Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

American driving standards versus Europe

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-06, 03:03 PM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default American driving standards versus Europe

Ok guys, no offence here, but I was considering moving to the US for a few years to work and my recent trip has left me feeling disappointed when it comes to driving in the States, when compared with driving in Europe.

I was in North Carolina, Virginia and DC.

Essentially, the major differences I noticed compared to Europe were:
1. Hardly anyone moved over from the passing lane, even when they could see that I'm moving up close at high speed behind them. Some folks only moved over if I drove about 1 inch away from their bumper, and even then they took minutes to decide whether to move over or not
Had to undertake a lot of the time.
2. Got stopped by a state trooper in VA for doing 85 in a 65, he let me go with a verbal warning and tried to scare me by saying that my licence plate was going to every single trooper in VA that night, and if I got caught again, I'd be going straight to jail (was he telling me BS?)
3. Trucks would pull out into the passing lane at 65, and would not really move past the other truck in the right lane that was also doing 65
4. Generally, traffic drove much slower on interstates than Europe despite the roads being wider and straighter in the US, and cars much more suited to cruising

I was told by a local guy that the reason for poor lane discipline is that usually folks set their cruise control and don't like to touch the gas pedal, so they end up taking 5 minutes to pass the slower vehicle.

Contrast this with my experience in the UK and Europe, where
a) in the UK the limit is 70 on the motorway, in france it's 80, but generally police don't bother unless you are going past 90-95. Most people cruise along at 80-90, even in their 1.0 litre supermini cars
b) UK roads are smaller and much more congested but folks drive fast
c) Generally, if you are putting pedal to the metal in the passing lane, most folks pass back over very quickly, especially in Germany
d) Cruise control is hardly used due to congestion

I guess it varies from state to state in the US. It was funny in NC to see car drivers tailgating the sheriff's car, so he moved over!!!

I didn't really enjoy driving in the States, despite having a Cadillac SRX rental, as it was tough to get a clear stretch of road to floor it!
Old 07-07-06, 03:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Come to Mexico, you can enjoy the roads all you want.
Old 07-07-06, 03:19 PM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Mexico it's gonna be then, bro!
Old 07-07-06, 03:33 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya on points 1, 3 and 4... As far as #2 is concerned, well, you WERE speeding and the trooper was doing his job.
Old 07-07-06, 04:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brit_lex
Ok guys, no offence here, but I was considering moving to the US for a few years to work and my recent trip has left me feeling disappointed when it comes to driving in the States, when compared with driving in Europe.

1. Hardly anyone moved over from the passing lane, even when they could see that I'm moving up close at high speed behind them. Some folks only moved over if I drove about 1 inch away from their bumper, and even then they took minutes to decide whether to move over or not
Yep, unfortunately this is the case in most states. People here simply aren't educated about passing lanes, and while it is illegal to stay in the left lane, most people simply do not know that. Another thing is generally the right and the middle lanes are doing the speed limit, because of the trucks, so if you wanna travel above the speed limit you will have to constantly change into the left lane and back to the middle lane - so most people just stay in the middle lane. I am guilty of that too, I usually set my cruize to 75mph and stay in the left, but I move over when someone approaches me at a higher rate of speed.

2. Got stopped by a state trooper in VA for doing 85 in a 65, he let me go with a verbal warning and tried to scare me by saying that my licence plate was going to every single trooper in VA that night, and if I got caught again, I'd be going straight to jail (was he telling me BS?)
He was just doing his job, and yeah, he could've given your plates to all other troopers that were on duty, and if you got caught they could make you spend a night in jail.

3. Trucks would pull out into the passing lane at 65, and would not really move past the other truck in the right lane that was also doing 65
The problem with truckers is their speed is mechanically governed at 68mph (most commercial trucks), and if the speed limit is 65, they physically can't make passes any quicker.

4. Generally, traffic drove much slower on interstates than Europe despite the roads being wider and straighter in the US, and cars much more suited to cruising
Blame the speed limits and pood driving education/tests. I'm sure speed limits in Europe are higher, and drivers are better on average, but USA has its advantages too. We have better roads than most Europe, relatively cheap gas, and we have nice big V8 cars.
Old 07-07-06, 05:40 PM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramon
I hear ya on points 1, 3 and 4... As far as #2 is concerned, well, you WERE speeding and the trooper was doing his job.
I acknowledge I was breaking the law. I was merely trying to make a point that going 20mph over the limit in Europe is almost "socially acceptable" since virtually everyone is doing 85-90 as a highway speed, compared to attitudes in the USA. I've cruised all over UK and Europe sometimes at 100-110mph and never had a problem. Life seems a bit more liberal over here, not just in driving but drinking etc. too. I take it for granted that in England we can drink alcohol in a public place or on a bus or on the metro or even as a passenger within a car!
Old 07-07-06, 07:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Having grown up in the UK (and going back every couple of years) but now having lived in several places in the U.S. I can tell you brit_lex that everything you said is true.

