Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which should I do?
Don't trade for the LX470, Keep the SC..Save your money
69.23%
Are you stupid? GET THE LX470
30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Should I trade my 97 SC300 for a 2003 LX470?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 10:15 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I trade my 97 SC300 for a 2003 LX470?

I'm torn... I know many of you are going to say "keep mine and get the LX also" but I'm looking to consolidate and have a dual purpose vehicle.

A pic of my SC

A pic of the LX470 I'm looking at
Old 05-31-06, 10:29 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your SC is beautiful, it puts brand new cars to shame. I hate SUV'S so I would keep the SC. If you need more room I understand, I just upgraded. I was looking at 4runners because we need space but I can't ditch the car habit. Out of my 11 years of driving i've never had a truck or SUV. So I found my LS400 and fell in love, I would highly recommend it.
Old 05-31-06, 10:59 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your sc is sick... but having both...
I love my SC but the LX is such a nice car... I love every aspect of it, rides beautifully, has the adjustable suspension, very impressive stock system... also looks very appealing, in my opinion on of the nicer suv’s on the road, comparable look-wise to the rover sports, and such...

The only thing I don’t like about the lx is the body sway.. I know I know its an suv and its suppose to be that way, that would be the only negative about it... and its not even suppose to handle like a SC or anything, but going from driving one to another that’s the only weak point I see in the LX, but I’d roll it..
Old 06-01-06, 01:29 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Wheres the "Are you stupid? Keep the SC!" option?

Seriously how ... is this in the same thought of consideration? Thats like me deciding if I want to purchase a ps3 or If I rather have new carpet rug.
Old 06-01-06, 06:35 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

If you are even fathoming this idea, do it. The LX is awesome!

CV
Old 06-01-06, 09:21 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Wheres the "Are you stupid? Keep the SC!" option?

Seriously how ... is this in the same thought of consideration? Thats like me deciding if I want to purchase a ps3 or If I rather have new carpet rug.

I hope your not serious

These are both vehicles.. If you had to drive one, which would it be.... I guess that's the question I was getting at.

I take it you are in favor of the SC..
Old 06-01-06, 09:37 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

This is two different worlds. I would have to say Keep the SC unless you are buying the LX with another purpose in mind (like towing a boat, or need the space for goodies). If it's just based on want, I would have to say pass on LX. They are nice trucks, but it will kill you on gas if its just for the purpose of getting a truck. Good luck with the decision.
Old 06-01-06, 09:51 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I hope your not serious

These are both vehicles.. If you had to drive one, which would it be.... I guess that's the question I was getting at.

I take it you are in favor of the SC..
I'm sure he's kidding

Basically, if you need the extra space, go for it.

I see this older gentlemen driving a 97+ sc and it's IMMACULATE
Old 06-01-06, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

There's really no one set answer here.
If you want a dual purpose vehicle, and want to stay within the Lexus family, the obvious choice would be an RX330, especially if you don't plan to go off-road. The LX is indeed a great vehicle, but it is quite expensive..and it really doesn't offer much more than the cheaper Toyota Land Cruiser, which of course is no El Cheapo either. The GS300 AWD and IS250 AWD offer some of the AWD traction benefits, but don't have much ground clearance or much room inside...and their tires are biased more towards dry-weather high performance than wet or icy - road traction.
An excellent dual-purpose vehicle is the L.L. Bean or VDC Subaru Outback, especially with the 3.0 H6 engine ( you would probably find the cheaper 2.5 non-turbo underpowered, but you would save about $6000 )
Other good moderately-priced dual-purpose vehicles are the Toyota RAV4 and Highlander, Honda CRV and Pilot, Mitsubishi Outlander / Endeavor ( they have been more reliable than other Mitsubishi products ), Acura MDX, Nissan Murano and Pathfinder, ( their reliability problems have not been as bad as the Armada's ) the Ford Escape / Mercury Mariner / Mazda Tribute triplets, and the new Mazda CX-7.
There are also some European-badged ones as well, including the Volvo XC-70 and XC-90, BMW X3 and X5, Audi All-Road, Mercedes M-Class, VW Touraeg, and VW Passat 4-Motion AWD, but these have not been as reliable as the Japanese-nameplate ones.
Old 06-01-06, 11:57 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Your write-ups never cease to amaze me MMarshall

Here is my situation... First, I actually started another thread regarding getting a second vehicle for a utility purpose.

If I do decide to get a second vehicle I am levitating towards a Nissan Xterra or use RX300..

If I decide to stay with 1 vehicle I am looking at either get a 2002+ BMW X5 V8 or a Lexus LX470... For some reason I see allot of women driving the RX330/300s around and see the LX as more of a masculine vehicle.

