Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New S550 on Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 01:02 AM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New S550 on Top Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZD8S...ew%20S%20class
Old 06-01-06, 01:40 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to really dislike MB interiors, but now that MB is lifting them from 7ers they actually look very nice. It's a clean appearance, but the lack of buttons and the high-levels of integration in the COMMAND system may confuse many older buyers.

I'm imagining MB's 7spd auto was benchmarked and will be beaten by Lexus' all-new 8spd hardware.

LS460 will avoid the gas guzzler tax, while offering identical if not superior acceleration figures. Some companies are responsible, other's are not.

There are really only three areas I can imagine the LS460 easily outshining the S-class. Powertrain/Drivetrain, NVH, and reliability.

MB's "night vision" is pretty cool, there was an article about it in the current issue Pop-sci and they like it. That's about the only feature the S-class has that the LS460 doesn't. But the LS460 may just make up w/its superior radar (can detect animals, small objects) and brighter HID's.

What it will really come down to is which chassis is better, if Lexus has the winner they claim they do....I see another embarrasment for MB.
Old 06-01-06, 08:09 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

After looking at that video I really don't think it's to much that can touch the S class. Lexus will always be the reliability king. But the S class will always be the king of the road.
Old 06-01-06, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very very nice, the night vision is indeed something, amazingly clear!!!
Old 06-01-06, 09:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it, but ask me again if I owned that thing after a couple of years.
Old 06-01-06, 10:30 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusLuver
MB's "night vision" is pretty cool, there was an article about it in the current issue Pop-sci and they like it. That's about the only feature the S-class has that the LS460 doesn't.
Don't forget the massaging front seats, a memory-card-fed audio system (easily beats a harddrive that stores only 8GB of music), a panoramic roof, and Distronic PLUS that stops and go, to name a few.
Old 06-01-06, 12:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Night Vision looks cool but Fifth Gear's test showed it to be nearly useless at detecting pedestrians ahead...

But I sat in the S-class recently, and the New version is really a huge improvement. So much so that it's nearly a return to the old glory days of well-designed Benz interiors.

Unlike the other models...
Old 06-01-06, 01:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

shouldve seen what happened afterwards they get an old S class with a 2.8 V6 and turn the inside into a cottage like room, they put cement on the floor and it weighed down the car so bad. 0-60 in 35 seconds was hilarious, had a wood burning stove, a few chairs, a table with a tea set on it also and they were taking a lap around the track and stuff was sliding all over the place
Old 06-01-06, 02:31 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma354
The Night Vision looks cool but Fifth Gear's test showed it to be nearly useless at detecting pedestrians ahead...
BMW's system detects heat, and displays it on a low-res display on the console. This is pretty useless, I don't know how the LX470's system operates. MB's system fires some energy out and it's return is displayed.

What's interesting is MB finally came up w/a response to Lexus' Opitron (sp) gauge cluster. The nightvision/LCD gauges are really neat feature, IMO. Though I feel Lexus gauges are more inviting and natual in appearance.

Originally Posted by enigma354
But I sat in the S-class recently, and the New version is really a huge improvement. So much so that it's nearly a return to the old glory days of well-designed Benz interiors.
The interior seems to be the most improved area, along w/the engine. The 7spd tranny, and chassis are essentially carried over and further refined.
Old 06-01-06, 02:42 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Great video. When I saw the new S Class on the street I liked it a lot more than I did in pictures, and it was one of my favorite cars at the autoshow...they've done a great job. Like Clarkson stated in his review of the CLS55 though, I'm still weary of Mercedes reliability and I know that it seems like a lot of Lexus fans play that card, but it's only because we can. They had so much trouble with this current C-Class when it first came out and that car is unbelievably basic in comparison to this one, the new E has had its share of issues, the outgoing S class was a nightmare for everyone that I know who owned one, the old ML was probably the worst car that Mercedes ever built, and I know that there have been numerous problems accross their entire product line. For that reason alone, I don't think I'd buy an S Class if I had the money.

I think there are two ways of looking at a car like this. The first being "This car costs $80,000+ and has so much advanced technology which is what I paid for, so it's ok if it breaks down every now and then because it's SO state of the art and SO advanced that it hasn't been refined." The second being, "If I pay $80,000 for a car, it better be solid, reliable, and moreso than any car costing less because I'm paying for the quality and dependability (as well as other things)."

I think it's this mentality that seperates Mercedes and Lexus buyers. To each his own, though.

I hope that I don't sound like a Lexus troll but I am excited to see what the LS 460 brings to the table. No doubt that it's going to be packed with technology but I think that the test is going to be whether it can keep up with the new S550 in terms of performance, and cruise past it in dependability and reliability surveys while rivaling it in technology. I hope Lexus doesn't screw up VDIM this time, though it's arguably less important in a car that's bigger than the IS and GS.
Old 07-07-06, 06:36 PM
tejkohli
Driver School Candidate

Default Luxury, Style, and Power – Tej Kohli

I purchased one in April 2006. I went from a 2001 S500 to the brand new S550, and there are some huge improvements. The rear has an extra couple of inches compared to the pervious model, and of course you can feel that the S550 has much more power than the previous model too. The S550 has great Fuel Economy for the amount of power it produces and engine size, I get around 18.5 - 21 MPG average.

Also this car has a lot of electronics, it just that’s a while to get use to the system. Even so, it is a masterful redesign of a previously great car -
Tej Kohli.
Old 07-07-06, 07:02 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLuver
It's a clean appearance, but the lack of buttons and the high-levels of integration in the COMMAND system may confuse many older buyers.
It won't confuse older buyers. It's one of the least complicated systems to use, almost as easy as the MMI.

There are a few older members on the MB forums that find it very easy to use.
Old 07-07-06, 07:40 PM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

I still dont like the the body style, but I am definitly digging the interior.
Funny how I was just watching it with my dad, he is drooling all over it now
Old 07-07-06, 08:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I enjoyed this review also...

http://www.theonlinecarshow.com/Mercedes-S550-Lo.html
Old 07-07-06, 08:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Just watched Clarkson's video - wow. I loved the new S-class when it was first shown, and this cements it. Power, style, luxury, and INCREDIBLE handling - did you guys see how FLAT that thing corners?????

That night vision is awesome too. And the graphics on that screen are great even if some of the controls ought to also be available on buttons.

I love it. I hope the new LS460 really gives it stiff competition, but I don't think it will.

Quick Reply: New S550 on Top Gear