Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Our new Camry is dead at the Dealer with a tranny failure.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 05:54 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our new Camry is dead at the Dealer with a tranny failure.

330~ miles later, transmission died. The Service manager was really nice. But this is a known issue now with Toyota. This is the 2nd one so far with the same problems that this dealer has seen. He said Toyota talked to him about it and filled him in on it. There is a revision out now for this transmission.

Toyota can replace it, but Toyota is giving the customer 2 options.

1) Replace the transmission with Gen2 and giving the customer compensation like a free full extended warranty.

2) Toyota will buy back the car and give the customer one just like it with the same options.

I think she is going #2. She doesn't like the idea of her car being torn all apart when its a week old. We will find out more tomorrow and Monday from Toyota. We will keep you posted.

When I drove the car down there to the dealer , the car check engine lights, VDC lights, are all on. And when it shifts from 1-2 it actually makes the tires spin. Plus its getting stuck in gears.

Toyota definitely though is going leaps and bounds over what Nissan would never do. Glad to see that.
Old 05-19-06, 06:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Wow Russ you got a new Camry, didn't even know that. Hope your issue gets resolved quickly. Option #2 sounds the best.
Old 05-19-06, 06:11 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Yea kinda sucks since I viewed Toyota as a very reliable car company and recommended that car to her. She just got rid of a problem car and now she has another. It is kinda disappointing. She's been crying a bit so I am trying to calm her down some. I think she will be fine in the morning when we go pick up the rental.
Old 05-19-06, 06:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Well good luck on that. When and if you guys get back up and running...try to get us some dyno numbers on it.
Old 05-19-06, 06:24 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Toyota tranny failure?
Old 05-19-06, 06:38 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

LOL nice....I guess we have one of the 160 cars. lol

DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) is calling back approximately 160 of its best-selling Camry sedans built in the 2007 model year in order to fix a glitch with the transmission on certain models.

The Japanese auto maker, known for its stellar quality reputation, launched the redesigned 2007 Camry in March. In a press release issued Tuesday, Toyota said six-cylinder models of the new car have the potential for the loss of second and sixth gears while being driven.

Buyers experiencing the problem are encouraged in the press release to return the car to a Toyota dealership where it can be fixed. Toyota isn't sending an official letter to customers or issuing a formal recall because the issue isn't a "safety campaign or safety issue," Toyota spokeswoman Allison Takahashi said.

Toyota said the condition is expected to affect about a half-percent of early Camry sales and the car will operate even if second and sixth gears are lost. The company said the condition usually manifests within the first 500 miles of operation and is caused by a fastener within the transmission becoming loose. Toyota found the problem during durability testing, Takahashi said, and the company has changed its production process on the Camry to ensure the problem doesn't persist in forthcoming models.
Old 05-19-06, 06:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the brand new car. It'll be better as any other problems that arise won't be tied to the tranny.
Old 05-19-06, 07:01 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G35_TX
LOL nice....I guess we have one of the 160 cars. lol

DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) is calling back approximately 160 of its best-selling Camry sedans built in the 2007 model year in order to fix a glitch with the transmission on certain models.

The Japanese auto maker, known for its stellar quality reputation, launched the redesigned 2007 Camry in March. In a press release issued Tuesday, Toyota said six-cylinder models of the new car have the potential for the loss of second and sixth gears while being driven.

Buyers experiencing the problem are encouraged in the press release to return the car to a Toyota dealership where it can be fixed. Toyota isn't sending an official letter to customers or issuing a formal recall because the issue isn't a "safety campaign or safety issue," Toyota spokeswoman Allison Takahashi said.

