Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Crossover Design Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 12:23 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Crossover Design Help

Hi guys,

I'm not sure where to put this: there isn't a design section or an art section on this board, and I figure I'm not really posting designs of my own, I'm asking for feedback on what the Lexus community would like in a certain type of car. Move if necessary, Mods!

I'm part of another website called CarSpyShots, and we have design competitions there every once in a while. For the latest design competition, the brief was to design a crossover ala Chrysler Pacifica and Mercedes R-Class. I've decided to design a Lexus crossover, something along the veins of the LF-X, except better looking and more macho. This being a Lexus forum, I thought I'd do something I've never done with one of my previous designs before, and post them, evolution by evolution, for feedback until the due date for the design competition, and until I've gained the thumbs up from the most important community for a design like this, the Lexus community. Think of it as a design clinic for potential customers!

Now, naturally, the nature of this design contest isn't hardcore or anything. It's actually quite opposite from serious, and designing cars is just a side-hobby for me, so don't expect anything blind blowing or professional. I do take my personal designs somewhat seriously, and I appreciate criticism for the sake of getting better! I just want feedback!

I've sketched out several design directions for this vehicle but I will post the one I think for now holds the most promise. Please critique as much as possible! Thanks

(In case you guys are interested in my other designs of late, check out my deviantart page ( knihc2008.deviantart.com ) my cardesignnews page, or just pm me! I've posted hundreds more works on CarSpyShots! P.S. You guys might be interested, as a Lexus community in my only other Lexus design, the LF-J: http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=18335 )

Last edited by knihc2008; 06-02-06 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-02-06, 12:40 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good!

looks like the front has the L-finess look
u sure u dont work for toyota/lexus?
lol

haha recyling some organic chemistry paper?
Old 06-02-06, 12:50 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UberNoob
haha recyling some organic chemistry paper?
No... Maybe... Yes... Very yes

Thanks for the comments! The front has lots of IS in it... I tried to infuse as much L-finesse in there as possible!

Oh I forgot to mention the doors, which are cut pretty severely along the rising line on the bottom, angling heavily towards the center as it reaches the bottom of the car. I have done this so that when you open the door, the rocker panel can slide down and out to create a step without hitting any curbs or soiling your pants. Neat huh?
Old 06-02-06, 01:02 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

interesting

ive noticed that all of the car sketches have their side panels (doors) curved inwards towards the centre of the car
but the second sketch looks like it angles out at a sharp 60 degrees or something
but it didnt curve back towards the centre it seems
the line drawn wasnt thick enuf i guess

oh remember to use LED lights
thats the trend for concepts
and camera mirrors

one comment from my engineering stand point
its cool that u designed a slide down step
one thing is that it will need to be mechanically controlled by hydraulic or electric motor with door sensors because once it slides down, some force will need to push it back up when door closes
and it has to be tight enuf so weather stripping gets a good seal (especially being down there)

sorry for criticizing but having an engineering background always makes me want to pick on concepts
hehehe

btw this concept looks great
some what reminds me of IS + mazda CX7 + FX35/45

how does the hatch work?
split open?

Last edited by UberNoob; 06-02-06 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-02-06, 01:51 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Great sketches man, I going to look for my notebook sketches and post some too
Old 06-02-06, 06:40 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

There ya go, those are my notes from class
Old 06-02-06, 08:30 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The sketches are great, the #2 from the top looks bada$$, I want to see that car!!! Of course, be sure to add the refined touches, and secondary cues that the new Lexus cars all have, otherwise it'll look like a Mazda.

I personally think the drawings look better than the LF-X.
Old 06-02-06, 10:32 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by enigma354
The sketches are great, the #2 from the top looks bada$$, I want to see that car!!! Of course, be sure to add the refined touches, and secondary cues that the new Lexus cars all have, otherwise it'll look like a Mazda.

I personally think the drawings look better than the LF-X.
Thanks enigma! For now the refined cues I cant' quite draw on a sketch like this are of course the Lexus grille, chrome around the side windows, LED tail lamp elements, etc. It seems most of you like the general shape and that's good news to me
Old 06-02-06, 10:33 PM
LexFather

Wow not bad. Do remember, Lexus has "L-finesse" to use and your car looks more squarish. Use the LF-A, LF-C, LF-S concepts as a guide for what a Lexus cross over should look like.

Personally, why not try a new coupe?

Old 06-02-06, 11:19 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow not bad. Do remember, Lexus has "L-finesse" to use and your car looks more squarish. Use the LF-A, LF-C, LF-S concepts as a guide for what a Lexus cross over should look like.

Personally, why not try a new coupe?
Thanks for the advice; I personally think the car needs a bit more radical-ness and more curvatures, ala LF-A, not sure where I can work any in but I'll try

And as far as the coupe goes, my OP says that this design is for a crossover design competition :P And the end of the OP gives a link to my Lexus LF-J, a sort of CLS-type coupe design I made a while back
Old 06-03-06, 02:44 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

??? For some reason I can't post pics, it's been like that for a while... Is there some sort of limit as to how many pictures you can post?
Old 06-03-06, 08:46 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

you've designed an LF-A
Old 06-03-06, 12:21 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

GSSnarl: I think the pics should be working? Does anyone else have this problem?

OLT: haha I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not; I should hope I haven't designed a supercar in my quest to design a crossover :P
Old 06-04-06, 01:26 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i like ur concept more than the LF-X

but i wouldnt mind the LF-X either
looks realistic enuf that it probably will happen