Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you guys still love me if I bought a...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 06:21 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Aside the storage and cargo situation, I would suggest getting a motorcycle. That long of a commute will be less troublesome on a nice 650cc rocket. Hell, even a 250 cc scooter like the Honda Reflex can go up to 90 mph with 60 mpg efficiency...
Interesting you brought that up because I've been looking at the new Ducati Monster 695...

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 07-03-06, 06:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kermee
Interesting you brought that up because I've been looking at the new Ducati Monster 695...

Cheers,
Kermee
Nice, but that's a gas guzzler though in the realm of motorcycles. It gets about 35-40 mpg...
Old 07-03-06, 10:08 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

How about Honda Fit? It's got good cargo space and paddle shifter even though you can't really go that fast with that car.
Old 07-03-06, 10:31 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
How about Honda Fit? It's got good cargo space and paddle shifter even though you can't really go that fast with that car.
Dealers here are asking $5K over MSRP on the Honda Fit. Like I said in a previous post, about $3K more and I'd be at the base MSRP price of a new Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 07-03-06, 10:38 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

How about the outgoing Nissan Sentra...i'm sure you can get a heck of a deal on those.
Old 07-03-06, 10:57 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Missed your previous post. If a second car, why not getting an used 4 banger that's about 2 to 3 years old. It'll save you so much even more. Since you are being practicle already, why not go all the way. Congratulations on using your left side of the brain
Old 07-03-06, 11:03 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by LexusChris
How about the outgoing Nissan Sentra...i'm sure you can get a heck of a deal on those.
Thought about it. The Sentra Special editions (MSRP: $17,415) were going for $13,299 but there's a subwoofer on the 40 part of the 60/40 fold down. The trunk space is exactly the same as the 2IS. ~13 cu. feet. I tried fitting a Dell 1U Rack server box into it... Doesn't quite work and the wheel well blocks part of the 60.

If cargo wasn't one of the main reasons for a 2nd car, the Sentra would of fit the bill perfectly. It gets excellent gas mileage. Ironically, the Sentra and Versa are coming out of the same plant in Mexico.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 07-03-06, 11:04 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Nice, but that's a gas guzzler though in the realm of motorcycles. It gets about 35-40 mpg...
Oof. Didn't realize that. Any recommendations on top of the Honda Reflex as a "starter" motorcycle? Thanks, PhilipMSPT!

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 07-03-06, 11:09 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Did u sit down and really do the math. Cost of new car+ insurance+ maintenance- gas savings.
Are you going to keep the IS? If you do, just drive the snot outta it since resale won't matter.

The IS already gets tops or tied with BMW tops fuel economy in class.

If your going to get a beater, get a BEATER, not a new car. Get like an old Nissan Sentra or something like that.

I think u just want another car
I did some rough math. Insurance for it is only an additional $409 a year for me (already called up MetLife). I'm not planning to keep the 2IS which is the main reason why I don't want to put too many miles on it. I'm only planning to keep it for 3 years and then we'll see what Lexus has done next!

The IS250 might get great MPG but the IS250 AWD sucks gas especially in the stop-and-go traffic conditions that I deal with Mon-Fri. Those are some hard miles on the engine.

... Part of my rough math also included the fudge factor in having another new car too The Nissan Versa convenience package gives me the keyless start and Bluetooth just like my 2IS. I admit... I'm the techno-geek and I'm curious too about the CVT also and how far it has come along. Nissan claims the first major tune-up isn't due until 105,000 miles on the Versa w/CVT...

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 07-04-06, 01:06 AM
Neo
The One

Dealers here are asking $5K over MSRP on the Honda Fit. Like I said in a previous post, about $3K more and I'd be at the base MSRP price of a new Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Cheers,
Kermee
So Nissan dealers are not marking up the Versa?
Old 07-04-06, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

... . Even took a test-drive in the Fit (5AT w/paddles) and it's fun to drive. However, all the Honda dealers in my area (Seattle) have a "market adj. value" markup close to $5K over MSRP. To give you an idea how bad that is, if I added another $3K to what they were asking for the Fit, I could of bought a base Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Cheers,
Kermee
Nice going if you got to test-drive a Fit. I'm still waiting for the chance to review one here in the DC area...they are hard to get and all pre-sold.

