Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tired of paying for gas? How about refueling your car with water?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 08:19 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Tired of paying for gas? How about refueling your car with water?

For once we gotta be proud to be American. Hope this takes off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImGaraPrEo8
Old 05-24-06, 08:22 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow that's excellent

I too hope this takes off. No reason not to.
Old 05-24-06, 08:28 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big oil companies are prob gonna have this guy taken out.

Hope it works out!

Wait.. then the price of water will go up to $3+ a gallon. LOL
Old 05-24-06, 08:39 PM
Phucanese
Rookie

yeah, i was talkin about this with my friends at school today.
it is really clever how he thought to use water.

that guy is a flippin genius!

plus, if the price of water goes up. people will start driving around with
funnels on the top of their cars, for when it rains, they have free fuel.

Last edited by Phucanese; 05-24-06 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 09:09 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, that's amazing. If this really works then we're set. Seventy-five percent of the Earth is covered with water. Now that's an abundant supply...

I'm curious though. Isn't HHO the same thing as H2O, two hydrogen molecules bonded to one oxygen molecule? Any scientists or chemists out there to explain this more clearly...
Old 05-24-06, 09:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

After reading the comments on YouTube.com, I have the same doubts as some of the commentators there. That is, it takes a lot of energy first to electrolyze water, and then when the water becomes hydrogen and oxygen gases and are then turned back into water/vapor, a lot of energy is LOST in the combustion process as heat. Where does the energy for electrolysis come from?
In short:
water ==>[electrolysis, drains energy from the battery]==> hydrogen + oxygen gas ==>[combustion propels the motor, but some energy is lost in heat]==> water

The entire process sounds like it's only wasting battery power and not gaining anything from anywhere. Any chemist here wanna shed some light on this?
Old 05-24-06, 10:33 PM
argabaga
Driver School Candidate

about the HHO H2O thing... one possibility is the arrangement of the actual atoms. water is arranged roughly like H-O-H, so i guess they could have called it HHO because they somehow rearranged it to be connected H-H-O. Given what I know, that arrangement should be impossible, but hey, a lot of things that people thought were impossible were proved possible in the past few decades.

Or ya, it could be just that they're stupid and wrote HHO to sound cool or something when its just hydrogen and oxygen =D

I doubt the process he uses is simply run electricity through water=>using the hydrogen and oxygen produced, because that's been looked at over and over again already by many people im pretty sure. If it is then the companies that invested millions in it(small number, but still a decent amount) should reconsider who they're hiring, if they couldn't come up with something a dude in his garage came up with.

If anything, i guess it could be possible that he found a close to 100% way to convert water to whatever it is he's making, and using that he can have a close to 100% efficient(no energy wasted) engine to propel the car.

note that it said he was running on a gas water hybrid.... something tells me it used a few gallons of gas and 4 ounces of water. If it indeed can run that far on just water, the water is probably recycled, with a tiny bit lost, but input electricity is required and whatnot, so it ends up not being as great as it seems. The short clip really doesn't give enough specifics to tell.

sounds sketchy IMO, given that its fox news(no offense to anyone, but fox news seems more like entertainment news where stuff is intentionally left out, added in etc... to make it more interesting and get viewers) but it its true, it'll be a great thing for the world, and that dudes a rich man.

Last edited by argabaga; 05-24-06 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 10:33 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
Isn't HHO the same thing as H2O, two hydrogen molecules bonded to one oxygen molecule? Any scientists or chemists out there to explain this more clearly...
I think this HHO is a total misnomer (by someone who doesn't know chemistry well? ).

The reaction, written properly, should be:
2H2O + ENERGY => 2H2 + O2

And then into combustion:
2H2 + O2 = 2H2O + ENERGY

Unfortunately the energy in the latter reaction will not be fully harnessed and will result in heat loss. The energy used in the first reaction will never be recovered. That's my real problem with this invention that sounds simply too good to be true .
Old 05-24-06, 11:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by argabaga
about the HHO H2O thing... one possibility is the arrangement of the actual atoms. water is arranged roughly like H-O-H, so i guess they could have called it HHO because they somehow rearranged it to be connected H-H-O. Given what I know, that arrangement should be impossible, but hey, a lot of things that people thought were impossible were proved possible in the past few decades.

Or ya, it could be just that they're stupid and wrote HHO to sound cool or something when its just hydrogen and oxygen =D

I doubt the process he uses is simply run electricity through water=>using the hydrogen and oxygen produced, because that's been looked at over and over again already by many people im pretty sure. If it is then the companies that invested millions in it(small number, but still a decent amount) should reconsider who they're hiring, if they couldn't come up with something a dude in his garage came up with.

