Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen to supply Porsche with bodies for new Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 11:16 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Volkswagen to supply Porsche with bodies for new Panamera

The Volkswagen Group has won a major order from Porsche AG. The Volkswagen plant in Hanover will produce the painted bodies for Porsche’s new “Panamera” sports coupé to be launched in 2009, and deliver them to Porsche’s plant in Leipzig.

Dr. Bernd Wiedemann, Spokesman for the Board of Management of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, commented: “The order from Porsche shows we have made significant progress towards more competitiveness. Our efforts are taking us in the right direction. Productivity, flexibility and quality were the decisive factors in securing this order for our Hanover operations.” He underlined that the decision would bring long-term security for some 500 jobs in Hanover.

Wiedemann added that the decision in favor of Hanover was good news for the plant. “The model diversity of our T5 demonstrates we have high production flexibility. Our large suction press can produce parts up to five meters in length, and our paint shop can apply 24 different standard colors and some 130 special color combinations.”

President and CEO of Porsche AG, Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking, said: “We examined several offers very closely before taking our decision. The VW plant in Hanover not only impressed us with its range of services, but above all with its high flexibility and broad production know-how. We are therefore convinced this plant will supply us with bodies that meet our premium quality specifications.”

The Committee for Business Relations with Shareholders, which has been set up by the Supervisory Board of Volkswagen AG, has taken note of the planned cooperation between Volkswagen and Porsche.

Old 05-19-06, 11:17 PM
LexFather

Is it just me but ouside Porsche 911, every name in Porsche history (maybe not the 356 and CGT) has sucked major nuts.

Cayman
Boxster
Panamara
Cayenne

Old 05-19-06, 11:29 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Panamera at least refers to something.

it references the Pan American racing series that Porsche did well in some decades ago.

Cayenne sucks cuz it's a pepper.

and i don't mind the Boxster nor the Cayman. i don't really get the numbers thing though.
Old 05-19-06, 11:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by whoster
the Panamera at least refers to something.

it references the Pan American racing series that Porsche did well in some decades ago.

Cayenne sucks cuz it's a pepper.

and i don't mind the Boxster nor the Cayman. i don't really get the numbers thing though.
Yeah, they used to have some special 911s with that name. Not anymore. It sure as hell wasn't them racing a 4 door there

Old 05-19-06, 11:57 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Is it just me but ouside Porsche 911, every name in Porsche history (maybe not the 356 and CGT) has sucked major nuts.

Cayman
Boxster
Panamara
Cayenne
I totally disagree. I can't speak for the first three (though I am a fan of the 944) but the Cayman offers excellent performance and handling without a $90,000 pricetag. If you don't believe me go drive one, after I got out of the car I couldn't believe the base price was $58,000.

The boxster offered a porsche that was affordable but still expensive enough to remain relatively exclusive. With a mid engine 6 cylinder it held true to the porsche name, and though some complain its a little slow, its not a 911, and its priced half as much as one. It also gave porsche quantity sales it could use the money from to expand their line up.

The Panamara in my opinion looks beautiful and its excellent for affluent people with family's where a 2 seater is impractical but they don't want a SUV.

Speaking of SUV, the reason there is so little complaints about the Cayenne is because porsche built a SUV that still drove like a porsche.

It's so easy to pull the elitist porsche card and shun everything that's not a 911. Some people really need to step out of that box and see that the company offers more then the 911 and CGT.
Old 05-20-06, 08:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Cayman
Boxster
Panamara
Cayenne
Well, I think one could toss the 914 and 924 in there. I actually like the 914 but wanted to bump it up in the power department. The 924 was a disaster. Cayenne I don't like due to the weight, small intercoolers and inefficient cooling compared to the power offered in their turbo models.

The rest of them weren't bad for what was offered at the given price.
Old 05-20-06, 10:13 AM
LexFather

Guys, I am a Porsche fan. I got maybe 10 books on the company and subscribe to the mags.

I said the "NAMES" sucked, not the cars.

the NAMES.

Old 05-20-06, 10:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by IVXX
The Panamara in my opinion looks beautiful and its excellent for affluent people with family's where a 2 seater is impractical but they don't want a SUV..
I'm sure you're just referring to the PS's & CGI's but I am all for Porsche making a 4 door sports sedan(coupe) though
Old 05-20-06, 10:29 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Guys, I am a Porsche fan. I got maybe 10 books on the company and subscribe to the mags.

I said the "NAMES" sucked, not the cars.

the NAMES.
I dunno I like the names, now the 1971 Porshce Crotchrot, THAT was a bad name
Old 05-20-06, 10:50 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cayman
Boxster
Panamara
Cayenne
I totally disagree with you here buddy!!!!
IMO its just you
Old 05-20-06, 11:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't like the Cayenne & Cayman names, but the rest are OK . . .
Old 05-20-06, 11:14 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

After my Cayman test drive the salesman asked what I thought and I replyed:

"I just Cayman my pants"

He thought it was pretty funny too
Old 05-20-06, 11:42 AM
jwa
Pole Position

Productivity, flexibility and quality were the decisive factors in securing this order for our Hanover operations.” He underlined that the decision would bring long-term security for some 500 jobs in Hanover.
Is anyone other than me suprised that it takes 500 people to make car bodies for 1 model? In modern factories, this is the part that's done almost entirely by robotics. Has there been an estimate on how many of the Panamera's they expect to sell?

I support Porsche's decision to give their cars names instead of just model designations, and IMO more car makers should do the same. Even if I don't like the names, I find it easier to remember and recognize than a number-letter combination.

As Porsche continues to add new models to it's lineup, growing pains should be a concern. I'll be interested in seeing how quality and reliability hold up over the next few years.