Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Still Alive: SVT Editions of Ford Edge, Fusion Being Considered

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 08:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Still Alive: SVT Editions of Ford Edge, Fusion Being Considered

Still Alive: SVT Editions of Ford Edge, Fusion Reportedly Being Considered
Date posted: 05-22-2006

DEARBORN, Mich. — Ford is looking to expand its high performance lineup, pondering SVT variants of its midsize Fusion sedan and Edge crossover vehicle, according to a report in the industry publication Ward's.

Such a move would reassure Ford enthusiasts who have seen the company scale back its high-performance stable and scuttle plans for SVT editions of the full-size F-150 pickup and midsize Explorer Sport Trac. Ford previously had showed concept versions of the F-150 SVT Lightning and Sport Trac Adrenalin, but it eventually decided not to put the vehicles into production.

At the moment, the new Shelby Mustang GT500 is the principal standard bearer for the SVT brand. The new 2007 model is so hot, it is already fetching Internet bids of $15,000 and more over the estimated $40,000 base sticker, even though the car has yet to go on sale.

Ford executive Mark Fields has said the company also plans to do a performance truck with SVT badging, but he didn't specify which model.

What this means to you: SVT may not be totally dead in the water after all.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=115460#2
Old 05-22-06, 09:21 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I am happy to see they are getting SVT a possible new life. Keeping in mind all of the problems our domestic carmakers are having, in the rest of the world brands like Ford are still holding their own even if the have a tough time in the U.S. Example in point is the SVT models where I live in Mexico where they had a good deal of success. I know one sales guy who has a Focus SVT and they have a little SVT club here and he remembers how when they first started showing up, people wanted them but unfortunately they could never satisfy demand. Eventually, the home office in the U.S. had their dicing and slicing operations and they made a lot of SVT model owners unhappy. The SVT group is still one of the most loyal groups I have ever encountered at my local track.
Old 05-22-06, 09:36 PM
LexFather

I hope they are not FWD.
If so, I would love a SVT Ford 500 AWD then.