Toyota said the condition is expected to affect about a half-percent of early Camry sales and the car will operate even if second and sixth gears are lost. The company said the condition usually manifests within the first 500 miles of operation and is caused by a fastener within the transmission becoming loose. Toyota found the problem during durability testing, Takahashi said, and the company has changed its production process on the Camry to ensure the problem doesn't persist in forthcoming models.
Small world. Go with option #2.
Old 05-19-06, 07:23 PM
wiz2
Rookie

GO #2

Damn is Toyota getting Honda trannies ??
Old 05-19-06, 08:01 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Toyota definitely though is going leaps and bounds over what Nissan would never do. Glad to see that.
WOW, I've have exceptional service at Nissan and Toyota has been such a royal pain

either way they all such and I usually buy cars and never return to the dealer for anything

Good Luck with your new 2nd car
Old 05-19-06, 11:11 PM
LexFather

I swear to the maker of Goldfish crackers, I am not surprised. As a matter of fact, I now believe the Titantic was using Toyota coal engines and it wasn't the great plauge that killed tens of millions of Europeans in the 17th century but Toyota.

Old 05-19-06, 11:20 PM
93 LS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the options are better than most would offer,! If it was a Ford for example, the service department would say that it was normal operation as oposed to offering a soultion to the problem.

Last edited by 93 LS4; 05-19-06 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 11:25 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC 1JZ
I thing the options are great,! If it was a Ford for example, the service department would say that it was normal operation as oposed to offering a soultion to the problem.
^ That's VERY true.

Did they buy these transmissions from Acura?

As stated by other posters, #2 is the way to go. Good luck, and I hate to hear this. Any fears that this could effect the ES350 as well? I plan on getting either that or a Camry XLE V6
Old 05-19-06, 11:26 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I'd get the new car w/ gen2 transmission if I were you.

Some of you have made comments about Nissan service.

Now this is just my experience:

I own a Nissan, as a few of you know, and I've never had a problem with my dealership's service department. In fact, the service managers know my name (even though I rarely get service performed there other than oil changes and the periodic recommended full service).

My mom used to own a Toyota Sienna and we never got decent service at the Toyota dealership here. One time the rear air vents fell off ( ) and couldn't be re-attached. So the dealership told us they'd order parts and call us when they came in. Weeks later, nothing. So I called and asked about the parts order. They hadn't ordered anything ... Eventually that got repaired. The second problem came when the sliding side door wouldn't shut because of a faulty latch. Again, a part order was necessary. And guess what? Same story. Weeks later - no part.

I'm proud to report that we don't have the Sienna anymore - we sold it before it completely fell apart.

I'm sure my experience with Toyota and Nissan dealerships isn't the norm ... but I'd never buy a Toyota if I had to have it serviced in the Charleston, SC area (by Gene Reed Toyota) - that's for sure.

M.
Old 05-19-06, 11:34 PM
93 LS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by videcormeum
I'd get the new car w/ gen2 transmission if I were you.

Some of you have made comments about Nissan service.

Now this is just my experience:

I own a Nissan, as a few of you know, and I've never had a problem with my dealership's service department. In fact, the service managers know my name (even though I rarely get service performed there other than oil changes and the periodic recommended full service).

My mom used to own a Toyota Sienna and we never got decent service at the Toyota dealership here. One time the rear air vents fell off ( ) and couldn't be re-attached. So the dealership told us they'd order parts and call us when they came in. Weeks later, nothing. So I called and asked about the parts order. They hadn't ordered anything ... Eventually that got repaired. The second problem came when the sliding side door wouldn't shut because of a faulty latch. Again, a part order was necessary. And guess what? Same story. Weeks later - no part.

I'm proud to report that we don't have the Sienna anymore - we sold it before it completely fell apart.

I'm sure my experience with Toyota and Nissan dealerships isn't the norm ... but I'd never buy a Toyota if I had to have it serviced in the Charleston, SC area (by Gene Reed Toyota) - that's for sure.

M.

I beg to differ, I owned an 03 Maxima and had a few issues come up with the 3.5 VQ eneine and was not at all happy with Nissan's Service. I heard alot of " it's normal operation before things finnaly got repaired. Nissan will not replace a part that's on it's way out till it craps out. I was told this by two service managers at two diffirent dealers. Lexus on the other and knows it has a repuation to protect and will got out of there way to make sure your car is 100% perfect. I think Toyota's service department might be similar.

Quick Reply: Our new Camry is dead at the Dealer with a tranny failure.