Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it just me or have I seen TONS of advertising for the Infintii FX 35/45

Old 06-02-06, 10:31 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Is it just me or have I seen TONS of advertising for the Infintii FX 35/45

I must say Infiniti is "TRYING" with the FX. They just revised it inside and a little outside and their advertising has been ALL OVER. I mean, in every magazine and not just car related ones and tons of T.V. I have to give them some kudos, they are trying HARD to push this car.

THe ads of course shout "speed and agility etc, not utility".

Well sales dropped 38% in May from 2005. That is like a huge kick in the nuts.

WHat is the problem with this truck? Could it really look that horrific to people? It is different, the interior is slightly better and it is reliable.

Too much sport and not enough utility? The brand has no image?

I mean, I rarely see any RX commercials for the new 350, only a couple and it sells like the end of the world is coming.

Old 06-02-06, 11:20 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2007 RX 350 is beautiful. The 2006 FX ... not so much. I love the RX and I would probably get one if the new redesigned one was out now.
Old 06-02-06, 11:49 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The FX35/45 don't have a lot of room in them as compared to the RX350, I think they are nice looking trucks, sounds great going down the highway but not a lot of utility to them.
Old 06-03-06, 01:51 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

This is already the second generation for the RX and so its popularity was built upon the previous generation. I've had an FX as a loaner when i was getting my car serviced and i wasnt too impressed with the interior. However, i looked at the new ones and the interior looks great. The interior space does seem pretty small though. I just think infiniti needs to release new products to get some more people through the doors. Aside from the M, it seems like the lineup has been the same for too long. So my guess for the drop in sales is not enough utility because everything else about it is good. I think it looks and handles great
Old 06-03-06, 09:27 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

I haven't seen any commercials lately, like where they used the orange light to draw the top portion of the car

However, I saw a commercial that was almost like the fx/infiniti's commercial but turned out to be one of the german beer company The line/silhouette protrayed the beer cap.
Old 06-03-06, 10:30 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FX is a relatively big car, but cargo space is very limited due to the rear roof line.
I have tried loading boxes and other large items in the FX and it is pretty sad how small
the interior is.

I've never warmed up to the looks of the FX. It reminds me of a hunchback with the way
the rear is finished off. The oversized wheels also look ridiculous.

I recently saw an FX parked right next to the new Mazda CX-7 and the Mazda was much
better looking. The interior of the CX-7 was very nice too.
Old 06-03-06, 11:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen a lot of commercials, and I actually see a lot of FX on the road. The car is very distinguishable, and Infiniti definately does a good job in highlighting design. Perhaps Infiniti needs to emphasize other things beyond design, such as safety or reliability or gas efficiency? You can only go so far on design alone (think Crossfire...).
Old 06-03-06, 03:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

The FX is another big vehicle without much useful space in it. Besides that, it's ugly. It's a Dodge Magnum on crack. The latest 'update' was just lipstick on this pig.
Old 06-03-06, 10:12 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Not your imagination, definitely been seeing a lot of print ads in the automotive magazines the past few months. Here in the LA area there are tons of billboards with FX ads in them as well.
Old 06-04-06, 12:05 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I don't think the FX ads are specifically for the FX, as strange as that may sound at first blush. Somebody posted something here a month or so ago about how Infiniti is trying to push "design" as the mantra for their brand (like "performance" is for BMW, "perfection" is for Lexus, etc.) and how the FX epitomized that approach. If they consider the shape and style of the FX to be the standard-bearer for the entire brand, then it makes sense they would use it in advertising that is really intended simply to boost the brand's image.
Old 06-04-06, 12:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Heavy marketing campaign. On another note, one of my friends with a 2005 FX35 (purchased new) tranny failed last month. It was an uphill battle for him with Infiniti but they finally gave in and replaced it. He's now planning to get rid it.
Old 06-04-06, 12:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Heavy marketing campaign. On another note, one of my friends with a 2005 FX35 (purchased new) tranny failed last month. It was an uphill battle for him with Infiniti but they finally gave in and replaced it. He's now planning to get rid it.

It happens. My neighbor's 2004 Lexus RX330 was just in the shop last month to get the torque convertor replaced. Apparantly it failed on the freeway and it caused traffic It slipped badly and would halt to a stop on the freeway. It has about 60k miles on the clock too lexus was quick to replace it though. He's going to get rid of it for a Honda civic since he commutes a lot more now.
Old 06-04-06, 12:34 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceman
I don't think the FX ads are specifically for the FX, as strange as that may sound at first blush. Somebody posted something here a month or so ago about how Infiniti is trying to push "design" as the mantra for their brand (like "performance" is for BMW, "perfection" is for Lexus, etc.) and how the FX epitomized that approach. If they consider the shape and style of the FX to be the standard-bearer for the entire brand, then it makes sense they would use it in advertising that is really intended simply to boost the brand's image.
I have seen lots of Infiniti ads on TV with their paint brush/roofline theme. It seems like PR101 to me, either someone at Infiniti *thinks* they have an image problem or *knows* they have an image problem.

Lexus, BMW, MB, etc. REINFORCE the image they have through their ads. It seems Infiniti is trying to CREATE or RECTIFY their image, which is a large undertaking and indicative of trouble (double-digit sales drops). Ask Joe Blow on the street what they associate with BMW, they'll probably say performance. Ask the same about Lexus, they'll probably say luxury. Ask about Infiniti, they'll probably say "WTF is Infiniti, go awai dude."

The FX answers a question no asked in the first place, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the beginning of its slow and painful death.

I'm not entirely sure when Infiniti is going to grow up and stop chasing Lexus and BMW. Infiniti actually has an advantage in being a "smaller", less-established brand without a clear identity. They can take risks and be inventive, but it seems that they've been taking the wrong risks and haven't been inventive in recent years.

Point in case, their SUVs. The QX56 is quite possibly the worst vehicle in Japanese automotive history and the FX is really pretty weird and useless.

I'm personally waiting for the day that car companies shift away from the bubble-like, curvaceous designs that have dominated the industy for the past 5+ years. I want to see clean, classy lines that were the standard on European cars in the late 80s and early 90s (also see the early Lexus and Acura models). THIS is a risk that Infiniti could take, and I would applaud them for it. Offer a REAL alternative, not more oddities. They could be the new Volvo, boxy but good. Attract and retain a real cult following like Saab, but manage not to **** it away (as most have noticed, Saab and Volvo have shed their heritage wholesale and have become quite uninteresting quite quickly).

That, or something like it, should be Infiniti's goal and mission if they want to carve out a lasting, legitiment place for themselves in the luxury world. They did a good job years ago with the G35 and the FM-platform cars in general, but it seems like it was a bit too premature to claim victory. There's a world of opportunity staring them in the face in terms of the next 5-7 years, here's to hoping they won't back down (because that means we'd lose as consumers and auto enthusiasts).
Old 06-04-06, 02:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

the GX470 looks butt ugly.

the X5 on the other hand, I'm sure you'll love it. Though I wonder when they're going to redesign it.
Old 06-04-06, 02:44 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
the GX470 looks butt ugly.

the X5 on the other hand, I'm sure you'll love it. Though I wonder when they're going to redesign it.
I agree the GX is ugly...really ugly. However, my uncle has an X5 and has had nothing but problems with it. I think he said that his engine died on the freeway a couple of times, the engine not starting, and other stuff. Its been in and out BMW service since they've had it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it just me or have I seen TONS of advertising for the Infintii FX 35/45