If anything, i guess it could be possible that he found a close to 100% way to convert water to whatever it is he's making, and using that he can have a close to 100% efficient(no energy wasted) engine to propel the car.

note that it said he was running on a gas water hybrid.... something tells me it used a few gallons of gas and 4 ounces of water. If it indeed can run that far on just water, the water is probably recycled, with a tiny bit lost, but input electricity is required and whatnot, so it ends up not being as great as it seems. The short clip really doesn't give enough specifics to tell.

sounds sketchy IMO, given that its fox news(no offense to anyone, but fox news seems more like entertainment news where stuff is intentionally left out, added in etc... to make it more interesting and get viewers) but it its true, it'll be a great thing for the world, and that dudes a rich man.
Good points. Yeah H2O is actually HOH, and if there ever is such a thing as HHO it would theoretically be highly unstable. Perhaps the man finds a way to arrange HOH into HHO with low energy cost, and this HHO somehow releases more energy than was given when in combustion. Still sounds quite impossible to me but hey what do I know.
Old 05-24-06, 11:27 PM
argabaga
Driver School Candidate

well, as you all probably learned in middle school or wutever, conservation of energy, bla bla bla, its impossible to get more energy out than you put in, and since he started with water, and ended with water, so it would just be somehow in the process he was able to convert energy extremely efficiently.

either that, or he was somehow able to split apart the atoms completely, so that H2O becomes pure energy at the end. highly doubt it though since the best scientists haven't been able to do that efficiently as far as i know, and if he was, an ounce of water should be able to power his car for a year. And he would have solved pretty much all energy problems in the world. And be able to blow the earth up if he wanted to. =D
Old 05-24-06, 11:44 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by argabaga
well, as you all probably learned in middle school or wutever, conservation of energy, bla bla bla, its impossible to get more energy out than you put in, and since he started with water, and ended with water, so it would just be somehow in the process he was able to convert energy extremely efficiently.

either that, or he was somehow able to split apart the atoms completely, so that H2O becomes pure energy at the end. highly doubt it though since the best scientists haven't been able to do that efficiently as far as i know, and if he was, an ounce of water should be able to power his car for a year. And he would have solved pretty much all energy problems in the world. And be able to blow the earth up if he wanted to. =D
Even if there's 100% efficiency and no energy is lost in combustion, the fact that the chemical energy is converted to kinetic energy means a loss in battery power. Basically, the car could've been more effectively powered by the batteries directly. What's the point? lol.

There must be something I'm missing here...
Old 05-25-06, 12:07 AM
argabaga
Driver School Candidate

well ya thats the thing, directly powering through the battery isn't 100% efficient. its like 30% or 40% at higher speeds i think. at low speeds sure, they already can make cars that travel long distances using a few batteries. They just run at about a mile every 10 hours, and require perfectly flat roads. The best explanation i can think of would be somehow he can use his HHO or wutever gas, and be able to propel the car super efficiently with that gas.

Of course, i think the whole thing isn't real to begin with, and explanations are more of me brain farting at midnight simply because i have nothing better to do
Old 05-25-06, 12:52 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Ah, after reviewing the video again (yeah it's bugging me heh), I realize that what he does is to pre-make the HHO gas first, and then use the gas as flammable fuel to propel the car. It somewhat makes sense now, but the question remains as to how such an unstable molecule of HHO can be stored and not turn back into HOH, a much stabler and lower energy state, on its own. It just baffles me. Maybe that's why I'm still sitting here and the guy is ready to rake in billions.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-25-06 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 01:15 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Okay just found all the news articles about the invention. Pretty much confirms my last post. DaimlerChrysler is highly interested, BTW.

Still, I believe the energy cost to produce this HHO gas will effectively negate any environmental benefit that this pollutant-free fuel may bring. High energy cost also means it's hard to save money by going this route. But again, what do I know?

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.as...34566&nav=0RZF (with great video coverage!)
http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.as...39560&nav=0RZF (with another great video coverage!)
http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.as...46625&nav=0RZF (with yet another great video coverage!)
http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp...4&nav=menu73_2 (gotta love another video coverage)
http://freeinternetpress.com/modules...ticle&sid=6984
http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cf...TOKEN=21590241

Originally Posted by WAVE 3
If you're worried about losing power, don't. Unlike some other alternative fuel cars, Klein says he actually gets a couple extra horsepower when he uses Aquygen.
That's good news for sure then.
Originally Posted by KXAN
Now, using water to power cars has been tried before, but the amount of energy needed to get hydrogen out of water was immense. However, Klein says he's solved that problem. Part of the solution is using the wasted energy from a car's alternator to separate the hydrogen and oxygen in water.

"If you have excess electricity that is otherwise being wasted, one possibility is to make hydrogen out of that wasted electricity and then use that hydrogen," Allen said.
OH OH OH...so he manages to solve the energy cost problem be harnessing the wasted power from the car's alternator. Very clever indeed.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-25-06 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 02:22 AM
argabaga
Driver School Candidate

um.... i think current hybrids already do that? the generating electricity from wasted power part. Electricity is generated somewhere when you coast and brake if i remmeber correctly.

in fact, i think the alternator is one of the parts in the car that does this job(produce electricity while the car is running). I'd think the alternators inside hybrids are almost as efficient, if not at least as efficient, as wutever this dude is using, since hybrids depend on electricity so much.

also the thing posted by KXAN about wasted energy in alternator making hydrogen and oxygen.... its basically claiming he can make a more efficient alternator, since he's using electricity to make HHO.

unless of course its heat energy, which then would mean he has a way to use small amounts of heat(in car, sunlight and whatnot) to turn water into HHO

kind of light hydrogen powered cars, same exhaust of water and everything, but with hydrogen the problem was the energy needed to make the hydrogen in the first place. Energy obtained from coal and whatever, which kind of screws the point. I think the only place that uses hydrogen on cars extensively is greenland, cuz they have alotta land to put up the solar panels to create the hydrogen. Not feasible in the states because of the shear amount of solar panels needed.

hehe hopefully i made at least partial sense, getting tired. well see in the morning ^_^

Quick Reply: Tired of paying for gas? How about refueling your car with water?