Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

'08 Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra (Tundra's new comp. - Official specs p. 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 10:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default '08 Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra (Tundra's new comp. - Official specs p. 2)

2007 GMC Sierra caught on video
By Ed Hellwig Email | Blog
Date posted: 06-01-2006

General Motors is making sure its next generation of full-size trucks is just right. Although the 2007 GMC Sierra and 2007 Chevrolet Silverado are just six months from the start of production, GM's engineers are still busy working out the bugs. In our latest spy video, our shooters managed to catch a GMC Sierra prototype as it crisscrossed the Rocky Mountains.

With camouflage covering most of the exterior body panels, this prototype didn't reveal any new details we haven't seen before. It's obviously a four-door crew cab, but traditional extended- and standard-cab versions will be available as well. The overall shape of the truck won't change drastically, with most of the changes expected to come in the design of the front end and the interior. We've been told this Sierra will feature more changes from its Chevrolet cousin than previous versions, but all the hardware underneath will remain largely identical.

Both the Sierra and the Silverado will likely offer the same engines and transmissions already being used in the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon SUVs. Starting with a base 4.8-liter V8 with 290 horsepower, the lineup is also expected to include two 5.3-liter V8s and a top-of-the-line 6.2-liter, 380-horsepower V8 on Sierra Denali models. Both versions of the 5.3-liter V8 will have approximately 320 hp and cylinder deactivation for improved mileage, but one will also offer the ability to run on E85.

A new six-speed automatic transmission will be used with the top-notch V8, while lesser versions will use a four-speed auto. Once production of GM's new six-speed transmission increases, we expect it will be offered across the board.

Although our video camera wasn't able to peer into the cabin of the Sierra prototype, earlier pictures of the inside of a Chevrolet Silverado show a much improved interior design. Unlike previous GM trucks, the cabins of the Silverado/Sierra twins will have a slightly different setup than their SUV cousins. Higher-grade materials and all the latest features should make both the Silverado and the Sierra more comfortable and stylish inside. And let's face it, anything is better than the drab, plastic-coated interior of the current trucks.

Expect to see both the GMC Sierra and the Chevrolet Silverado make their official debuts sometime this fall with sales beginning in early 2007.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=115599#2
Old 06-02-06, 06:40 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that a Ford F150 interior shot..

I know its not but dang.
Old 06-02-06, 06:42 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Milla...
Is that a Ford F150 interior shot..

I know its not but dang.
EXACTLY what I thought. My buddy has a 150 and it looks exactly like it on the inside. They've even boxed out the exterior like the 150.
CV
Old 06-02-06, 06:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

another $10000+ profit margin vehicle
Old 06-12-06, 08:22 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Default Spy Shots: 2008 Chevy Silverado

Riding on the GMT900 platform, the Silverado’s introduction comes after that of the full-size SUVs, and up until this moment - has been very well hidden behind miles of black vinyl. Although this was originally scheduled to arrive as a 2008 model, Chevrolet has been working at a fast pace and the Silverado will likely debut this fall, with production starting as early as October. And, as one can clearly see, this is no Tahoe clone, but a unique look including stacked headlamps, which separate the trucks from the SUVs.

We’re a bit surprised that the Silverado doesn’t have some of the signature styling from the 2003 Cheyenne Concept - such as the wraparound glass at the back of the cab, yet we think consumers will be pleasantly surprised with both the styling and car-like refinement that the Silverado is said to have. And, equipment-wise, this Silverado is equipped with a roof-rack and back-up sensors.
Old 06-12-06, 08:46 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I have to admit, new chevy trucks are looking mighty good! I think they look awesome!
Old 06-12-06, 09:41 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Interior Shot

Old 06-12-06, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Look at that gap down the passenger's side of the hood. It makes you wonder if the truck was actually built that way of if somebody just left the hood partially unlatched.
Old 06-12-06, 09:50 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I'm glad they worked on the interior.

The current one is disgusting.

M.
Old 06-12-06, 10:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I'm really not impressed with this, especially after seeing how handsome the new Suburban, Tahoe, and Avalanche are. The front end looks cheap, cheesy, dated, and stretched out, ESPECIALLY compared to the aformentioned GM suvs. The window shape is lifted right off the Nissan Frontier, and that side 3/4 shot is almost identical to the new Dakota.

Nice work GM!!
Old 06-12-06, 10:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't I seen this 3/4 somewhere before?

Oh yeah...

And throw in these tail lights for good measure...

Old 06-12-06, 11:47 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Look at that gap down the passenger's side of the hood. It makes you wonder if the truck was actually built that way of if somebody just left the hood partially unlatched.
considering the shape brand new pontiacs come in, I wouldn't be surprised if that gap was "within specs" from GM's point of view.
Old 06-12-06, 11:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

doesnt look that much different

R&D costs mustve been very little to redesign this guy
Old 06-12-06, 12:46 PM
Yoko
Driver

Although I am not impressed, they did surprise me.

Before i saw these spy photos i thought the new Silverado was just going to be a truck with a Tahoe's face. It seems that the face of this Silverado is a little different from the Tahoe's.
Old 06-12-06, 01:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'm really not impressed with this, especially after seeing how handsome the new Suburban, Tahoe, and Avalanche are. The front end looks cheap, cheesy, dated, and stretched out, ESPECIALLY compared to the aformentioned GM suvs. The window shape is lifted right off the Nissan Frontier, and that side 3/4 shot is almost identical to the new Dakota.

Nice work GM!!
Agreed.

Take a look at the new 2007 Toyota Tundra. Far superior but still won't sell nearly as much as the Chevy. People buy them because of their loyalty. And the interiors of todays GM trucks meet Japanese auto standards of the 80's.

The Dodge Ram is the only American truck worth writing a check for.

Quick Reply: '08 Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra (Tundra's new comp. - Official specs p. 2)