Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me narrow down choices for my next car

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 07:48 AM
MattB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me narrow down choices for my next car

Okay I've got four choices right now and I need some help narrowing it down:

Option 1:
2002 Acura TL Type-S
Pros: fast, handles well
Cons: transmissions suck, interior kind of cheap, timing belt instead of chain

Option 2:
2001-02 Infiniti I30/I35
Pros: inexpensive to buy and maintain, fast with 3.5L engine
Cons: doesn't handle as well as G20, touring package hard to find

Option 3:
2000-01 Lexus ES300
Pros: quiet, extremely reliable
Cons: less power than other choices, uses timing belt instead of chain

Option 4:
2000 Mercedes C280 Sport
Pros: good handling, fun to drive, good power
Cons: sucks in snow, potentially expensive to maintain

Major repair costs are not an issue because no matter what I buy I will be buying an extended warranty. All of them have similar gas mileage. Insurance costs are all pretty reasonable. So now I need your help to narrow this list. Tell me which two of these cars you prefer and why.
Old 07-06-06, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd rate it more or less a tossup between the ES330 and the I30/35. Both are redone versions of less-expensive corporate platforms. The ES is esentially a redone and more plush Camry and the I30/35 is a redone and more plush Maxima.

The ES330 has a superb interior, a smooth, quiet ride ( if you don't screw it up with larger wheels and lower-profile tires ) , excellent fit-and-finish, FWD traction for bad weather, reasonably good handling considering its soft ride and comfort-oriented tires, and of course the Lexus reliability reputation. Check the automatic transmission's shift characteristics before you buy, though...this was a source of owner complaints during the 2001-2003 period.

The I30/35, like the ES, has excellent fit-and-finish ( it dates from the Infiniti period before CEO Carlos Ghosn started the famously cheap interiors and cost-cutting ), FWD traction for foul-weather, a good repair record, good assembly quality, and a well-designed V6. I wouldn't worry too much about the Touring package being hard-to-find. In most cases all Touring packages do is stiffen up the ride and cheapen the interior by taking the wood trim out, without really improving the handling all that much. In everyday driving, I think you will appreciate the comfort of the non-Touring model.

I cannot recommend the C280 even with the extended warranty that you mention.....its repair record is well-below average and it will likely spend time in the shop with electronic and hardware problems, which can be frustrating and inconvienent even if the dealership or Mercedes is picking up the tab for it. You say that repair issues are not a problem, but with this car I think you would eventually change your mind.

The TL is a nice-driving car, but it has road noise, automatic-transmission issues with that model vintage ( 2001-2003 ) , and IMO a not very impressive-looking interior.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-06-06 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-06-06, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

don't think about the tl-s, it has nice engine and fast, but you are buying a bomb on the tranny. do you want me to tell you when i traded in my tl-s only 1 1/2 yr after i bought the car? and the car isn't that well built at all. i owned the car, i know.

i wouldn't buy the mb as well. you are asking for trouble when problems start, which is more than likely. i know more than a few people selling their mb after few yrs (especially when warranty expires) due to the same reason. you won't miss the trips to dealerships

i think you should focus on the infiniti and the lexus. i think both are pretty decent built. you have stated the pros and cons pretty well. i think it should be more about what the car is for. mostly daily driver and comfort? the es300 for me. otherwise the infiniti has slight edge
Old 07-06-06, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for pointing that out, Henry..........he DID say the ES300, not the ES330 like I posted.

With the ES300, an additional factor must be taken into play. MAKE SURE that the car's service history is documented...especially oil changes. This engine ( the 3.0 V6 ) was notorious for gelling and sludge build-up causing major engine damage or replacement if the oil was not changed regularly.
Old 07-06-06, 09:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for pointing that out, Henry..........he DID say the ES300, not the ES330 like I posted.

With the ES300, an additional factor must be taken into play. MAKE SURE that the car's service history is documented...especially oil changes. This engine ( the 3.0 V6 ) was notorious for gelling and sludge build-up causing major engine damage or replacement if the oil was not changed regularly.
lol, i didn't catch your typo there
Old 07-06-06, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, i didn't catch your typo there
Yes, I caught it, but only because of what you posted.
Old 07-09-06, 10:13 AM
LexFather

I'd go with the ES, a proven car. The TL-S is very cheaply built and as Henry stated, the tranny is going to blow.
The I30/35 is a good car, nothing great, but nothing bad, it is discontinued though. This would be my 2nd choice. Its well built, nice interior and the V-6 is more peppy than in the ES.

I would then go with the Benz.

The Acura last.

Old 07-09-06, 01:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

In order I would get:

1. Mercedes C280
2. Infiniti i35 (forget i30 )
3. Lexus ES300
4. Acura TL-S

1. The benz's maintenaince may be expensive, but if anything that is manufactor defect, your warranty should cover it. Do you own fluid/filter changes and the cost to maintain isn't that much more expensive. Where the german takes a dump is when things go wrong, but thats what warranty if for. I would never buy a benz without warranty. That's like signing your mortgage away. The benz is definitely the most fun to drive out of the bunch. I once saw the same benz lowered with some Brabus rims. I use to think they were ugly until i saw that setup. :eek: Now I kind of want one for the weekend

2. I35 255hp/246ftlbs. Need I say more? I had the pleasure of riding in one of these cars. One thing that stood out for me was the interior design. I think it looks elegant and the quality isn't too shabby either. Definitely not a 350z-like quality interior I can tell you that. Though the exterior doesn't look quite as nice as some of the other cars on the list. Maybe it's the headlights, I dont know, but the engine is sweet and the ride is comfortable.

