Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Solara might get the axe after 2008

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 11:18 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Toyota Solara might get the axe after 2008

Im not the biggest fan of the exterior of this car, but I think its already time for a replacement/update. One of the most outlandish designs Toyota has made in awhile.

There is a death rumor floating around the Solara these days...

The Camry based coupe will be slightly revised for 2007.
With a new grille and LED tail lights among other things. And although you would think a move to the new 3.5 liter V6 would be automatic, the Solara might not even get it. (that's a weird rumor if you ask me, since Toyota is saving $1000 on each 3.5 compared to the 3.3...)
But is might not be redesigned when the regular cycle is over, the 2009 Model year.
I just drove a Solara convertible a couple of weeks ago. And I thought it was a great car. Solid, quiet and a pleasure to drive.

Toyota is trying to come up with a car that would "attract a different demographic" but still based on the Camry.
My bet is on a new 2 door hardtop convertible with a new name.

By then, even the Sebring will have a hard top, and I don't think Toyota would be far behind...
Solara – Minor Changes
For 2007, Solara gets an improved 4-cylinder engine and numerous
new options. New standard equipment includes LED tail
light, HID headlamp (Sport), unique 17” wheel (Sport), rear spoiler
(SE and SLE), unique spoiler (Sport), MP3 audio capability,
voice-activated Bluetooth interface with JBL audio (SLE), 6-disc
changer (SE and Sport) and curtain side airbags (Coupe only).
Desert Sand Mica paint is discontinued for 2007 and a new color,
Magnetic Gray, is added.
Old 05-23-06, 12:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I've actually heard this news coming through the grapevine through my sources. The 1st Gen Solara was a classic. The 2nd Gen interpretation of the Solara in my opinion isn't that great. TRD generated the performance and enthusiast market for this car (TRD Solara Pace Car, TRD SC and etc). It was actually a fun car for it's time but if you think about it....FWD, and alot of HP isn't fun to drive in the twisties unless your curb weight is way less than 2 tons.
Old 05-23-06, 05:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

blah, probably just like Rav4 was axed for 2007 :-).
Old 05-23-06, 07:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I think the Solara should live on...

I owned a 2004 Solara SLE when it came out, and I found it as comfortable as a Camry (well, it is, isn't it), but definately with a unique (love it or hate it) style. I enjoyed it for the 18 months I owned it.

The reason why it should live: there is nothing else like it on the market. The only car that is similar to it is the Accord Coupe, and that doesn't have a convertible version. And who would want to ride a Sebring?

These cars are not for sports/performance driving. It's a two-door Camry with a bit stiffer suspension and bigger wheels. Leave the performance driving to the Celica and MR2. Wait, those were discontinued... Toyota, get that taken care of!!!
Old 05-23-06, 07:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I feel sad for the Solara owners when they continue to detune so to speak these vehicles new so to speak instead of evolving (a 3.5 L V6 should be tossed in there).

The first generation is also my favorite with the 1MZFE motor, since a few of the RX300 owners and I have been stealing several of their ideas to make our little RXs go faster (pulley & soon headers are two examples).

Although we still have the MR2 in Mexico (and also the Solara) sold new, you would think that the Solara would become something of the replacement in the U.S. with a new design and bumped up horses unless they really want to give some big separation with the new Supra.
Old 05-23-06, 09:19 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new solara's styling is the problem redesign it and make it look a little more like a Lexus SC and bring back the manual V6 combo and toyota should see an increase in sales.
Old 05-23-06, 09:24 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I've thought for a while now that for Toyota to axe the Solara provides room for a Supra, something that they still have blueprints, but no solid plans for.

Selling two coupes that are about the same size, in the same price range, with similar engines, wouldn't really make sense for Toyota but if they were to drop the Solara it would open a space for the Supra. Obviously the main difference would be that a Supra would be RWD, but I also think that they could make it as pleasant and refined as the Solara (keeping most of those customers) but also make it RWD and sporty enough to detract buyers from the 350Z, RX8, Mustang, ect, and also call back the old Supra loyalists.

Just a pipedream, but it might work? Who knows?
Old 05-23-06, 09:45 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I've thought for a while now that for Toyota to axe the Solara provides room for a Supra, something that they still have blueprints, but no solid plans for.

Selling two coupes that are about the same size, in the same price range, with similar engines, wouldn't really make sense for Toyota but if they were to drop the Solara it would open a space for the Supra. Obviously the main difference would be that a Supra would be RWD, but I also think that they could make it as pleasant and refined as the Solara (keeping most of those customers) but also make it RWD and sporty enough to detract buyers from the 350Z, RX8, Mustang, ect, and also call back the old Supra loyalists.