You learn to adjust. For example, while probably not legal, many people just pass the slow idiot in the left lane by going into the right lane temporarily.

About speed in general, yes UK motorways, go 90 for ever, knock yourself out. Do that in the U.S. and you're going to get tickets. On the up side though, most of the U.S. doesn't have the BS speed cameras you have everywhere in the UK. Plus radar detectors are legal here in all but a couple of fascist states. Don't leave home without one.
Old 07-07-06, 11:12 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
lol unless you get pulled over by the mexican police...

then they try to shake you down for $$$
Old 07-07-06, 11:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I've honestly never thought about moving to the next lane when someone approaches me. I can't think and drive that way. Instead, the US is opposite. Instead of moving over the driver behind us, they just change lanes and get ahead of us.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

MUAHAH
Old 07-07-06, 11:59 PM
faulks2
Driver

You should feel fortunate that you werent in Ohio.....that state trooper would have had you pulling away with a ticket for every little violation he could find.......the troopers here are complete *******s. I've come to the conclusion at this point, that Ohio does not have any other criminal activity going down other than speeding, no safety belt, loud exhaust, no front plate, ride height violation, etc. Apparently all of the murders, drug dealings, spousal abuses, and other "real crimes" take place outside of the Ohio state line. I feel soooo safe knowing this though
Old 07-09-06, 09:50 AM
LexFather

I was told by a local guy that the reason for poor lane discipline is that usually folks set their cruise control and don't like to touch the gas pedal, so they end up taking 5 minutes to pass the slower vehicle.

Contrast this with my experience in the UK and Europe, where
a) in the UK the limit is 70 on the motorway, in france it's 80, but generally police don't bother unless you are going past 90-95. Most people cruise along at 80-90, even in their 1.0 litre supermini cars
b) UK roads are smaller and much more congested but folks drive fast
c) Generally, if you are putting pedal to the metal in the passing lane, most folks pass back over very quickly, especially in Germany
d) Cruise control is hardly used due to congestion

I guess it varies from state to state in the US. It was funny in NC to see car drivers tailgating the sheriff's car, so he moved over!!!

I didn't really enjoy driving in the States, despite having a Cadillac SRX rental, as it was tough to get a clear stretch of road to floor it!

Where did you get the Caddy SRX rental at?

Old 07-09-06, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Roads or " Roads " ?
Old 07-09-06, 10:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

He wasn't kidding. Ten seconds on his radio and every trooper in the state has got your number.....and the VIN on your car tracked by registration, so if you try to beat the system by switching plates, they will catch that, too.

If you come to VA, just don't speed. It's that simple. It is one of bit's so-called "facist " states that also bans radar detectors.
Old 07-09-06, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by faulks2
You should feel fortunate that you werent in Ohio.....that state trooper would have had you pulling away with a ticket for every little violation he could find.......the troopers here are complete *******s. I've come to the conclusion at this point, that Ohio does not have any other criminal activity going down other than speeding, no safety belt, loud exhaust, no front plate, ride height violation, etc. Apparently all of the murders, drug dealings, spousal abuses, and other "real crimes" take place outside of the Ohio state line. I feel soooo safe knowing this though
Ohio has always been tough. I have been to the state many times...I have relatives there. They are especially hard on 18-wheelers because of the enormous damage they can do if they go out of control. I saw one whiz by me on the Ohio Turnpike near Akron....only to get nailed by a Trooper less than a mile later.
Unlike DC, CT, and VA, though, OH does not outlaw radar detectors.
Old 07-09-06, 11:25 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I've honestly never thought about moving to the next lane when someone approaches me. I can't think and drive that way. Instead, the US is opposite. Instead of moving over the driver behind us, they just change lanes and get ahead of us.

So your one of the millions of US drivers that don't know the rules of the left lane.
If your not doing at least 90, GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!!!

I always have to slam on my brakes because someone is doing the speed limit in
the left lane.

ps. This isn't a personal attack, just an observation of millions of US drivers.

Quick Reply: American driving standards versus Europe