3. The Lexus will probably be the least costly to maintain, and probably the longest lasting car to go withouth having to bring the car in the shop weekly. It's probably not what you call a "fun" car, but it's not marketed that way either. Buy it if you want a reliable, quiet, smooth car. It excels well in each category.

4. Lastly, the TL-S. Very nice car, but that transmission ruined it all. i dont think I need to say much anymore as everyone has pointed out it's flaw already.

In the end, it's your priority that will choose the car. Factor in how long the warranty is, and how long you plan to keep your car.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

MUAHAH
Old 07-09-06, 02:03 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Around the year 1998 Mercedes' reliability went, almost universally among all models, completely down the toilet.

You said repair costs are not an issue - but the hassle associated with an unreliable vehicle can be extensive. Think about it - go out the door to get to work in the morning, car won't start - electrical problem. Now you've got to either rent a car or call a cab. Then you have to get your car towed, make a warranty claim, and - especially w/ Mercedes - who knows how long the car will be in the shop.

I'd get at least a moderately reliable vehicle if I were you - the Mercedes is not such a car. Avoid the C-class, especially that generation, like the plague.

Also avoid the TL-s for the reasons others have already mentioned.

My vote goes to either the I35 or the ES300. Great cars.

I wouldn't say the ES is nicer than the I30 though - I actually think the 2001 Infiniti I30 interior (pictured top) is better than the 2001 Lexus ES300 interior (pictured bottom). But that's just me.

M.
Attached Thumbnails Help me narrow down choices for my next car-interiorcomp.jpg  

Last edited by videcormeum; 07-09-06 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-09-06, 07:14 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

TL Type S.
Old 07-09-06, 08:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MattB
Okay I've got four choices right now and I need some help narrowing it down:

Option 1:
2002 Acura TL Type-S
Pros: fast, handles well
Cons: transmissions suck, interior kind of cheap, timing belt instead of chain
Would defenately be my number one choice if it wasn't for the damn transmission problems. The interior isn't bad, second only to the ES, the Type-S engine is awesome, and the thing revs. Defenately fun to drive, but the transmission kills the deal.

Option 2:
2001-02 Infiniti I30/I35
Pros: inexpensive to buy and maintain, fast with 3.5L engine
Cons: doesn't handle as well as G20, touring package hard to find
Stay away from this POS - this is a rebadged Maxima, but unlike the TL which is a rebadged Accord, and the ES which is a rebadged Camry, that years Maxima were the crappiest generation. This is when Nissans cost cutting was at full throtle, and that years Maximas were the victims. They have a solid beam rear suspension, similar to minivans, cheap interior, crappy paint and just generally poor assembly.

Option 3:
2000-01 Lexus ES300
Pros: quiet, extremely reliable
Cons: less power than other choices, uses timing belt instead of chain
Probably the most practical choice - yeah the power isn't great, yeah it has a timing belt instead of chain, and it's probably most expensive compared to other choices. But it will be reliable, will keep its value, and it's not as slow or such a bad handler as people make it out to be.

Option 4:
2000 Mercedes C280 Sport
Pros: good handling, fun to drive, good power
Cons: sucks in snow, potentially expensive to maintain

Major repair costs are not an issue because no matter what I buy I will be buying an extended warranty. All of them have similar gas mileage. Insurance costs are all pretty reasonable. So now I need your help to narrow this list. Tell me which two of these cars you prefer and why.
Meh, this car was made for people who can't really afford a Mercedes, so they built a POS and slapped MB badge on it. It doesn't have power, it has some torque of the line, but runs out of breath quick. Interior is cheap, materials are crappy, although the assembly is solid - no rattles or squeaks. The handling will be better than all above choices, besides the TL-S, but like you said, it's not going to be great in snow. It will also have a bunch of little glitches, and I'm not sure how many of them will be covered by the warranty

All in all you need to decide for youself whats more important to you. If it's the performance then chose between TL and C280. If you're able to get extended warranty on that tranny, then by all means get the TL. If you're looking for comfort an reliability get the ES.
Old 07-09-06, 10:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The ES300's interior sure looks bland compared to the I30/35. I just can't stand the shift ***** they use in the camry/ES300

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

MUAHAH
Old 07-09-06, 11:02 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

i have an i30 myself... the interior of my 2000 i30 is just as good, if not better than the equivalent year's ES300... just look at the pics posted above. the i35 would be nice, got some good power behind it, better than the ES300. they are both quite reliable cars, it is simply a matter of preference. the acura wouldnt be bad if u could deal with the tranny, but i would steer clear fo the benz.
Old 07-09-06, 11:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
The ES300's interior sure looks bland compared to the I30/35. I just can't stand the shift ***** they use in the camry/ES300

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

MUAHAH
your arguement is it looks bland (interior)......sigh....

Old 07-10-06, 03:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
your arguement is it looks bland (interior)......sigh....
That generation ES had a nice interior, ( nothing wrong with it ) but compared to the superb interior of the 2002 ES330 that replaced it maybe it does look a litle plain. That 2002-2005 ES330 interior is just stunning........it makes a LOT of interiors look bland, even its predecessor.
Unfortunately, as I stated in my review, the new ES330 is somewhat of a step backwards.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-06 at 04:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Help me narrow down choices for my next car