Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Survey Finds Drivers Want More In-Car Electronics

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 07:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 200 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Survey Finds Drivers Want More In-Car Electronics

Posted 5/23/06 3 p.m. CDT

Consumers like electronic communication gizmos in their cars and are willing to pay extra for them — especially if the devices make them feel more secure.

Safety and security features finish ahead of entertainment features on a list of electronic communication products that consumers are willing to pay for, a survey done by the Accenture consultancy found.

"Telematics" is a term used to describe electronic devices that help a car communicate with the outside world. In February, Accenture sent questionnaires to about 1,000 motorists and received 500 responses.

Trends favor manufacturers that can replace hand-held devices with onboard factory-installed devices, says Richard Spitzer, global managing partner for Accenture's automotive practice. Consumers would rather have a phone installed onboard than dig around for a hand-held model.

In the early part of this decade, telematics was hailed as the next big thing in the auto business. So far it has failed to live up to its promise.

This time around, Spitzer says, the world may be more receptive because prices on hardware and airtime have dropped; more people are now using wireless devices; and carmakers are better prepared to incorporate platforms for new devices into new cars.

Many consumers are anticipating what devices they hope to put on their next vehicle.

"We find that relatively few want to add things to their current vehicle," Spitzer says. "The notion of the aftermarket is not as attractive. They're looking to have these things built into their next vehicle purchase.

"The gap between what people want and what they have is still fairly substantial."

Most desirable to consumers is stolen-vehicle tracking — 57 percent of those surveyed said they would like it. Only 9 percent of those surveyed actually have the feature, however.

Finishing second in the Accenture survey was remote door unlock — 55 percent want it, but only 31 percent have it. Other things people say they want include vehicle diagnostics, Yellow Pages information, navigation systems, real-time traffic updates and hands-free calling.

Consumers would be open to a one-stop solution to their electronics needs — such as Microsoft's Tbox, which includes voice-operated capability; driving directions; real-time traffic information, stock and weather reports; and vehicle diagnostics.

Tbox is a computer in the car that lets mobile phones, laptops, personal digital assistants and other devices communicate with each other and with devices outside the car.

Tbox has been slow to take off, however. Italian carmaker Fiat is alone in offering Tbox in its vehicles.

— Reported by Bradford Wernle, AutoWeek; image courtesy of the manufacturer; copyright 2006 Crain Communications, Inc.; all rights reserved

source : cars.com
Old 05-24-06, 07:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People may want more stuff, but only a few will pay for it. That's why people drool over the new LS, but end up buying a Camry...
Old 05-24-06, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
People may want more stuff, but only a few will pay for it. That's why people drool over the new LS, but end up buying a Camry...
lol, that's very mean man....... especially when i start realizing i can't afford the ls460 and might have to settle for the new camry
Old 05-24-06, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, that's very mean man....... especially when i start realizing i can't afford the ls460 and might have to settle for the new camry
Well, Henry, compromise and get an ES...you'll have the best of both worlds.
In fact, if all goes well, I plan to review a new ES this afternoon.
Old 05-24-06, 09:45 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
One four door car (GS400) is not enough for you, you have to get another one????

Why anyone would buy a Camry to replace a GS400 is beyond me Henry!

I don't get what the crazy fascination is with the LS460. Sure it is a fantastic car and all, but why would you want one in the first place? Do you really need such a big four-door sedan (boat)??
Old 05-24-06, 04:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get to drive new cars whenever I take mine in for service. I'm happy to report I'm still old school and don't intend to change. Electronics are nice...like the computer I'm using to type this. In essence we have a virtual car club. Instead of getting together daily, we can meet through the site. That's really cool.
BUT, when I drive, I care about only 2 forms of entertainment...the sweet sound of the exhaust and a nice stereo. At first it was cool watching the nav show us where we were and where we were going. The touch screen was cool, too. After a while, it's the music that keeps my attention. Always has, always will.
Old 05-24-06, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
One four door car (GS400) is not enough for you, you have to get another one????

Why anyone would buy a Camry to replace a GS400 is beyond me Henry!

I don't get what the crazy fascination is with the LS460. Sure it is a fantastic car and all, but why would you want one in the first place? Do you really need such a big four-door sedan (boat)??
coz' i am all in for vip? i have always wnated the big car, the ls is perfect.

plus, i did'nt say i am *replacing* my gs4 with the ls right? the gs isn't worth anything now, doesn't really make sense to sell it

and just imagine the ls600hl kicking *** on my gs400 modded, boy