Just a pipedream, but it might work? Who knows?
Um, I don't think Supra and Solara are in the same market at all. The Solara is designed to be a comfortable FWD cruiser for 4, while the Supra is supposed to be an all-out, light-weight sports coupe that may only seat 2. I still think there are markets for both. Toyota should not keep killing their 2-doors but should instead think of how they can make them more attractive (hint: the looks!).
Old 05-23-06, 10:41 AM
Sup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Um, I don't think Supra and Solara are in the same market at all. The Solara is designed to be a comfortable FWD cruiser for 4, while the Supra is supposed to be an all-out, light-weight sports coupe that may only seat 2. I still think there are markets for both. Toyota should not keep killing their 2-doors but should instead think of how they can make them more attractive (hint: the looks!).

it sets up perfectly for the Supra replacement.

the Solara and the Supra are different cars, however the price points are in the same market.

the Supra replacement will be available in a V6 hardtop convertible and a V8 fixed roof performance model. low to mid 30k's for the V6 and 45k for the V8 IMO.
Old 05-23-06, 10:46 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sup

the Solara and the Supra are different cars, however the price points are in the same market.

the Supra replacement will be available in a V6 hardtop convertible and a V8 fixed roof performance model. low to mid 30k's for the V6 and 45k for the V8 IMO.
Again, just because two cars share the same price points doesn't mean they are in the same market. I very much doubt people would even cross-shop between the Solara and the Supra at all. They are, as you also said, totally different cars. So axing the Solara "sets up perfectly for the Supra replacement"? How?
Old 05-23-06, 12:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Effectively they're both Toyota, 6cylinder, similarly priced, similarly sized, coupes. Not everyone who bought a Supra was a sports enthusiast. When I worked at a Toyota dealership, believe it or not we probably had more supra owners who bought it because it was a high quality, reliable and dependable, well designed and well engineered coupe than because it was RWD and fast as hell. Most of the ones that we serviced were NOT TT models, and were owned by average people.

I think that there would be a small group of current Solara owners who would not consider a new Supra, are larger group of previous Supra owners who would never consider a Solara, but a lot of people who could find a happy medium in a present-day Supra if it existed. No doubt that Toyota could drop in a nice interior and a smooth ride, plus the 3.5L V6 which would please current Solara owners, and then also offer a Turbo or Sport/Track Model to please enthusiasts.

When Solara owners come back looking for a replacement, they'd have to be stupid to not consider a car that was more powerful, more fuel efficient, probably better looking, and still typically Toyota refined, reliable, and durable....for about the same amount of money that they paid for their Solara.

This is also not to mention the amount of sales that would be generated with a RWD V6 Toyota Coupe.
Old 05-23-06, 02:42 PM
LexFather

Toyota and Lexus needs a more hardcore coupe. The Solara has a very nice interior but besides that, excels at nothing. Its a good car and good coupes don't cut the mustard, just ask Acura and their discontinued CL.

Coupes either have to be drop dead gorgous or have high performance or both. They HAVE to look good, the GTO has all the good on paper but looks bland. The ACura CL was bland.

The G35 may have an awful interior but its a good looking coupe, and that is 90% of the reason you buy a coupe, thus it sells, not to mention its a damn good perfomer.

I love the front end of the Solara, the rest is pretty ungainly to me.

Old 05-23-06, 04:25 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Toyota and Lexus needs a more hardcore coupe. The Solara has a very nice interior but besides that, excels at nothing. Its a good car and good coupes don't cut the mustard, just ask Acura and their discontinued CL.

Coupes either have to be drop dead gorgous or have high performance or both. They HAVE to look good, the GTO has all the good on paper but looks bland. The ACura CL was bland.

The G35 may have an awful interior but its a good looking coupe, and that is 90% of the reason you buy a coupe, thus it sells, not to mention its a damn good perfomer.

I love the front end of the Solara, the rest is pretty ungainly to me.
That's why as I said in my post above, Toyota SHOULD keep the Solara but give it a MUCH sexier look than it has now. There's a market for it for sure (i.e. for people who just want to comfortably cruise in a gorgeous 2-door and get all the attention but can care less about true performance). Toyota just has to do it right by giving it that truly sexy look. Again, don't drop the Solara please, Toyota. It has the potential to sell.
Old 05-23-06, 05:25 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sup

Unless Toyota wants a model to compete with the IS coupe, there won't be another Supra
Old 05-23-06, 06:47 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Toyota can have both a new solara and a supra. However i do see the supra taking a few solara sales away. But i dont see the opposite most solara owners would turn down the supra because its not practical enough.

Quick Reply: Toyota Solara might get the axe after 2008