Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SUV crash indents retaining wall on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06, 01:28 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb SUV crash indents retaining wall on freeway

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...DATE/607030381

Old 07-04-06, 01:40 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOAH. Thats crazy man.
Old 07-04-06, 01:51 PM
Yoko
Driver

Dang, thatz crazy.
Old 07-04-06, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You got me on that one, Mike. I can't figure that one out. ...and I'm usually pretty good at reconstructing accidents.

To leave a outline like that on the concrete in relation to the vehicle's position, one of two things would have had to happen. Either the vehicle would have had to have been going sideways into the wall......ruled out by the fact that there are no rubber marks on the pavement leading up to it, which would happen from a vehicle sliding sideways on dry pavement even with stability and traction control on, or it would have to be the imprint fron the intense heat of a vehicle fire, which, from the visible damage, does not seem to have happened. I see a lot of twisted and mangled metal and plasic but no burn marks. Either way, though, that vehicle is obviously totalled.....that is a safe statement.

The article does mention some skid marks but I can't see any in the picture that would explain the vehicle hitting the wall at that angle.

It's possible, though, that the pavement was wet when the accident actually happened and that this pohto was taken later, after the pavement dried.....that is the only thing I can think of and would explain the lack of rubber marks...they usually don't happen when the pavement is wet, even with locked wheels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-04-06 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-04-06, 11:56 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow! That's crazy. The imprint of the SUV is somewhat detailed. The driver was going very fast and it's very sad to hear that the driver died. I wonder if the city will remove the SUV's imprint on that retaining wall...
Old 07-05-06, 12:27 AM
kRonX
Lead Lap

It could be that the SUV swerved out of control and started to flip up in to the air and into the wall.
Old 07-05-06, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kRonX
It could be that the SUV swerved out of control and started to flip up in to the air and into the wall.
You might have something there. While the Lincoln Navigator is pretty wide and stable at the base, it is also quite high and has a high ground clearance, which, like many other SUV's, makes it prone to flipping. But judging from the way the roof is bent and the direction it is bent down, it looks like if it flipped at all, it flipped the other way, not towards the wall.

One thing we can say for sure.......whoever investigates this accident will earn his or her paycheck. Unfortunately the driver, who could shed some light on it, did not survive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-06 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-05-06, 06:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have seen some similar accidents underneath a bridge overpass near my uncle´s and that is very much how they happen according to friends who have shops on the that highway. Accidents usually occur at night with high speed, but this one occurring during the day, wow.
Old 07-05-06, 07:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You got me on that one, Mike. I can't figure that one out. ...and I'm usually pretty good at reconstructing accidents.

To leave a outline like that on the concrete in relation to the vehicle's position, one of two things would have had to happen. Either the vehicle would have had to have been going sideways into the wall......ruled out by the fact that there are no rubber marks on the pavement leading up to it, which would happen from a vehicle sliding sideways on dry pavement even with stability and traction control on, or it would have to be the imprint fron the intense heat of a vehicle fire, which, from the visible damage, does not seem to have happened. I see a lot of twisted and mangled metal and plasic but no burn marks. Either way, though, that vehicle is obviously totalled.....that is a safe statement.

The article does mention some skid marks but I can't see any in the picture that would explain the vehicle hitting the wall at that angle.

It's possible, though, that the pavement was wet when the accident actually happened and that this pohto was taken later, after the pavement dried.....that is the only thing I can think of and would explain the lack of rubber marks...they usually don't happen when the pavement is wet, even with locked wheels.

Yeah, I have NEVER seen anything like that

Old 07-05-06, 08:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

It also said . . .
However the MSP are reporting that skid marks show that the vehicle most likely crashed down onto the freeway from a surface street, possibly Plymouth Road. Ramps from east and westbound I-96 to the southbound Southfield are also closed.
It sure looks like an unusual accident . . .
Old 07-05-06, 10:00 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We had a terrible accident in Houston a few days ago - seems like a 21-year old man was travelling at an estimated 120mph on the service road alongside the Southwest Freeway about dawn, when the crossed the Bellaire intersection, went airborne, and smacked the retaining wall of the underpass - head on.

The resulting mess was almost unrecognizable as a car (the video clearly shows an Acura wheel and a rear door handle). Until the vehicle was pried apart, it was unclear just how many people were on board. Raw video footage HERE. It's not bloody, having been hosed down to extinguish the resulting fire. It's just painful to realize that somewhere in there is what's left of a person.

Old 07-05-06, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

LexArazzo:

It also said . . .

Quote:
However the MSP are reporting that skid marks show that the vehicle most likely crashed down onto the freeway from a surface street, possibly Plymouth Road. Ramps from east and westbound I-96 to the southbound Southfield are also closed.

It sure looks like an unusual accident . . .

Yes, Andrew...I read that. But to me at least, that does not explain how it was the left side and roofline of the Navigator that was much more heavily damaged than the right.
You're right, though.....we can't see what is above the wreck and if there are any overpasses above it. It COULD have flipped one way on an overpass, went over the guard rail, hit the wall in the picture and made those marks, and then flipped back down on the road. I know that is a lot of hypothesis, but it is all I can think of.
Old 07-05-06, 03:08 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Woah !
Old 07-05-06, 07:36 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Wouldn't the SUV rolling (and bouncing) cause this? The last bounce/roll being right into the wall of the freeway and then sliding down. Thoughts?