Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini Man if you need a Minivan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 09:54 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Man if you need a Minivan?

Problem - more kids on the way (total will be 3). Do I go practical for a loaded Toyota Siena Minivan or go more rugged with a full size SUV?

I would like to hear your thoughts from those that already have 3 or more kids and need to use that 3rd row for child seating, but still needs cargo space for the strollers, etc...behind the 3rd row seating.

The full size Toyota Sequoia is nice, but it is not appealing to me and is outdated. The Land Cruiser is nice and although outdated is expensive as heck for a Toyota. I have a GX already w/3rd row, but the GX is still considered a MID-SIZE SUV and there is no room to put anything behind these 3rd row seats. The LX470 is just expensive and overpriced if you want a full size SUV.

Your best deals for full Size SUVS are the new Chevey Tahoe and GMC Yukon / Yukon Denalis. The revamps for this year looks good, the problem is will it be tough as heck to get 3 kids situated easily in a large SUV as opposed to a Minivan?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-29-06, 09:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

psst, the sequia is more recent than the dated landcruiser.

and honestly, with three kids, you WILL like the minivan.

no nissan armada in consideration?
Old 05-30-06, 07:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Minivan. I loved it when I rented the Sienna for a weekend trip from L.A. to Napa Valley. It has a lot of bells and whistles that you wouldn't expect from a minivan. Easier access to the backseats and plenty of cargo room. It's also great in hauling up to seven adults, not just kids. Definately get the Limited if you're thinking about it. Not as rugged as an SUV but I doubt you'll be taking the kids off-road everyday. A little better gas mileage as well.
Old 05-30-06, 07:53 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd go for the Sienna or an Odyssey. Better ride, easier to get in & out of, better economy...

I have friends with both vehicles; both are great. I prefer the styling of the Odyssey a little,
and the Touring edition has TONS of stuff on it.

Frankly, there are so many soccer moms driving SUVs I'd feel like a bigger douche driving an SUV.
Give me the van any day. I could lower it a little and change the wheels...
Old 05-30-06, 08:57 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I'd go for the Sienna or an Odyssey. Better ride, easier to get in & out of, better economy...

Frankly, there are so many soccer moms driving SUVs I'd feel like a bigger douche driving an SUV.
+ 1

Go ahead and get a minivan - for all the reasons aforementioned by others. But especially due to the above. In my opinion, unless you need a SUV, say for towing, there's no point in getting one. The van will ride better, be more fuel efficient, accomodate more people, and cost far less than a big SUV w/ comparable interior (the Sienna has a nice interior - esp in Limited trim).

M.
Old 05-30-06, 09:14 AM
Neo
The One

Go for the minivan. It is much more practical. We almost got a Sienna this year but some plans changed so we had to adjust. Go check one out. Look at the Limited Sienna. Toyota could almost badge it a Lexus.
Old 05-30-06, 11:04 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

+1 on the van action. Dude, I don't even have kids, but I bought a Previa for a DD. Why? More interior room, better economy, and I wanna tune it VIP style (do a google on VIP Estimas for examples).
SUVs are obnoxious unless you tow alot and go offroad/camping. That said, I wouldn't drive a minivan unless it was a Previa, a 2nd-gen SIenna, or a newer Odyssey.
Old 05-30-06, 02:15 PM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Default Ody owner right here!!

My wife and I find our 03' Ody very pratical....we have 4 kids and w/power sliding doors and all the gadgets that these vans come with nowadays, the boys can get themselves loaded in easily. Not to mention rear entertainment and endless audio possibilities . Also, I know it's not a sports car, but it's pretty damn fast for a van..hehe

-Craig
Old 05-30-06, 08:08 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Minivan. I loved it when I rented the Sienna for a weekend trip from L.A. to Napa Valley. It has a lot of bells and whistles that you wouldn't expect from a minivan. Easier access to the backseats and plenty of cargo room. It's also great in hauling up to seven adults, not just kids. Definately get the Limited if you're thinking about it. Not as rugged as an SUV but I doubt you'll be taking the kids off-road everyday. A little better gas mileage as well.
I hear so many good things about the Siena and how it's the Lexus of Minivans, but with only 215HP did you still feel it had good pick up and is quick (as quick as you can consider a minivan to be?). The full size SUV is more appealing, but it's probably not practical compared to a minivan.
Old 05-30-06, 08:11 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
psst, the sequia is more recent than the dated landcruiser.

and honestly, with three kids, you WILL like the minivan.

no nissan armada in consideration?
The Nissan Armada is nice, but doesn't look as good as some of the other full size SUVs. The Sequoia still seems dated and doesn't have that sporty look that the new Yukon, Tahoe, Escalade have at this time with OEM 20" rim options. The American full size SUV with incentives will be the better bang for the buck. I thought I would never say this, but when you are shopping for a full size SUV at a good price, the Japanese and German offerrings are there, but expensive as heck!
Old 05-30-06, 08:14 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4

I have friends with both vehicles; both are great. I prefer the styling of the Odyssey a little,
and the Touring edition has TONS of stuff on it.

The Odyssey has more HP than the Siena and seems to have all the Amenities and the fully loaded sportier Touring version. However for some reason I like the look of the Siena better.

I noticed you are located in the OC. I am moving there later this year, so which local Toyota or Honda dealer would you recommend? Thanks again!
Old 05-30-06, 09:13 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Warning! The Armada is junk. (And that is coming from an Infiniti/Nissan owner!)

If you are looking for a full size SUV there are probably better options for that much money... I can't believe I'm saying this, but take a look at the new Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon.

My brother has the Odyssey as do a few others I know and they all rave about it... if I had to get a minivan that would be very high on the list.
Old 05-30-06, 09:25 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
Warning! The Armada is junk. (And that is coming from an Infiniti/Nissan owner!)

If you are looking for a full size SUV there are probably better options for that much money... I can't believe I'm saying this, but take a look at the new Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon.

My brother has the Odyssey as do a few others I know and they all rave about it... if I had to get a minivan that would be very high on the list.
In other threads I have expressed interest in the new Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon Denali. The power and the 20" rim options as well as any future incentives from GM makes this an attractive offer. I just have to figure out if it's easy to load up kids in there and gives me some room in the back for the strollers. I know the Minivan is more pratical overall, but still in denial.
Old 05-30-06, 09:28 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I just checked out the Sienna Limited Website again and it is luxuirous and has everything you need for kids. It looks nice too. I don't think I should put 20" rims on the SUV, but it still looks good. What still is a drawback is the 215 HP engine which seems week, but I guess I have to drive it and find out for myself.

I also should get a dark color to make it look like a coolor minivan.
Old 05-30-06, 09:45 PM
Neo
The One

The Odyssey has more HP but it is also a little heavier. I think the Sienna has a slight advantage in feel being lighter and having the torque come on sooner. Since we already have an MDX, the Odyssey was just not in play for us. When my wife test drove the Sienna (I did not), she remarked that the Sienna drove more like a car and the suspension was smoother like a car. She has driven the MDX since 02 and she noticed the difference right away. Granted, the MDX is not as truck like as some other SUVs out there, but the difference was still noticeable.

Go sit in an Sienna. The fit and finish is pretty nice.

Quick Reply: Mini Man if you need a Minivan?