that this started next season?
CV
Old 07-11-06, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trent
Neither one could probably hold a candle to Tony Stewart when it comes to ramming people. He completely disgusts me.....the only driver in NASCAR to really do so.
Old 07-11-06, 05:21 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newr
Oh gosh...not another anti-NASCAR thread.

How many times do we have to go over this? NASCAR is NOT an easy sport and it is not more or less difficult than any other racing series. It is simply a different set of dynamics.
Old 07-12-06, 04:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drink300
Oh gosh...not another anti-NASCAR thread.

How many times do we have to go over this? NASCAR is NOT an easy sport and it is not more or less difficult than any other racing series. It is simply a different set of dynamics.

I'm with you 100% on this one, drink. The jokes about monkeys driving around all day in left-hand turns are inaccurate. Just try keeping your car under control in the aerodynamics of three and four cars abreast in the banks......and jerks bumping into you from behind trying to make you and a dozen other cars all spin out at once. It is a JOB.
Old 07-12-06, 12:50 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

It's getting bussy with big names in Nascar
Old 07-18-06, 06:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

No NASCAR for Danica . . . . . .
We've seen this coming, but you heard it CONFIRMED here first. We just received a tip--from an unimpeachable source--that Danica is officially leaving Rahal Letterman Racing at the end of the season. We're told there was a multimillion dollar offer from RLR on Thursday which Team Danica rejected on Friday. This explains perfectly the timing of TJ's NASCAR media stunt. Leverage, as predicted. More to come...UPDATE: Same source indicates that while there is no done deal yet, it's looking like the rumors about Danica joining Andretti-Green for the 2007 season may well end up playing out...will an announcement of some sort come tomorrow so as to rain on Penske's White House parade? Stay tuned!

source HERE