Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Mazda Why........

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 03:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Why Mazda Why........

It might be just me but why would mazda boost their new SUV(CX-7) the Mazda 6, well I'm not sure if the Mazda 3 is still boosted. But why not have turbo in the RX-8
Old 06-20-06, 05:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
But why not have turbo in the RX-8
Probably because that Renesis rotary engine sucks up enough of both gas and oil WITHOUT a turbo....and this has been a source of owner complaints. Mazda, like many other manufacturers today, is becoming more fuel-economy conscious....and there are no plans that I know of to do a Rotary hybrid.
Old 06-20-06, 06:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably because that Renesis rotary engine sucks up enough of both gas and oil WITHOUT a turbo....and this has been a source of owner complaints. Mazda, like many other manufacturers today, is becoming more fuel-economy conscious....and there are no plans that I know of to do a Rotary hybrid.
dont forget poor emissions which putting a turbo on wont help
Old 06-20-06, 01:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I think Mazda was going to sell the RX8 in Mexico for instance, but since it could not pass emissions in the largest market, they ended up waiting for the newer version of it to come out.

I still remember seeing them being driven around with demonstrator plates on.
Old 06-20-06, 01:24 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The next car after the mazdaspeed3 is going to be the mazdaspeed rx-8 supposedly its a joint partnership with Vortech. Yes it will be supercharged and supposedly it makes around 350hp. The car is being tested as we speak. There was an article in a magazine with an actual supercharged car that mazda had testing in Irvine CA near its headquarters. They showed the car and its been in development for some time.
Old 06-20-06, 03:21 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saleem
The next car after the mazdaspeed3 is going to be the mazdaspeed rx-8 supposedly its a joint partnership with Vortech. Yes it will be supercharged and supposedly it makes around 350hp. The car is being tested as we speak. There was an article in a magazine with an actual supercharged car that mazda had testing in Irvine CA near its headquarters. They showed the car and its been in development for some time.
Finally. The RX-8's way underpowered IMO, although the decent price does justify it.
Old 06-20-06, 04:19 PM
LexFather

I like Mazda more than some luxury brands.

Old 06-20-06, 04:47 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Finally. The RX-8's way underpowered IMO, although the decent price does justify it.
But boy does it handle....
Old 06-21-06, 09:00 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
But boy does it handle....
That's definitely true. I love the styling of it, especially all those rotary accents inside the cabin. Very unique design
Old 06-21-06, 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I like Mazda more than some luxury brands.
Yes.....go test-drive some of them if you have not done so. They don't call Mazda the poor man's BMW for nothing. And, unlike BMWs, Mazdas don't have you-know-what between the front seats.

( I drove them myself through a good part of the 80's and early 90's before switching to Toyota and Lexus )
Old 06-21-06, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Yes and no. I've driven the new Renesis-equipped version. I did a review...but privately for a friend of mine, not on CL. It is a little short on low-end HP and torque, primarily from the small engine displacement and flywheel size ( a big, heavy flywheel adds torque ) , but once you get it rolling and the RPM's up, things start to spunk. And...how many street production engines do you know, outside of the Honda S2000's, that will rev freely to 8500-9000 RPM all day long?
For some reason, Mazda rates the manual transmission version significantly higher in HP and torque than the automatic.

And......don't forget the fact that even if this car is not a first-class dragster at low speeds, throw it around a sharp corner and a smile is almost guaranteed to break out on your face.

The only real problem with this car, aside from the fact that it cramps big tall people like all small sports cars, is the engine's unacceptable oil and gas consumption....something that has plagued rotary engines since Day One. Engineers have worked on the root of this problem for decades.......the rotary apex tip seals that are the equivalent of a conventional engine's piston rings and the fact that some gas and oil are used up in the engine's actual lubrication ....but the problem still persists to some extent.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-21-06 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 09:27 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

droppin down to third and punching it is where the fun is in the rx-8, i drive my cuzzins rx-8 and the handling and 3rd gear is the best thing in the world!
Old 06-21-06, 09:29 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cherplex
It might be just me but why would mazda boost their new SUV(CX-7) the Mazda 6, well I'm not sure if the Mazda 3 is still boosted. But why not have turbo in the RX-8
That doen't make any sense. Maybe they sell more SUV's??

I miss my 2nd gen '87' RX-7...great handling car. I would love to have a 3rd gen turbo'd RX-7.
Old 06-21-06, 09:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
That doen't make any sense. Maybe they sell more SUV's??

I miss my 2nd gen '87' RX-7...great handling car. I would love to have a 3rd gen turbo'd RX-7.
turboing the RX-8 motor would make its fuel economy and emissions more worse, and it aint even great in its N/A form
Old 06-21-06, 09:41 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For some reason, Mazda rates the manual transmission version significantly higher in HP and torque than the automatic.
I'm not positive on this, but I think the manual version has a slightly different valve setup in the cylinders.

Quick Reply: Why Mazda Why........