As far as I am concerned, don't worry about buying a non-Lexus product. Many CL members........even moderators like yourself.........have non-Lexus vehicles. I myself have a 2006 Subaru Outback...for my purposes it is the best vehicle on the market.

Though I have not reviewed one or seen one close-up and can't specifically recommend one, I don't see any problems with getting a Versa, though keep in mind, of course, that this vehicle is untested in the American market, and, unlike most Toyota and Honda models, could have teething problems. If you particularly like the Versa, or have a good relationship with your local Nissan dealer, fine, but in my opinion there are other vehicles in this size and price range that are also worth considering...and that have established quality records. A 4-cylinder Front-Wheel-Drive Hyundai Tuscon, for example, IMO would be a good buy...it is fairly economical but has a lot of space to carry things, as you wanted.
Still, even if the Versa turns out to have problems, it is cheap enough car thay you will not have lost a lot of money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-04-06 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-04-06, 11:31 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Neo
So Nissan dealers are not marking up the Versa?
Two of the Nissan dealerships here have said they don't do any type of "market value adjustment". The difference between MSRP and invoice of the Versa is about $800 so if they sell it at MSRP, I'd be fine with it. At the Honda dealerships, even the Civics were being marked up about $1700. Mazda, I was looking at the Mazda3 5-doors, were being marked up $1400 over MSRP, etc. Kind of makes me feel lucky now to get a 2IS in November for MSRP now.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice going if you got to test-drive a Fit. I'm still waiting for the chance to review one here in the DC area...they are hard to get and all pre-sold.

As far as I am concerned, don't worry about buying a non-Lexus product. Many CL members........even moderators like yourself.........have non-Lexus vehicles. I myself have a 2006 Subaru Outback...for my purposes it is the best vehicle on the market.

Though I have not reviewed one or seen one close-up and can't specifically recommend one, I don't see any problems with getting a Versa, though keep in mind, of course, that this vehicle is untested in the American market, and, unlike most Toyota and Honda models, could have teething problems. If you particularly like the Versa, or have a good relationship with your local Nissan dealer, fine, but in my opinion there are other vehicles in this size and price range that are also worth considering...and that have established quality records. A 4-cylinder Front-Wheel-Drive Hyundai Tuscon, for example, IMO would be a good buy...it is fairly economical but has a lot of space to carry things, as you wanted.
Still, even if the Versa turns out to have problems, it is cheap enough car thay you will not have lost a lot of money.
I think the Subaru Outback is one of the best vehicles out on the market today. It's just that the base price of the Outback Sport model's is $19,195 and the 2.5i is I think $24,795. I looked at the Hyundai Tuscon GL and the base starts $18,745 for a 4AT. The Versa with the keyless entry and keyless start and Bluetooth has an MSRP less than $17K, gets better gas mileage and all the room to boot. (Plus, I've never been a fan of how the Tuscon looks.)

But you are correct. I am a bit worried about the build-quality of the Versa as it's coming out of the Mexico plant which is the first year they will be building the Versa (Tiida) but hopefully Nissan won't let me down.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 07-04-06, 12:13 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats cool

or u could import a taiwanese camry that looks totally awesome
Old 07-05-06, 12:29 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
thats cool

or u could import a taiwanese camry that looks totally awesome
wtf...?

lol
Old 07-05-06, 08:19 AM
Neo
The One

Mazda, I was looking at the Mazda3 5-doors, were being marked up $1400 over MSRP, etc. Kind of makes me feel lucky now to get a 2IS in November for MSRP now.
You should REALLY check around. Unless the market has changed drastically, the Mazda3 can be had for at invoice or slightly above (i.e. $100-200). I have seen deals below invoice but it takes some work, coupons, and meeting criteria for discounts. The only reason I can see for the market change is that the Mazda3 is due for a refresh in 07 and inventory is limited. Some dealers will try to liquidate and some will see it as a "limited supply" opportunity to increase pricing.

Quick Reply: Would you guys still love me if I bought a...