I would take whatever vehicle I get out ON the beach and in the sand.. It would also be used for picking up stuff at Lowes and Home Depot...

The big downside of the LX is its fuel economy (or lack there of)... but it wouldn't be much of a real financial burden, just allot more than what I'm paying now.
Old 06-01-06, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Your write-ups never cease to amaze me MMarshall

Here is my situation... First, I actually started another thread regarding getting a second vehicle for a utility purpose.

If I do decide to get a second vehicle I am levitating towards a Nissan Xterra or use RX300..

If I decide to stay with 1 vehicle I am looking at either get a 2002+ BMW X5 V8 or a Lexus LX470... For some reason I see allot of women driving the RX330/300s around and see the LX as more of a masculine vehicle.

I would take whatever vehicle I get out ON the beach and in the sand.. It would also be used for picking up stuff at Lowes and Home Depot...

The big downside of the LX is its fuel economy (or lack there of)... but it wouldn't be much of a real financial burden, just allot more than what I'm paying now.

Thanks. I try and provide the best car and truck advice I can.

First, forget about " chick " cars and stereotypes. If the RX330 fills your needs and you like it..by all means, get one and don't worry about what the WWF guys will think.

Second, there is an enormous difference between the Nissan XTerra and the RX300. They are almost total opposites. The XTerra is a hard-core, purposely-designed off-roader that is truck-based, body-on-frame, with scant thought to driver or passenger comfort. On almost anything but the most glassy-smooth surface, it will be like riding a Brahma Bull in a Western rodeo. Its off-road suspension is as hard as nails.
The RX330, on the other hand, will get you through snowstorms, mud, and mild off-roading with CLASS. ........it is whisper-quiet and just about as smooth as an SUV can get.
However, if you are going to climb the Rubicon Trail, the XTerra, unlike the RX330, will easily handle it.

Have you considered the Toyota 4Runner or the Lexus GX470? Either one is a good compromise between rugged off-road ability and a reasonable amount of on-road comfort....with good reliability, and at a reasonable price. They also have enough room to pick up things at Lowe's and home Depot of reasonable length and height. So do the Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4....but the Toyota / Lexus is likely to be more reliable.

The BMW X5, granted, is fun to drive by SUV standards, but they are notoriously unreliable, and early models were prone to engine fires from defective electric cooling fans. BMW had a big recall to replace the fan switches but I'm not sure I would trust even the revised ones......you say you are looking at a 2002.

Good luck

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-01-06 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 03:36 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. I try and provide the best car and truck advice I can.

First, forget about " chick " cars and stereotypes. If the RX330 fills your needs and you like it..by all means, get one and don't worry about what the WWF guys will think.

Second, there is an enormous difference between the Nissan XTerra and the RX300. They are almost total opposites. The XTerra is a hard-core, purposely-designed off-roader that is truck-based, body-on-frame, with scant thought to driver or passenger comfort. On almost anything but the most glassy-smooth surface, it will be like riding a Brahma Bull in a Western rodeo. Its off-road suspension is as hard as nails.
The RX330, on the other hand, will get you through snowstorms, mud, and mild off-roading with CLASS. ........it is whisper-quiet and just about as smooth as an SUV can get.
However, if you are going to climb the Rubicon Trail, the XTerra, unlike the RX330, will easily handle it.

Have you considered the Toyota 4Runner or the Lexus GX470? Either one is a good compromise between rugged off-road ability and a reasonable amount of on-road comfort....with good reliability, and at a reasonable price. They also have enough room to pick up things at Lowe's and home Depot of reasonable length and height. So do the Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4....but the Toyota / Lexus is likely to be more reliable.

The BMW X5, granted, is fun to drive by SUV standards, but they are notoriously unreliable, and early models were prone to engine fires from defective electric cooling fans. BMW had a big recall to replace the fan switches but I'm not sure I would trust even the revised ones......you say you are looking at a 2002.

Good luck
Thanks again!! another great write-up!

I am going to test drive a GX470 tomorrow. It's a 04 model with 30,000 miles. They are asking $36,000 for it.. I'm sure I can talk them down to around $34,000 if I try...
Old 06-01-06, 06:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The GX is a more comfortable ride than the LX. The LX is actually stiff in comparison, although an excellent vehicle in its own right. The GX is CONSIDERABLY smaller than the LX and probably narrower than even the RX (I haven't checked, but that was my perception).

I kind of went through what you're going through... I needed something with more room. In the end I got a new (06) Ford Explorer Limited. I just don't like buying used. You could get that for the money you're looking at. I got the V8 Limited with navigation - I really like it!

But the RX, GX, and LX are all very nice.

Your SC sure is a beauty though.