Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S. cars score well in quality study, but Japanese gain in trucks and SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-06, 07:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default U.S. cars score well in quality study, but Japanese gain in trucks and SUVs

Monday, June 19, 2006

U.S. cars score well in quality, study says

But in trucks and SUVs, Japanese gain in traditional Big 3 stronghold.

Sarah Karush / Associated Press

Quality check

Winners in Strategic Vision Inc.'s survey of 2006 vehicles:

Best brand: BMW

Small car: Honda Civic

Small multi-function: Chevrolet HHR

Medium car: Ford Fusion

Large car: Dodge Charger

Small specialty (under $25,000): Mini Cooper

Small specialty (over $25,000): Chevrolet Corvette

Near-luxury car: Lexus IS 250/350

Luxury car: BMW 7-Series

Convertible (under $30,000): Mini Cooper Convertible

Convertible (over $30,000): Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Minivan: Honda Odyssey

Small SUV: Saturn Vue

Medium SUV: Toyota 4Runner

Medium crossover: Dodge Magnum

Large SUV: Nissan Armada

Luxury SUV: Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Compact pickup: Toyota Tacoma

Full-size pickup: Honda Ridgeline

Heavy-duty pickup: Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500

DETROIT -- U.S. automakers are producing more hits with cars, but are facing steeper competition in trucks, an area they once dominated, according to a vehicle quality study released today.

The domestic Big Three had the top-scoring vehicles in five out of 10 car categories in the annual vehicle quality study by Strategic Vision Inc., a San Diego-based market research firm and consultant to automakers. A notable winner was the Ford Fusion, which prevailed in the medium car category.

In trucks, Japanese companies took six of 10 categories. The winners included the Honda Odyssey for minivan and the Nissan Armada for large SUV.

Detroit is "playing catch-up, but the competition is moving ahead at the same time," said Daniel Gorrell, vice president of Strategic Vision. "The imports are really developing a strong foothold in the truck market."

The study, which factors in emotional reactions to vehicles, as well as defects and design issues, found BMW to be the top brand, just ahead of Lexus.

BMW's ranking contrasted sharply to a better-known quality report by J.D. Power and Associates. That study, released earlier this month, found a high number of complaints about BMW for design, particularly its iDrive system, which operates many different controls through a single ****.

Gorrell called iDrive "a mistake." But, he added, "that's not the total experience people have with BMW."

With the Fusion, a key vehicle in Ford Motor Co.'s comeback strategy, a variety of attributes -- particularly styling, roominess, quiet and dealership experience -- prompted owners to give it high marks.

General Motors Corp. had five winners, though most were lower-volume models, including the Chevrolet Corvette and the Saturn Vue. Three of the company's largest sellers, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500, the GMC Sierra 1500 and the Chevrolet Impala, scored below average in their segments.

DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group won in the large car segment with the Dodge Charger and the medium crossover category with the Dodge Magnum.

For the Japanese manufacturers, the reliability they are known for was only one element in their success, Gorrell said. For instance, the Toyota Tacoma, which won for compact pickup, and the 4Runner, which took first place for medium sport utility vehicle, got a boost from superior styling, he said. Meanwhile, the Odyssey and the Honda Ridgeline (full-size pickup) benefited from power, roominess and innovation.

The study, paid for by most automakers, has been conducted since 1995. For 2006, Strategic Vision surveyed more than 29,000 people on vehicles purchased in October and November.

source : detnews
Old 06-19-06, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I can't buy a lot of what is on this list.....and I have reviewed a number of these vehicles ( not all, of course ) .

The Chevrolet HHR has dynamite looks, but is very sluggish and feels as if it is made out of cardboard ( see my review ).

Mini Coopers, also with dynamite looks, have been quite troublesome in the reliability department.

The Saturn VUE has a nice AWD system and all-weather capability and plastic ding-proof panels, but some of the worst fit-and-finish I have seen on a modern car.

The Nissan Armada ( and its brother the Infiniti QX56) is big and roomy, just like the Tahoe ( one of the very few import-nameplate vehicles that are ), but, mostly because of the continuing problems in the Canton, MS plant, has been a quality nightmare from Day One.

The BMW 7-series...........ditto.........nightmare electronics.
Old 06-19-06, 09:31 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't buy a lot of what is on this list.....and I have reviewed a number of these vehicles ( not all, of course ) .

The Chevrolet HHR has dynamite looks, but is very sluggish and feels as if it is made out of cardboard ( see my review ).

Mini Coopers, also with dynamite looks, have been quite troublesome in the reliability department.

The Saturn VUE has a nice AWD system and all-weather capability and plastic ding-proof panels, but some of the worst fit-and-finish I have seen on a modern car.

The Nissan Armada ( and its brother the Infiniti QX56) is big and roomy, just like the Tahoe ( one of the very few import-nameplate vehicles that are ), but, mostly because of the continuing problems in the Canton, MS plant, has been a quality nightmare from Day One.

The BMW 7-series...........ditto.........nightmare electronics.
This list is pure BS. I can't believe they dare include the MINI, the 7 and the Armada.
Old 06-19-06, 10:29 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
This list is pure BS. I can't believe they dare include the MINI, the 7 and the Armada.
... I love the new IS, but I know I'm not the only one who's had to take it back twice in under 4k miles. And some of the other vehicles on the list are just mind-boggling.
Old 06-19-06, 10:35 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW best brand in a quality study???

Saturn Vue better than a Toyota RAV4 for example?

I have no respect for this study.
Old 06-19-06, 10:41 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
BMW best brand in a quality study???

Saturn Vue better than a Toyota RAV4 for example?

I have no respect for this study.
Detroit News has been throwing around a lot of BS lately. No wonder, at a time when the Japanese is about to take over the reigning American as the #1 automaker, they as a Detroit publication has to make up something drastic.
Old 06-19-06, 02:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by genearch
Naturally, any study, from any source that does not rank Toyota or Lexus at or near the top is flawed...
Yup you got that right.

But seriously, when was the last time a MINI, a 7-Series, or an Armada scored well in a quality study, from any source? Or for that matter, when was the last time they were NOT in the "worst" list, when such a list was included in the same report?

Most of us call this study BS for good reasons.

EDIT: Oh just noticed the Land Rover Range Rover Sport also won. That's BS too.
Old 06-19-06, 02:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

well, it is not really an quality study is it? They rate design, roomness, etc. I would think it has very little to do with quality.
Old 06-19-06, 02:56 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, it is not really an quality study is it? They rate design, roomness, etc. I would think it has very little to do with quality.
I think you're right, after I reread the following paragraph.
For the Japanese manufacturers, the reliability they are known for was only one element in their success, Gorrell said. For instance, the Toyota Tacoma, which won for compact pickup, and the 4Runner, which took first place for medium sport utility vehicle, got a boost from superior styling, he said. Meanwhile, the Odyssey and the Honda Ridgeline (full-size pickup) benefited from power, roominess and innovation.
So the vehicles I called BS upon may have won due to "qualities" (plural) they possess other than "quality", in which case I'd take back my previous comments but instead complain about the misleading title of the study since it really isn't just a "quality" survey.
Old 06-19-06, 04:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't forget this :
The study, which factors in emotional reactions to vehicles, as well as defects and design issues . . .
Old 06-19-06, 05:00 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this must be a joke. bmw, mini, armada, and 7 series in the same sentence as "quality"! LOL
Old 06-19-06, 05:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by genearch
Naturally, any study, from any source that does not rank Toyota or Lexus at or near the top is flawed...

Lexus was right behind BMW according to the article