Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Handy dandy alternative power source

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 01:50 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Handy dandy alternative power source

For older model cars with fewer auxilary power options, I found this to be an excellent alternative for powering a cell phone or PDA, or whatever. Plus it can be used to jumpstart a dead car battery....bonus!

It's a Superex rechargeable compact emergency jumpstarter and mobile power supply. Comes with both AC and DC recharging capabilities.

It was $50 at Wal-mart (probably cheaper in the U.S.) and in addition to being very handy for jumpstarting a dead car battery, it has a 12v (cigarette lighter type) power connector so you can use it to power any 12v device. It will power a cell phone for 20-30 hours on one charge. So, no need to use the car's cig lighter at all...until the Superex needs recharging. Then just plug it into the car's cig lighter and recharge it.....simple!
Or, take the Superex into the house and recharge it with the supplied AC adapter. It even has a light on the front so no need to be fumbling with it in the dark.
A Canadian company makes it and Wal-mart is one of their major retail distributors.
It is small enough to sit out of sight on the floor of the back seat of the car and my Cell phone or PDA's power cord is long enough to reach it from the front seat of the car. I can still use my cup holders and can keep the ashtray closed. No having to dismantle the center console to get the ashtray/cupholder out to make modifications to the existing wiring - in fact, no rewiring to do at all !! When not needed, I just keep it in the trunk for emergencies.
BTW, I have no association with the manufacturer or with Wal-mart.
Just thought I'd share.....

Last edited by Lexucan; 07-03-06 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 02:04 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Good enough to share with the rest of the CL family Moving this to Car Chat.