Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Q3 Artist Rendering on Autobild

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 05:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Audi Q3 Artist Rendering on Autobild

The latest issue of Germany’s AutoBild magazine features a cover story on the Audi Q3 — a new compact SUV rumored to be under development at Audi. Recently, Audi officially announced plans to build a Q5 crossover for the 2008 model year. Essentially, this Q3 rendering looks like a two-door version of how we imagine the Q5 will look.

source : leftlanenews
Old 05-24-06, 08:20 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

...to compete with what?
Old 05-24-06, 08:27 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its scary looking, and not in a good way
Old 05-24-06, 09:32 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
...to compete with what?
No kidding.

I think it's irresponsible for Audi to continue to further develop their SUV offerings and this one in particular has no competetion and, as far as I can see, no place in the market. There is no niche for a luxury 2 door sport utility vehicle. People who want that kind of experience have already installed the sheep-skin seat covers in their Suzuki Samurai(s).

Somebody needs to pass this along to Audi management.

M.
Old 05-24-06, 09:32 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

two door...who'd buy a two SUV?
Old 05-24-06, 09:40 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

For some reason I see an Infiniti FX in it.

As for the "why two doors" question, I think the niche is for potential SUV people who enjoy outdoor activities but usually travel with only one passenger (no kids, etc.). To them, the extra two doors of regular SUVs are a waste. This may fit them just right.
Old 05-24-06, 09:46 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
For some reason I see an Infiniti FX in it.

As for the "why two doors" question, I think the niche is for potential SUV people who enjoy outdoor activities but usually travel with only one passenger (no kids, etc.). To them, the extra two doors of regular SUVs are a waste. This may fit them just right.
But who cares? SUV's, in general, are pretty wasteful. Most people don't NEED them ... an Outback wagon, for instance, would achieve the same tasks as well or better than most SUVs. My point being - why not get 4 doors?
M.
Old 05-24-06, 09:49 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by videcormeum
But who cares? SUV's, in general, are pretty wasteful. Most people don't NEED them ... an Outback wagon, for instance, would achieve the same tasks as well or better than most SUVs.

M.
Hello!! We're talking about if there's such a market here, not whether people NEED them or not. There may not be any NEED for SUVs for most people, but the market is perfectly there. People WANT that SUV's rugged image, hence the market.

I think the Q3 is perfect for those who WANT an SUV but don't NEED those extra doors. i.e. They would've gotten a more wasteful, 4-door SUV if an option like the Q3 is not available.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-24-06 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 09:57 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Hello!! We're talking about if there's such a market here, not whether people NEED them or not. There may not be any NEED for SUVs for most people, but the market is perfectly there. People LIKE that SUV's rugged image, hence the market.
I mean - why not get a 4 door SUV ... what would, aside from price, generate interest for this vehicle?

With the Q3 you can:

-Reduce cargo capacity!
-Expect a giggily X3-like ride due to ultra-short wheelbase!
-Hang out with your Suzuki Samurai-owning friends!

Even if it sells like hotcakes - I'll never forgive Audi for ruining all that was good about the brand and their products.

Just like the RX and the ES ruin Lexus' chances of ever competing directly w/ BMW and Mercedes, so would this Q3 ruin Audi's chances of being considered near the top of the performance-luxury totem pole.

I don't care if it makes them a lot of money or not (I don't think it will) - it will ruin the brand.

M.
Old 05-24-06, 10:08 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

I mean - why not get a 4 door SUV ... what would, aside from price, generate interest for this vehicle?

With the Q3 you can:

-Reduce cargo capacity!
-Expect a giggily X3-like ride due to ultra-short wheelbase!
-Hang out with your Suzuki Samurai-owning friends!

Even if it sells like hotcakes - I'll never forgive Audi for ruining all that was good about the brand and their products.

Just like the RX and the ES ruin Lexus' chances of ever competing directly w/ BMW and Mercedes, so would this Q3 ruin Audi's chances of being considered near the top of the performance-luxury totem pole.

I don't care if it makes them a lot of money or not (I don't think it will) - it will ruin the brand.

M.
Did the X3 or is the upcoming MLK going to ruin BMW or Mercedes? Don't think so. They're only adding sales. They're just captitalizing on the small SUV trend. And Audi is simply trying to set themselves apart with a 2-door approach. Why not? BTW, just because it has 2 less doors doesn't mean it'll have less cargo space than the X3 and MLK.

You say Audi will ruin "what was good about the brand". So what exactly is good about the brand that will be ruined? I'm sure the Q3 will have the usual upscale Audi interior appointments and a capable quattro system. Nothing good is to be lost here. Just a smaller package that fits some people's needs (or wants) better. Why not?

Business is about making the most profit possible. If small LSUVs are the trend, you'll be damned financially if you don't go with it.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-24-06 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 10:14 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Did the X3 or is the upcoming MLK going to ruin BMW or Mercedes? Don't think so. They're only adding sales. They're just captitalizing on the small SUV trend. And Audi is simply trying to set themselves apart with a 2-door. Why not?

You say Audi will ruin "what was good about the brand". What's exactly is good about the brand that will be ruined? I'm sure the Q3 will have the usual upscale Audi interior appointments and a capable quattro system? Nothing is lost here. Just a smaller package. Why not?
Anyone can build an overweight, overpriced, underperforming, piece of junk as BMW has proven with the X3 and as MB proved w/ the incredible self-destructing ML and soon will prove again with the MLK.

I respected Audi for sticking w/ capable, sensible, all-weather vehicles in sedan and wagon iterations. It established for them - among the other brands all chasing the same rotten cheese - a rare streak of character.

They're losing it. I still love their sedans - but the Audi brand isn't doing it for me like it used to.

M.

I know what business is all about ... but in addition to my personal dislike of this SUV trend, I think Audi is missing a rare opportunity to adhere to its core comptencies and ride out this fad to emerge on top of the bankrupt rest. Of course, as with any other opinion I express, I could be wrong.

Last edited by videcormeum; 05-24-06 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 10:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Anyone can build an overweight, overpriced, underperforming, piece of junk as BMW has proven with the X3 and as MB proved w/ the incredible self-destructing ML and soon will prove again with the MLK.

I respected Audi for sticking w/ capable, sensible, all-weather vehicles in sedan and wagon iterations - it established for them, among the other brands all chasing the same rotten cheese - a rare streak of character.

They're losing it. I still love their sedans - but the Audi brand isn't doing it for me like it used to.

M.
So, Lexus is the leader of this "overweight, overpriced, underperforming, piece of junk" segment right?

Again, Audi is simply doing what everybody else is already financially successfully doing. They are not the ones to blame. Blame the SUV-crazed consumers.
Old 05-24-06, 10:19 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

So, Lexus is the leader of this "overweight, overpriced, underperforming, piece of junk segment" right?
Nope - Land Rover is.

M.